Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farce at Coolough/Crestwood road

Options
  • 27-05-2008 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I've just been informed today that Galway City Council are going ahead with a CPO on a land owner.

The land in question (can I name the land owner?) is opposite the house on the brow of the hill that connects the dkye road to the coolough road (the road behind crestwood)

This was in the Galway City Tribune a few weeks ago. The residents were furious at the amount of accidents in the area. [off topic... oh I've just seen the you tube link in boards... perhaps I'll vid the area.../]
    Anyway the long and short of it is that the owner of the land is a prick, and would prefer money over the lives of people... it could well happen that someone has a serious crash.

CPO's take years. The council have know about this c*nt since then... perhaps they are in kohoots??? I don't know, all I know is that this job should be done now, the owner is willing to take the long scenic route.

Do people know about this place and what are your views.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If it was your land, would you really take less money than the amount the market will pay?
    Maybe the landowner has been refused planning permission by the Council previously and therefore is holding a grudge?

If motorists know that it is a dangerous stretch of road, then why are'nt they slowing down and proceeding with care..I've seen motorists going too fast on that road in the past and it's obvious how traffic incidents can occur.

Maybe the council should put in traffic-calming measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Although I don't know that stretch of road was going to say something similar in that if its a known accident blackspot why haven't the council done something to slow traffic.
    Can't really see what the guy who owns the land has done wrong? Has he refused offers from the council before?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

yeah he has refused offers before. CPO can take up to two years... The council put road markings on the road but they are useless. The quality of the road is terrible. Map of where the road is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

yeah he has refused offers before. CPO can take up to two years... The council put road markings on the road but they are useless. The quality of the road is terrible. Map of where the road is

It's akin to saying that I have some cheek having a spare room with homeless people out there.

If CPO takes up to two years then that's not the landowners problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Andrea B. wrote: »
    It's akin to saying that I have some cheek having a spare room with homeless people out there.

If CPO takes up to two years then that's not the landowners problem.
    Agree.

Pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Complaining that a land owner does not want to give up his land? :rolleyes:

He owns the land and damn bloody right if he does not want to sell it by choice he should stall it. It is not the landowners problem that a dodgy road exists. If the only way of making a corner safe was to CPO your familly home of a couple of generations would you roll over like a good puppy?

The landowner has been given numerous chances to comply with city council. He will now probably end up getting less money thru the CPO. This is not a family home, this is a disused field.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/warning-signs-at-accident-black-spot-a-%27disgrace%27,-says-cllr-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

The landowner has been given numerous chances to comply with city council.

You mean they offered him a price for the field and he said "no"? That's all I can get from the article.
    He will now probably end up getting less money thru the CPO.

Your point being?
    This is not a family home, this is a disused field.

But at the end of the day it belongs to somebody who is acting within the law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The bottom line is motorists are taking chances they should not be taking on that road. It's not really a landowner vs. the public good issue imo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

How did so many housing developments get planning without road upgrades being factored into it?
    It sounds/looks like a hill. Can the road not be graded to give a smoother slope?
    is it two proper lanes or white stripes painted on boreen?

Are there 'hill' or 'slow' roadsigns on either side of the hill?

Please don't post the landowner's name here. It's easy to find it out from the council if you're actually interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

po0k wrote: »
    How did so many housing developments get planning without road upgrades being factored into it?
    That's the part of it that doesn't make sense :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It is a dodgy road but it wasn't designed for the amount of traffic it's getting. Po0k hit the nail on the head. Piss poor planning.

That first rock there on the bottom left of the picture was 4/5 foot high all the way down, but now the wall is virtually gone.

Its a miracle no one has been seriously injured yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sniipe wrote: »
    Anyway the long and short of it is that the owner of the land is a prick, and would prefer money over the lives of people

I like money too...alot more than others people lives..unless she's hot! ;)

Advertisement