Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retail Unit

Options
  • 27-05-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

What street would be the location for a retail shop, i.e footfall, high profile stores. I'm not too familiar with Limerick but would guess at Cruises Street? Would William street be as good? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

What type of shop? Cruises street, O'Connell st and William st. are nominally the shopping streets in the city. I suppose O'Connell street has all the bigger brands like Brown Thomas, Penny's, Debenhams. Whereas Cruises has the River Island type stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Definately not William Street, in it's current state anyway. Its very run down and attracks a certain element especially around a certain chipper and bus stop.

Bedford Row or lower Thomas Street which have recently been revamped and pedestrianised could be a good location. Both are just off O'Connell street in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

bazz26 wrote: »
    Definately not William Street, in it's current state anyway. Its very run down and attracks a certain element especially around a certain chipper and bus stop.

Bedford Row or lower Thomas Street which have recently been revamped and pedestrianised could be a good location. Both are just off O'Connell street in the city centre.

But William st. is due to be renovated from September on. Remember how poor Bedford row used to be, hopefully they can turn William st. around too. Horrible street at the minute alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

all depends on the type of store i guess.. if its clothes cruises street..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Staying out of the city centre and trying for a unit in the Crescent Shopping centre would be the way to achieve a higher footfall. Cruises Street is the street that came out on top recently as the shopping street in a city centre with the largest % drop in sales in Ireland in the last 12 months.

The three main shopping street in each city in Ireland are the ones that had the figures published. Second worst in Ireland was OConnell Street in Limerick, and third was a street in Waterford.

A good example of how long new clothes shops last would be on Sarsfield street. Five branded companies opened stores there in the last five years, including TopShop, all five are now closed, with all the units there up for let again.

The shame is that Limerick city could make for a very vibrant shopping city, but all that seem to happen is lots of talk about businesses and developments that are meant to be happening, rather than actually seeing things happen. The popping up of retail parks all over the outskirts does not help, but in an ideal scenario, all that extra competition would be good for the consumer. Another problem is the size of a lot of the units in the city centre, they are just too small and lack proper delivery areas, so larger companies who want to open full sized branches have to look elsewhere.

I would also think that those in charge of planning etc need to communicate better rather than just releasing snippets to be put in papers to make it look like business is booming.

I really do hope that someday Limerick city centre can come close to it's potential as a shopping area, and really stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

O Connell street close to bedford row is becoming a prime location. I find myself as well as many other people ending up there when I go shopping the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Are you interested in bringing a new store to Limerick OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

catherine street when its finished will be fairly busy id say...

Advertisement