Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Anxiety help

• 27-05-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Anyone who suffers from Social Anxiety / Social Phobia should visit the following site. The CD's are a must.

http://www.socialanxietyinstitute.org/audioseries.html

Have a look at the site in general - very helpful.

There is a local support group being setup in Dublin for people who need help.

email: overcomesa@gmail.com

All the best,

Cormac

Comments

As someone who suffers from that, you'd have to be very desperate to buy those.

Im not trying to attack anyone here or make anyone feel bad if they did buy them, but relying on audio CDs isn't likely to help you over come any problem you may have thats so bad you are actually spending money on possible treatments. Especially not when the treatment you seek is mass marketed/produced and specifically made for each person.

If 100 people suffer from it, theres a huge potential to be much more than one reason why each person feels this way. No audio CD will give you the Super Human ability to head on out to the busiest area surrounding you and start knocking up conversations with every second person coming your way or have you feel totally secure in that area.

Do i feel audio CD's may help? Probably.

Do i feel anyone suffering from this should buy them in order to get over it? No.

Sorry to run you down man, but thats just my opinion on it. But I'm very pessimistic, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Those CD's aren't marketed as any kind of 'cure' or anything; they provide a lot of helpful advice, and explain a wide array of techniques for dealing with many different issues that a person with SA will often come across.

If you haven't actually tried them yourself, then it's not exactly fair to discourage people by saying they would "have to be very desperate to buy those". If a persons anxiety is having a large negative effect upon their lives, to the extent that they may not even be able to feel comfortable going to a psychologist, then those CD's are potentially very helpful.

The price, however, is very high; though they can be 'found' on the internet with a bit of searching, for people who can't afford them or who would like to preview before buying.

EDIT: Also, here is a very good book I recommend:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Social-Anxiety-Behavioural-Techniques/dp/1854877038/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212400245&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dreadlock

Hi,

As with all discussion boards, all opinions and comments are welcome.

All I can say is that, personally, not long ago I was in a bad place going no where. As a result of the CD's, I now have direction and am so much better and happier.

A couple of years ago, I would have never imagined myself setting up and running a support group - now I am.

With regards to the finance for the CD's - look on it this way. How much financial potential is lost as a result of staying in a rut and not doing anything about Social Anxiety (except dwelling on it). An investment like this in one's self is really a drop in the ocean. Also, please note, I am not getting any commission for the sale of any of the CD. Simply put - they assisted me enormously and laid the fundamental foundation for getting better.

I understand pessimism as I was there myself but Social Anxiety is a form of bad habit that we have delevoloped by staying negative and focusing on the bad.

The CD's / support group now brings out the the better and beautiful in us all that we can learn to focus more on.

Best Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They are pretty expensive.
    Sure you build all the tape programs from Tony Robbins for around €20 on ebay. I own them but I've gotten past Tape 5 despite restarting multiple times. Damn my procrastination :(
    I don't condone piracy btw

Dunno, might be worth looking at if you are looking for similar information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Ok, don't really think this needs a thread of its own. I have put dreadlock's site into the helpful links thread if anyone wants to check it out.

Locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement