Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Few Questions

• 27-05-2008 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I know the boards policy on asking legal advice, so I'll avoid that. I just want some questions answered about petty theft.

One of my mates got charged with petty theft from the place he works in and was taken to his local garda station where he confessed to the crime. It was light theft, so he tells me, and co-operated with the guards in the station. He confessed to the charges they laid out in front of him and was co-operative to the officials. He stayed at the station for a few hours, got an adult caution and a pretty severe talking from the superintendent. He was pretty flustered after all this and hoped it was the last of it.
    Last week he got a letter from the shop's solicitors and they're starting legal proceedings against and charging him upto 20k+ euros! I know he didnt take so much as he's a student and there's no sign of the opulence that follows getting so much cash.
    He thinks it's a ridiculous amount and there's no way for him to pay this and he's contemplating getting a solicitor. Him and me are thinking how much an average solicitor charges as he's a student. If he goes to court even though he confessed to the guards and they gave him an adult caution, will he be convicted? He's fully willing to comply with the authorities as he knows he made a big mistake by stealing a few quid from his job and learned his lesson, but the amount cited in the letter is utterly ridiculous. He's going to New York this summer. Will that screw over his visa stuff?

Any help from the forum regs would be highly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

He wouldn't get a criminal conviction, this sounds like a civil case against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 batmandoing

How do you mean civil case? Legal side of thigs are completely foreign to me :/

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimouse

There are two types of legal cases, criminal and civil cases. Criminal cases relate to criminal law and are brought by the State or by the Gardai on behalf of the state. Since your friend was release by the Gardai and has received a summons from the shop then it is not a criminal matter i.e. he can't be convicted of a criminal offence.

The shop has, however taken a civil action against him. Civil actions are the type that individuals take against each other.

Tell your friend to find a solicitor and quickly. [SNIPPED]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 batmandoing

Cheers for the reply animouse. He's looking into a solicitor. How much does an average solicitor cost as a matter of interest? Just an estimate, not asking for any recommendations or anything. Do they charge by the hour, what's the way they work? Are the judgements made public? Mate goes to a respectable college, so will this get out and cause expulsion or anything?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Go talk to a solicitor. Generally bill by hour - Judgments are in public but depends whether reported or not. Unlikely.

I'm locking this thread now.

Tom

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement