Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skills you bring to the survival table

• 27-05-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

So we all obviously have different skills that we can take to the battle against the undead, each one of us obviously bringing our own skills delevoped either through work of our own hobbies. So what skills can you offer ?

Me -
    I can throw knives with reasonable accuracy
    I have decent stamina, handy for swinging in a melee
    I can drive almost anything from tractor to motorbike
    I have a good geographical knowlege of my area

So friends ? What do you bring to the table ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

1. Did Tae Kwon Do for 7 years
    2. Have a pilots licence
    3. Am a good rifle/shotgun/handgun shot
    4. Can survive in most temperate arboreal or arctic environments for protracted periods
    5. Good with rope work/abseiling etc
    6. General boy scoutery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Roen wrote: »
    Did Tae Kwon Do for 7 years

+1 with a smattering of a few other martial arts
    Once made a fully functioning (for about 20 mins) flamethrower out of household ingredients.
    Am known to feel no pain while intoxicated

Am a good listener. Will lul zombies into a happy place in their mentality before setting them up for an almighty backstabbing involving a rake, a blender, 3 pigs and a waterwheel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Using my skill, I shall grow a veritable moat of stinging nettles around my house.
    Lets see them get through that.

Zombies won't feel the nettle stings!

Plus that's some food you're needlessy throwing away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'm good at DIY, so while you boys are busy kicking the crap out of them, I can construct a sturdy, and safe barrcade/static defences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

- Trained with Rifles, Shotguns and Pistols
    - First Aid training
    - Strong after years of weight training
    - Know how to sail and operate boats (except if its a land cruiser or somthing :pac:)
    - General camping and wildlife skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Myth wrote: »
    Zombies won't feel the nettle stings!

Plus that's some food you're needlessy throwing away.

:D Forgot to mention the rows of pampas grass also included which will cut them to shreds, and hopefully decapitate them if they are the fast moving* zombies.

* May or may not be zombies, still open for arguement

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

• Good with swords and own several.
    • Have been studying the "preternatural" for several years now, not just the zombies
    • Pretty good at the guitar. You never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I'm really talented at kicking blokes in the bollocks.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

- I'm Tall (can be usefull)
    - Know where my dads Gun is (all I would need in a trip to the hardware store for more ammo)
    - should be strong enough to fight zombies with blunt objects easily enough
    - Play lots of zombie related games, mainly the zombie mod in counter strike source, so I can build barricades only using a rifle (lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Electrician- I could setup cables to electricute the feckers while we make a get away/kick the ****e outta them!

Also did kick boxing for 4 years and I'm a pretty decent sprinter and have good stamina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Im fast

Ive seen loads of zombie films

played A LOT of resi

I can fix things

ill kill you before it gets awkward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Grade 4 sailing certficate.
    Good at motivational speaking and experience in people management
    Light sleeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

- Need very little sleep
    - Snore enough to keep others awake (thus protecting us from surprise night attacks when our evil corporate pseudo-ally betrays us leaving a door open during the night)
    - Experienced in constructing predator style forest traps
    - Hurled until I was 18
    - Own live swords, practiced hurling with them :)
    - Extensive Martial Arts Background
    - Accurate with a forklift
    - Experienced doorman (bound to he helpful restraining infected friends so someone else can shoot them)

Unfortunately my day job as a Software engineer would no doubt the first profession infested into obsolescence!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

-sawn off shotgun
    -chainsaw for arm
    -dreamy good looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

erm... im very mechanically minded so yeah i fix most anything aswell as manufacture weapons :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I know basic first aid and I should begin to know more the longer Z day takes as I progress through medical training.
    I've a good mind for engineering so I'll be able to fix/make useful things (takes me a while to get started though).
    Also, I'm terrified of dying and I can't live by myself so I'll do almost anything to ensure my own survival and the survival of anyone to keep me company.

And I've got wicked cool hair.

