Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub recommendations please! -Dublin

Options
  • 27-05-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I'm going to have a wee celebration in Dublin (city) in a few weeks time and want to head to a nice pub on a Sat night with a bit of atmosphere. One that's not too jammers (if thats possible on a Sat night!!) and not so loud that you have to lip-read/guess what your mates are saying to you!! Any recommendations??? There'll be around 10 of us, so anywhere we could get seats or book seats would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

tiddlywink wrote: »
    I'm going to have a wee celebration in Dublin (city) in a few weeks time and want to head to a nice pub on a Sat night with a bit of atmosphere. One that's not too jammers (if thats possible on a Sat night!!) and not so loud that you have to lip-read/guess what your mates are saying to you!! Any recommendations??? There'll be around 10 of us, so anywhere we could get seats or book seats would be great.

the bank on dame st/college green is a nice spot not the cheapest,nice spot inside the door on the right beside the fire
    hairy lemon is a good spot too
    bleeding horse
    roddy bolands(could be busy)
    findlater dorset street
    cassidys

all nice in my experience

some may do food if you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tiddlywink

Thanks for that shakin! Will check those places out. Can you reserve a table at any of them, or do ya just turn up and hope for the best?? Someone else mentioned Dakota , Market bar and Howl at the moon as other options.....what do people think of them? (We are all in our late 20's if that makes a difference!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

The Bleeding horse or Doyles is always a good bet.

+1 Doyles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Doyles is decent enough.

Either of the Porterhouses in town also, good pubs, with an excellent selection of drinks.

Messrs Maguire is a good spot too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

shakin wrote: »
    roddy bolands(could be busy)

And noisy....music in Rodys starts blaring at around 9:30 on Saturdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

and full of culchies

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Splash the cash and have a bit of style- Cafe en seine (There I said it!) and The Shelbourne Bars (both, horse shoe and main bar). Dear, Dear, Dear smart, relaxing, sociable, fun and big enough to accommodate 10 at anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You might be lucky and get space in the Dawson Lounge. Its a tiny pub but myself and a mate went in there a few Saturdays ago for a few pints at about 9-ish and got seats, and shortly after a Dutch stag party of 16 still fit in. Great spot for a nice few pints and a bit of a laugh.

Keoghs would probably be jammed so that would be out, unless you're heading out early. Messrs and the Porterhouse are alright but not great. Certainly avoid the likes of Cafe EnSeine like the plague.

I really like the Barge myself too, or Diceys as long as you don't expect much from the staff. In terms of a venue its pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Darkey Kelly's, Fishamble St.

Ballads from 5pm-9pm then a cover band (always excellent bands here) from 10pm - 01:00am.

Big bar, newly refurbished with an excellent choice of food served from the 'Copper Alley Bistro' at bar prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

I like Doyles, but it can get pretty noisy there. I'd probably go with Market Bar, it's lovely and spacious. Although it can get pretty crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

late 20s in doyles? you'll be 10 years older than every single chick on the dancefloor :D

that place has gone embarssingly downhill i think, i went there 2 or 3 times a month for a couple years, and it's less rock and has more trendy types than it seemed to have 4 years ago
    or maybe i'm just burned out on the place

but seriously, it's full of 18 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

AlexBM wrote: »
    I like Doyles, but it can get pretty noisy there. I'd probably go with Market Bar, it's lovely and spacious. Although it can get pretty crowded.

but theres no music or atmosphere! its pretty packed all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

not a fan of doyles I must say. Dakota is decent but not sure it will fit your criteria quite packed. I do like Market Bar I must say though

I would drink here fairly often when at home http://www.thelottscafebar.com/ just off liffey street. Nice play though on Sat night can have 2 guys on guitar so can get a bit loud. Sometimes they have someone on piano though mid week or early sat evening. Might be one to try before moving on elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭AlexBM

Ruby-J wrote: »
    but theres no music or atmosphere! its pretty packed all the time!

I think there's a good atmosphere, actually. And it isn't always packed; it depends on what time you go there at. I quite like not having music blasting in my ears everywhere I go - it means I can have a conversation.

Advertisement