Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax Question

Options
  • 27-05-2008 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

My car has been off the road for a year but got an engine into it and its ready to roll again:pac::pac:

I need to get it taxed but dont want to pay for the month of may. Could i Get the Guards to stamp the RF100a form to declare it off the road till 01/06/08 and go into the tax office before then to pay for the year?? (i.e do it this week? as i need the car for work next week)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mkdon05 wrote: »
    My car has been off the road for a year but got an engine into it and its ready to roll again:pac::pac:

I need to get it taxed but dont want to pay for the month of may. Could i Get the Guards to stamp the RF100a form to declare it off the road till 01/06/08 and go into the tax office before then to pay for the year?? (i.e do it this week? as i need the car for work next week)

Afaik if you walk in now and pay it today it will be taxed for the whole month of May. To my knowledge if you want the tax to start from June you need to tax it during the month of June.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They'll only witness your signature stating the period of non use, after it's has expired :D

If you need to use it in May, you need to tax it for May too.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

thats what i thought, my problem is i'll need it on the 2nd of june but the tax office is not open on the 1st cos of Bank Holiday,
    So say I went to the guards on the 1st and got the form stamped, Then i drove the car to work on the morning of the 2nd and got someone to go the tax office for me during the day, what would you reckon the guards would do if I was stopped on that morning with the stamped RF100a form but a tax disc that displays 06/07.
    Impounded? Summons? Blind eye:o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

mkdon05 wrote: »
    thats what i thought, my problem is i'll need it on the 2nd of june but the tax office is not open on the 1st cos of Bank Holiday,
    So say I went to the guards on the 1st and got the form stamped, Then i drove the car to work on the morning of the 2nd and got someone to go the tax office for me during the day, what would you reckon the guards would do if I was stopped on that morning with the stamped RF100a form but a tax disc that displays 06/07.
    Impounded? Summons? Blind eye:o

You would be fine. If you have it stamped on 1st, you are declaring that you werent using it til that date so you are allowed to use it on the second. They would give you a few days to get the tax as you will still be paying for all of june regardless.

Advertisement