Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

should i make the swap bora for older bmw?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi guys advice needed....
    ive a 02 bora tdi comfortline about 70k on the clock and recently got the belt done on it. I've had it about two years and was thinking of trading it in against this:
    http://cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=1838862#

i always wanted to get a bmw and was thinking that ive no kids as yet so the four door isnt an issue, but was just looking for some advice? I cover around 110miles a day.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Question, how did you find the Bora in comparison to other cars you've driven had in the past? I was thinking of getting one myself soon enough would like to know.
    Personally if it was me I wouldnt go for that particular BMW, I dont like the model styling nor the colour, and I feel you could get something a lot nicer for your 12 grand price bracket.
    Like an Audi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

If you are male I wouldn't bother as you'll look like a girl driving it.

Actually regardless of gender I wouldn't bother. It appears to be low specced and compacts are to be avoided in general anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Its so hard to get enthusiastic about the compact. For the same money, albeit with higher mileage this is a much better proposition.

http://cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=1916096#

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

hi guys advice needed....
    ive a 02 bora tdi comfortline about 70k on the clock and recently got the belt done on it. I've had it about two years and was thinking of trading it in against this:
    http://cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=1838862#

i always wanted to get a bmw and was thinking that ive no kids as yet so the four door isnt an issue, but was just looking for some advice? I cover around 110miles a day.

thanks in advance

The same car is cheaper on carzone:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/320/320-TD/993453/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Its so hard to get enthusiastic about the compact. For the same money, albeit with higher mileage this is a much better proposition.

http://cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=1916096#

Absolutely! 320d is a cracken car all together. Never mind that compact, their abit micky mouse styling wise and yes you will look like a 27 yr old female exec driving it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

that other 320d has over twice the miles on it for the roughly the same price :confused:
    as far as the bora goes,its a grand comfortable drive with a little bit of kick in it.

I SUPOSE YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THE LOOK OF IT GUYS AS I DO AND ALWAYS HAVE PREFERED THE 320D
    (capitals by accident )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Definately stay away from the compact. Get a coupe or even a saloon as others have suggested.

The compact was BMWs first attempt at an ugly car IMO, in recent times anyway. Although it has since been completely outdone in ugliness by the X3 and 1 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On a side note, I'd be very cautious regarding a diesel car of that age with very low mileage. I'd want to see a full service history and ring the garages where it was serviced to verify the mileage too. Cars like this are out and I'm not saying that particular car is clocked but if something seems too good to be true, chances are it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

GB15 wrote: »
    Definately stay away from the compact. Get a coupe or even a saloon as others have suggested.

The compact was BMWs first attempt at an ugly car IMO, in recent times anyway. Although it has since been completely outdone in ugliness by the X3 and 1 series.

I wouldn't worry about dropping a year for a BMW if I were you, well worth it.
    No way would I go for a compact though, it's a miserable looking BMW - go the whole way and get at least a 318ci, if not 323ci instead. You'll find plenty of the same year in that price bracket with maybe only a little higher mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's the second generation compact which is a lot nicer than the e36 compact. If you're not bothered about the looks, it is supposed to be an excellent car to drive - on a par with the coupe. Could be a hard one to sell down the road though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

cianclarke wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about dropping a year for a BMW if I were you, well worth it.
    No way would I go for a compact though, it's a miserable looking BMW - go the whole way and get at least a 318ci, if not 323ci instead. You'll find plenty of the same year in that price bracket with maybe only a little higher mileage.

ive always had a deisel and do enjoy their reliability for the long journeys, but the way desiel prices are going id almost think about switching to a petrol. They are cheaper cars but are they as reliable over the long distances i'll be clocking up... namely over 100miles a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

If you have always wanted a BMW, hold off until maybe a 120d comes down in price, there is going to be such an influx of them they will continue to drop in €, you can already pick them up privately for €19/20 & they are a hoot to drive, this will put a smile on your face & make you appreciate a BMW.
    The one you are contemplating now, your basicaly driving a badge & will be disappointed with the whole 'BMW' experience.
    (Christ sound like a beemer sales rep here:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

alpina wrote: »
    If you have always wanted a BMW, hold off until maybe a 120d comes down in price, there is going to be such an influx of them they will continue to drop in €, you can already pick them up privately for €19/20 & they are a hoot to drive, this will put a smile on your face & make you appreciate a BMW.
    The one you are contemplating now, your basicaly driving a badge & will be disappointed with the whole 'BMW' experience.
    (Christ sound like a beemer sales rep here:o)

I was never a fan of the one series, when I see them I usually think....no I just wouldnt bother with one when I could have a 3 series. I see them as bottom of the range and sold to those who cant really afford one if you know what I mean? Forgive my ignorance when I say that I'm just not a fan of them at all. 320d would be in my list without a doubt.

The e46 compact is regarded as a very good car to drive. If you're not bothered about the strange-ish look, then it could be an excellent experience.

eoin_s wrote: »
    The e46 compact is regarded as a very good car to drive.

Right there Ted...:)

Huh? Is that you being sarcastic?

Not at all....merely acknowledging your opinion of the drive;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,428 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There's a huge difference in the way the E36 compact and the E46 compact handle. Are you lumping both into one heap perchance?

Would admit that BMW put a lot of the E36 shortcomings right with the E46 series, engines, suspension, interiors but that styling wouldnt win any prizes in a Concours DElegance. Rover headlights, Lexus'ish rear lights just does not add up to BMW so don't think the ride is spectacular enough to live with the car, then again just my opinion...;)

I totally agree with you on the looks, but your earlier post said that you were buying "the badge", when in fact you're buying a very good driver's car that looks quite different to most other BMWs. 0-60 in 7 seconds in the 325ti isn't bad going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Better resale and more desirable to go with the saloon. Better looking car too.

Advertisement