Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Freelander

Options
  • 27-05-2008 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Looking for a new car as baby on the way in a couple of weeks, plus a two year old. So the golf we have isn't going to do anymore.

The wife is looking at a 1.8 petrol 2000yr Freelander.

I've been reading thru and the reviews are not very good, although some write that they have had no problems.

Just wondered if any one has some 1st hand experience.

Plus would a 1.8 petrol be enough engin. As in, I like to know there is a little power there when needed.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Frightful amount of head gasket problems, every review I have read on those early freelanders have been bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Head gasket among other probs, if it comes really cheap take a chance 2k tops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Why is't the golf going to do any more. are there twins on the way?. Wait til 2months after baby is born cos i'm sure it won't be doing too much travelling before this stage. Look up crash ratings on NCAP of golf vs freelander and this might help you make her mind up.
    Any way C-max focus etc much bigger on inside.
    Good look with the new human arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Phil - the diesel version has a detuned BMW 320d engine in it, which may be better suited. I was recently speaking to a friend with the petrol one, and sure enough the head gasket went. Will herself not go for an estate or MPV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Cheers guys,

Just as I was thinking. The car looks very clean from photo's but I'm weary about head going as I'm just going thru the same with mine.

The crash rating is very bad. hink I'm going to stear her away from the freelander route.

Oh and the change from the golf to a higher car is for the wifes back, bending down the last time did her no good. Plus boot space, the pram we had to get fills the boot, no room for shopping as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The petrol freelander is also thirsty as fcuk and notoriously unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Apip99 wrote: »
    Afternoon all,

Looking for a new car as baby on the way in a couple of weeks, plus a two year old. So the golf we have isn't going to do anymore.

The wife is looking at a 1.8 petrol 2000yr Freelander.

I've been reading thru and the reviews are not very good, although some write that they have had no problems.

Just wondered if any one has some 1st hand experience.

Plus would a 1.8 petrol be enough engin. As in, I like to know there is a little power there when needed.

Thanks in advance
    Are rubbish, DO NOT BUY ONE. Consider a Lada instead of one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you can get over the popemobile looks, I still think that the likes of Citroen Berlingo Multispace and Renault Kangoo make very practical cars with the two sliding doors and the big boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Christ, peasant, I've been driving a Kangoo for 2 years (thanks to a period of non-employment), don't do that to the nice couple.

It's OK as a school-run bus, but it's not a car.

(When I finally did go back to work, the wife got a new S-Max for the school run, and now I'm stuck commuting in the Kangoo :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

That Freelander is not the car I'd want my new baby in. As Top Gear fans will know, its just an illusion that that particular 4x4 is a good school run car. Its got the worst euro ncap result in its class:
    http://www.euroncap.com/tests/land_rover_freelander_2002/142.aspx

just look at the door and pillar deforming; that simply should not happen.

EDIT: "The cabin became structurally unstable during the frontal impact" .. and so on and on and on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Don't touch a Freelander petrol, if anything get a diesel. The older ie. 1999-ish interiors are fairly old fashioned. I'd drive one first before u make any decisions but those petrols, i wouldn't reccomend unless u can afford a new head every 30k.(As far as i know the engine started out as a 1.4 rover engine, then was bored out to be a 1.6, and then again to the 1.8) They made a fine job of the diesels and they sell so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They made a fine job of the diesels and they sell so much better.

Well, BMW did really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Don't touch a Freelander petrol, if anything get a diesel. The older ie. 1999-ish interiors are fairly old fashioned. I'd drive one first before u make any decisions but those petrols, i wouldn't reccomend unless u can afford a new head every 30k.(As far as i know the engine started out as a 1.4 rover engine, then was bored out to be a 1.6, and then again to the 1.8) They made a fine job of the diesels and they sell so much better.

Ye they used the ropey Rover k series engines. We had Rovers in the past and the head gaskets had all been changed under 50k on the clock, complete disgrace to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Series 1 Freelander was known to be disaster with regards reliability. The 1.8 litre petrol is notoreous for eating head gaskets and the car's electrics are a nightmare.

Not something I would want my other half and child to be potentially stranded in at the side of the road.

I'd be looking at something else to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,428 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If the head gasket on a k-series engine went in '05 or later, it was probably replaced with the new model which should not suffer from the same problems again

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

to be fair, there's more that go wrong on Freelanders than head gaskets. it was 9th from the bottom in the JD Power 2004 survey, Electrical faults, gearbox, clutch, and diff problems are the first things we look out for, after the head gasket of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Friend of mine had a 2001, he sold it for €300 instead of getting a new engine in it for the THIRD, yes third time. Was pretty horrible to drive and very cheap on the inside

• Registered Users Posts: 65,428 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    to be fair, there's more that go wrong on Freelanders than head gaskets

Indeed. I'd be the last person to recommend one. Hence my comment was only about the engine, not the car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

freelanders are crap, unreliable and will cost a fortune to run, especially the petrol version.

if you want a soft-roader, buy a jap, you won't go far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

if you want a softroader, then the santa fe is probably your best option in that price range (other than going back years and getting a honda, rav 4 et all). they look pants though compared to the new ones.

Advertisement