Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have You Ever Freaked Out?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Just curious to be honest. When I was getting ready for my first tattoo I was fine the 2 days leading up to it while my friends were freaking out. In my head I was thinking "it'll be exciting - nothing to worry about!!"... Then the day came and when I realised the tattoo was going to be a whole lot bigger that I was expecting, I thought I was going to pass out about with the apprehension.

I smoked 3 cigarettes in the half hour beforehand and popped a Xanax (with the Studio's approval) and then went in shaking. My hand went cold and clammy and I went all giggly (that's what happens when I get nervous). Glad I didn't walk out though because I have no regrets whatsoever!!

I've heard stories where people need to have their tatts done over a few days and don't go back after the first day so they have a half completed tattoo. And another one where the girl passed out when she was getting inked. I don't know how many of these stories are urban legends so I thought I'd hand it over to ye for yer stories :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Didn't have any problems getting either of my two done, a bit of nerves beforehand of course, but no panic or freaking out tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I'm quite nervous before piercings and was very nervous before my tattoo, but held it together. I find the thought of getting it done is much worse than the reality.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Piercings always make me nervous for some reason but getting ink doesnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

i think we al get a bit nervous .. i do on pericing more then tatoos.. think its cause i know exactly what to expect from a tatoo. with a pericing its in a different place and i dont know what its going to feel like.

but all in all. i kinda like it. the excitment and nervousness about getting one is basicly fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I do get a bit on edge and giggly before tattoos, but I don't get incapacitatingly nervous. Been so long since I got pierced that I can't remember what it's like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 vathar

Well, before my first tattoo, I was thinking "Ok, I know it will hurt, but just how much?" ... Ate 2 double cheeseburgers to settle my stomach and was too busy digesting Mc Donald's crap that it went fine ...

Until the first cut ... "ouch, that's gonna be a long afternoon" :(

Then the phrase that saved the day.

"yeah, this is the part that cut the most, I have to cut deeper when drawing the first lines, rest should go easier"

And so it went!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

in our shop we have the usual nervous people, but not to long ago we had one guy come in.. he thought he was all manly and buff.. 5 mins into his outline he passed out and did a number 2 in his pants... now that was something i, not getting tattooed had to freak out over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Kastro wrote: »
    in our shop we have the usual nervous people, but not to long ago we had one guy come in.. he thought he was all manly and buff.. 5 mins into his outline he passed out and did a number 2 in his pants... now that was something i, not getting tattooed had to freak out over.

:eek:That's disgusting!
    Sure he wasn't some sort of druggy?

Can't say I've ever freaked out, was a bit on edge the first time I got a tattoo and then the last time as well as they were on my sides and I can be ticklish at times so it was a matter of ensuring that this wasn't going to be one of these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Kastro, that's hilarious! While I was getting mine done, a guy came in and the poor fella's face when the needle touched his arm... You could see the blood drain from his face but then it was fine again after a few minutes. It kept me entertained for a while though.

farohar, i'm also very ticklish- it was so hard not to jerk when the artist hit parts of my back!

I love the adrenaline of piercings though. I've only a few done but the rush I get is unreal!! It's definitely not as apprehensive as getting a tattoo.

When I was getting a particularly sore piercing done, right after it I was walking out. Some guy just got his labret pierced, he was a bit shakey lookin. Poor fella fainted walkin out the door. I felt real manly to be honest :pac: was hilarious, not for him obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

what ya get done wilburt? was it pierced with a big rusty nail? :D

Appa and it was done by a big durty frenchman

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Only thing i was really sh*tting it about was when i got my tongue done a few years ago. Thought it was going to fall off in the studio or something :p

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Becki-Jay

All i felt when i was getting my tattoos done was excitement !
    Got my bellybutton pierced a few weeks back and i was grand, but i felt as if i was going to faint afterwards!!!!
    I think all the emotions went way to fast around my body .. was grand after about 10 mins tough

Yeah, when I was younger I used to go into jewellers just to get one ear pierced at a time if I was bored and needed some excitement for a few hours lol :D Now I've 5 in my left ear and 3 on my right and I'm afraid of going up any more on my left ear because of the cartilage.