Main drawbacks: I think I'm funny and I'm easily distracted. And I'm a complete coward. Also, I've never even been close to a firearm and I'm pretty sure that watching a gun being used on tv doesn't confer a working knowledge of them so if you arm me things will either get very interesting or very dull quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

- Don't need much sleep.
    - I'm tall and have a long reach so I'm pretty damn good with melee weapons.
    - Was in the R.D.F. so I'm trained on the use and maintaining the Steyr assualt rifle and the Bren machine gun (perfect for taking down hordes of them in a cool Rambo fashion) Assuming we eventually make our way to an army barracks.
    - High knowledge on zombies, I know how they work and I'll ensure everything from food to barricading is done hours before full outbreak.
    - I have a laptop with an external hard drive with 500GB of movies and TV so I can provide the entertainment as well as helping others study how zombies work by watching zombie movies.
    - I can do impersonations so if needs be I'll act like a zombie to get us out of a sticky situation, or provide light entertainment for the survivors.
    - Can make a great cup of coffee, perfect balance of water + milk (presuming we wind up on a farm with cows)
    - Always optimistic even in the most darkest of situations, might help those who'll have the occasional freak-outs!

I'm a hardware technician that fixes PCs, laptops, printers, etc, so when Z-Day comes my profession will be useless. I don't do any of that wacky Hollywood-hacker-can-make-a-walkie-talkie-out-of-a-banana-and-two-wires shìte!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I'm slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm slow.

Ah, you can be in my group. You'd be perfect for bait...........eh....erm, I mean you can be perfect for bait....ting? Bathing..........eh, oiur bathing beauty, yes that's it!

Heh, covered that up pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Ah, you can be in my group. You'd be perfect for bait...........eh....erm, I mean you can be perfect for bait....ting? Bathing..........eh, oiur bathing beauty, yes that's it!

Heh, covered that up pretty well.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY I'M INCLUDED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

(1)I'm in the RDF so i've got a bit of Military Training such as being able to fire and disemble rifles, being able to take command in stressful times like let's say if the leader were killed or if someone needed to be killed because he's turning into one

(2)I'm good at contructing things so i could contruct new weapons to use like my recent invention the Swiss Army Fork

(3)Well rounde dso i can adapt and be useful for anything really.

(4)A quick Learner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

SDooM wrote: »
    • Good with swords and own several.
    • Have been studying the "preternatural" for several years now, not just the zombies
    • Pretty good at the guitar. You never know
    ^ what he said.

also-
    • into the whole surviving the great outdoors.
    • dont sleep much
    • more suited to nighttime
    • (im not of much use in extreme sunnyness :()
    • random imagination for plans
    • may have magical powers
    • good with animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭reregholdsworth

braaiiiinsss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭reregholdsworth

what about a forum for the zombies in here.

braaaiiiiins

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/29/hundreds-of-zombies-.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Id run to the bank with food and water and hide in the safe :D

Nerin wrote: »
    ^ what he said.

also-
    • into the whole surviving the great outdoors.
    • dont sleep much
    • more suited to nighttime
    • (im not of much use in extreme sunnyness :()
    • random imagination for plans
    • may have magical powers
    • good with animals

...he's a vampire! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

No Moral aversion to cannibalism.

Zulu wrote: »
    ...he's a vampire! :eek:

emoticon_ShiftyEyes.gif
    what a ridiculous claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

selfless

happlily sacrifice myself in order to allow everyone else to escape.

although according to all the documentaries by George A. Romero

Nerin wrote: »
    emoticon_ShiftyEyes.gif
    what a ridiculous claim.
    Stay away from me Nerin; just stay the hell away from me!

On that: the zombie virus is spread through bodily fluid, right, so what would happen if a vampire bit one/was bitten? Flying zombies??

@ Nerin: I'm on to you.

Stay away from me Nerin; just stay the hell away from me!

On that: the zombie virus is spread through bodily fluid, right, so what would happen if a vampire bit one/was bitten? Flying zombies??

@ Nerin: I'm on to you.
    a vampires immune system means no diseases,no matter what type of vampire it is.also, vampires wouldnt bite a zombie, they need live blood/blood that was taken when alive then refrigerated. youre thinking of ghouls. they'd attack zombies, as they enjoy rotting flesh

and dont start,im sick of being accused of being a zombie or a vampire.
    whats next, werewolf???
    growls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

I'm good at hunting wolverines, and I'm pretty sweet with a bo staff

''everyone needs good skills. Girls only like guys with sweet skills.''
    -N.Dynamite

You know a lot about vampires...

...maybe too much!

You know a lot about vampires...

