Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil on the road

Options
  • 27-05-2008 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Did anyone have issues this morning around Rathgar/Rathmines? Not sure what the cause was but there was oil pretty much the whole way into town and also back beyond Templeogue. I had a nasty fall and a saw a couple of other people going over and plenty pushing their bikes. Hopefully nothing more serious happened.

My back wheel still felt like it was slipping out as I slowly cycled home even though I couldn't feel any oil on it when I started out (this morning after my spill it was shiny with oil). Does anyone think I need a change of tyre or will a good clean sort it out? I wouldn't have thought the oil would penetrate but I am worried about it slipping again. I've had my doubts about the road holding of Specialized Armadillos for a while so maybe it is time for a change anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I saw some at the bottom of Rathgar Road and assumed someone had been sloppy at the petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Well if you've had doubts about the road-holding abilities before, it is possible that the amount of water on the road today may have caused the slipping, not the oil. Water is deceptively slippy, especially on slick-ish tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

The oil was definitely a factor. There was loads on my tyres and a guy slipped off at the same time 10 meters behind me. The AA was apparently reporting a fuel spill so that combined with the rain was probably it.

The armadillos have been retired for now and replaced with some gatorskins from the fixie that is getting an overhaul.

Let's hope tomorrow is a better day. I was so close to getting run over today I don't want to even think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

The oil was definitely a factor. There was loads on my tyres and a guy slipped off at the same time 10 meters behind me. The AA was apparently reporting a fuel spill so that combined with the rain was probably it.

The armadillos have been retired for now and replaced with some gatorskins from the fixie that is getting an overhaul.

Let's hope tomorrow is a better day. I was so close to getting run over today I don't want to even think about it.

Which do you find better the gatorskins or armadillos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

I've never had a puncture with the armadillos but I have found them to be more slippy than I would like in the wet even before today. Sometimes I would feel the back going out a bit. Today I completely lost control doing a simple overtake but then I'm blaming the oil for that. I did have a slip on them before but that was on wet bricks at East Point business park and they really are a deathtrap.

So far I've only ridden the gatorskins on a fixie where you can feel the grip of the rear wheel more than when you have a freewheel but overall I would say that they are noticeably more grippy than the armadillos. I've had two punctures with the gatorskins over about 8 months of riding them to work (so around 2000 miles).

• Advertisement
Advertisement