I dunno, I think I've been bitten by the bodmod bug... I'm hoping to get my nape done in a few weeks above my tattoo. I'm afraid of rejection though... but it'll be exciting anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

I was a bit nervous on my first tattoo(only tattoo) but I can't say it hurt that much. The outline was a bit uncomfortable and most of the shading was bearable but I have a large(ish) area shaded that was the most painful.

I'll probably be a little more nervous on the next. I'm getting on a bit and not overly sure if it's the right thing to do. I love the one I have and want another but, ah we'll see! If I can be fully sure the piece will be artistic and very well done then I'll go for it. The idea it there!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I've never freaked out before a piercing or tattoo, but my right arm started to shake manically after the third hour when getting coloured in - I think it went into shock and just started twitching on its own which in turn freaked me out a li'l cos I couldn't control it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

^that happened me on my ankle piece. leg just decided enough was enough and wouldnt let me do ****. had to finish it up that day, which was annoying, cos i only had a couple of weeks left in the country at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

was grand getting tongue pierced, but as i stood up to walk out I got dizzy, started seein stars, my hearing went funny, I could hear a buzz in my ears, had to lie down for a min! Was crazy!

First tattoo, I got so nervous before hand I was out on the street outside down on my hunkers, taking deep breaths n all that, and bouncing on my hunkers, my mates did more laughing at me! Then getting it down, now it only took 20mins but it was on a wicked painful area (for me anyway), and I went into a it o panicey shock, started havin things happen like after my tongue hanppened, thought I was gonna go! Soon as I got outside after it though I was starvin and marched the lads down to Supermacs!

Gettin tragus pierced, was a bit nervey, and a bit tired feeling after it but meh!

Gettin nape pierced was sore, but was grand for it, had a trusty bottle of fanta at hand.

Gettin second tatt, I was more prepared and pumped, took a painkiller before I went in, brought a bottle of sprite with me and was fine, didn't feel a thing!

Gettin third tatt, went in pumped, sprite in hand, no painkillers, got the tatt on what is meant to be the worst area to get inked and by god did bits of it hurt but was grand!

I've very much come to believe that how much you freak is as much down the artist/piercer as anything else and how much they put you at ease!

yeah if they are in control and can calm you down makes it all the more easier.
    the bit i hate when getting pierced is right before the needle goes through...

before clamps - heart rate normal
    Clamps come out, area clamped - heart rate rising
    needle comes out - rising
    once blade is through - adrenaline
    jewelry in - heart rate slowing, getting back to normal
    walking out happily on an andrenaline rush :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

It's just the anticipation and waiting like are they going to do it or what.

Wilburt, that's exactly the way I am when I'm getting a piercing. My heart rate starts sky rocketing once the clamp is on. The last guy laughed at me when I was getting the bottom of my bellybutton done as I had my eyes squeezed once I laid down. He wanted to show me the out of date stamp on the needle packaging and I was just like "It's ok I believe you!! Just do it!!" but he wouldn't until I opened one eye for a split second and looked! :D

I love the adrenaline, it makes me want more piercings!!

eep.. im starting to get all nervous and excited about my piercing tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What you getting done Froo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I'm fine with getting piercings, maybe slightly nervous when the needles going in, but no more.

I actually get more nervous when I'm asking the counter-person for the piercing, I'm a shy young man, don't like talking to strangers!

That's not mancore behaviour sofaspud

it's only unmanly if you let the nerves get the better of your :cool:

and damo, ill post a picture up this evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Was waiting to get tattooed an a spanish girl was already in before me.

It sounded like she was giving birth to a mule, never heard of anything like it before, was hilarious!!

haha^

and awww, my piercer didnt show yesterday :( not 100% sure im gonna go back to him now, i did very specifically want it done yesterday, cos it's a long weekend, and that'll give it the max chance to heal before work again.

mate was telling me about a piercer he highly recommends, (though he doesnt have any piercings, so im a lil bit sceptical), but gonna check her out over the next fortnight now i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

I got my nose done yesterday. I was a little nervous before getting it done, had to hold my friend's hand lol :P! I was grand after, and it's not really sore (unless I yawn lol). Panicking a bit now, because I'm after reading how bad getting it pierced with a gun is! I'm going to Irish College in a week and I do NOT want an infection on my face O_o...

xxx

Advertisement