Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taking a Year Out, Driving The World, Well To Oz

Options
  • 27-05-2008 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Exactly how feasable would it be to drive from Dublin to Austraila?

Just looking at the map there, it looks like i'd have to go Dublin - England - France - Switzeralnd - Italy - Croatia - Boznia - Serbia - Istanbul - Turkey - Iran - Pakasan - India - Bangladesh - Thailand - Malasia - Then get the boat to Darwin, Auz?

In terms of money i'd say about 30K?

Whats the story going through Iran??

Any thoughts or ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If I dig through my browser history, some Irish lads did it - in an Irish originated car and all. Got it back too I believe!

I'd get a left-hooker myself if I was doing it, even though Australia and some of the other countries are drive-on-left - you're still going through more that aren't.

Gimme a few minutes and I'll try to find that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Iran - Pakasan

Challanging. Fupp I just read that it them cost 30 grand!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Some of the people that do the Mongol Rally go through Iran and they seem to have no problems.

Be noted though, that countries like Burma and Vietnam don't let in RHD cars, and I think Australia don't let in LHD cars, although I could be wrong about that.

That website posted by MYOB will give you full details on the journey and what to bring/expect/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

that would be awesome

FYI some countries may not let you through if you dont have the correct tyres on the car

EG Germany (snow tyres in winter)

do loads of research!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Having a read of that website, it seems there is no ferry in place to australia, and you'll have to ship the car...

Also, dont forget Burma on your route, you have to pass through it between bangladesh and thailand.. and you've probably seen the trouble of getting into burma on the news recently.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

A more recent one: http://www.crazyjourney.com/

Sydney to Dublin in a hummer

Advertisement