...maybe too much!
    i know alot about alot of things *shifty eyes*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I own a nice varied collection of firearms. No point being trained with firearms if you cant access them at the time of zombie invasion.
    I like Hunting so would be able to provide a decent source of meat if the invasion was prolonged.
    Reasonably fit n strong so would out last the chubby slow zombie food.
    Not afraid of gore, gutting an animal larger than a human will do that for you.
    Some fighting skills, few years of different things.
    Full clean driving license :pac:
    My family includes 4 brothers of simialr age to myself, we'd form an effective squad (no sisters thank feck, they'd slow us down)
    Love Ray Mears so would hope I could live off tree sap if needed. Thanks Ray.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Love Ray Mears so would hope I could live off tree sap if needed. Thanks Ray.
    thats enough for me, youre hired :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Own and operate several rifles- I like ranged fire :D
    Martial Arts training in a few styles, mainly TaeKwonDo
    Extensive bladed weapons and tools collection
    Bushcrafter (not That Bush, the PC version on late 80's Survivalism)
    Ray Mears + Les Stroud, no "Bear" Grylls, just no.
    Able to gralloch and butcher most animals, are Zombies edible? Would cooking kill the virus, like Trichynosis in Swine?
    First Aid trained, competed in UK two weeks ago in a first aid comp.
    I can build stuff, like my gym I finished up lately :) See the chainsaw in my gym? Sweet!

I have my eye open for a local outbreak, first sign it's going down I'm securing the local castle for me and mine!

The castle was a barracks and the garda station years ago, we got dorms and cells available. Right on the quayside in case we need to break for an island on the boats moored there. Local supermarket is close, and a pub even closer! It's still being renovated, but it's all the towers and stuff, the perimeter can be secured.

Shed007.jpg

Shed011.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4861.jpg

IMG_4859.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

th_Video035.jpg

Image058.jpg

696a0150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

damn Musashi thats pretty sweet.
    My granny lives in a castle but its in ruins, no no castle camping for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

That doesn't include my axes or the .220Swift Remington rifle! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Trained Bodygaurd,so have the following skills.
    Eavasive /defensive driving for sodding off quickly from Zombie hordes.
    Firearms skills in rifle,shotgun ,pistol ,SMG. LMG.
    Basic paramedical skills.Handy for stabs,gun shots,bites.Plus a few other skills in that line.
    No paticular martial arts form,just absorbed what was useful to me from many different arts.So suppose street fighter.

Plus own a goodly few firearms as well.Not to mention good selection of knives.Semi qualified armourer,can build improvised weapons/firearms
    I e d recognition,[which means you have to be able to build them to recognise them,or vise versa.]
    Man trapping device building skills.
    Some radio tech experiance.
    Have hunted 30 plus years as well as fished as long.
    Semi qualified light aircraft pilot,can skipper boats up to 60ft.Scuba diver.
    Can work/fix most pre 1995 or thereabouts 4wheel drive vechicles.
    Have driven.modded,and rebuilt most of the oldies out there EG landrover,etc.IMO the older jeeps are the better zombie survival wagons.

Welder,mechanic ,farmboy fixing skills{Use what you have and build it from that].Bushcraft and survivalist skills.Was doing this long before Ray Mears &Co made it fashionable. Totally and utterly nuts[according to some].Own three chainsaws.V large,large and handy for cutting up wood as well.
    Own a large estate that could be easily made into a defensive redoubt against the Zs.

Oh,and I do know Veg in the really real world.:D So his description is true of his skills.

Any use?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Pump action shotgun owner here, i'm a good shot too between hunting and playing airsoft lol :D Also i make a damn good stir fry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Its scary how many people that frequent the zombie survival forum are all in the RFA lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

I'm a very fast and accurate fencer using foil and saber, so I guess I could stab them up a good bit, I'm also good with long ranged weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i am an engineer so i can pretty much build anything or destroy it as the case may warrant.

have shot a few guns. pretty good shot.

i grow my own vegetables and am a virgo, and enjoy long walks on the beach........ oh wrong forum.

Its scary how many people that frequent the zombie survival forum are all in the RFA lol...

Why is that scary? They'll be needed as the grunts when z day comes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Hmmm... I can play guitar. Guitar would be essential in keeping the moral high in the survivors

i can play a pretty mean guitar hero thats way more fun.

Martron wrote: »
    i can play a pretty mean guitar hero thats way more fun.

ZERE VILL BE NO FUN IN DE ZOMBOCALYPSE!

Guitars can be good weapons as it happens.

eh i think you have it all wrong!!! it will b all fun. shooting boozin.... drivin ridiculously fast cars until the fuel dries up!!!

yeah guitars with their string can have a slicing action

• Advertisement
Advertisement