Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetics - why you should see your consultant

Options
  • 27-05-2008 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Today I had my regular check up but with added eye (watering) investigation, my consultant spotted a minor blood vessel is slightly damaged in my left eye, nothing terminal but a sign that I need to get back on the straight and narrow regarding my HbA1c level which currently stands at just over 7.

So the message is you may think everything is fine and dandy as nothing has dropped off recently but thats the thing about diabetic damage - its insidious. See your consultant even if you don't want to.

Mike.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had that scare too back in 2006 even though my HBA1c was below 6.5...other stuff got in the way for a while but luckily my eyes were OK! I was freaking when I heard though. Good luck and I hope that it all works out for you.

I agree that you should see your consultant regularly, if nothing else for the kidney and eye tests. As some of you guys know I had some kidney damage as a result of long term diabetes and chemo damage and while they are fine now it is still a worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I have to get one done as I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago (missed my birthday too GRRRRR!) and then they said that it would be taken from there in terms of diet etc.

Is just blood from the veins right ? not arterial blood ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Veins yep, only in the eyes! You wont bleed to death! :)

Blood circulation is another issue as regards extremities of hands and feet.

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think I somehow got missed from getting called in for my annual checkup this year and I've been too lazy to get back onto them to book in for another one. At the moment I'm trying to make sure that I do actually keep some good records of my numbers for a while before going back to see them with what is usually just a mostly blank page of readings to show them with the odd random number on it.

I'm not going to have time to fit a trip to the hospital in until at least the middle of next month now though. I just have to try and be a bit good until then if I can and see if I can improve on the pretty bad HbA1c that I seem to remember getting last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

robinph wrote: »
    I think I somehow got missed from getting called in for my annual checkup this year and I've been too lazy to get back onto them to book in for another one.

You wouldn't happen to be a patient in Beaumont?? Same thing here - no letter from the hospital with an appointment when I rang them was told that I missed it. Got an appointment for six months later plus the threat that if I missed another appointment I would be discharged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No, I've been going to Blanchardstown.

I've a feeling that some wires might have got crossed during a phone call I made to them last year though when I tore a ligament in my knee skiing. The Italian medics gave me some additional injections to take to prevent clotting in my leg whilst it was immobilised for a month, so I had called Blanchardstown up about that and think I may have also mentioned that I was then in the UK at the time. So I have a feeling that they thought I was saying that I'd left the country permanently at that point and may have taken me off their list. It's mostly my fault though for being too lazy to have called them back about it though, and also a little bit "scared" of them then telling me that I'm not being a good diabetic.

I know I'm not a good diabetic though.

Advertisement