Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Girlfriend just in an accident

Options
  • 27-05-2008 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Girlfriend has just been in an accident,someone went into the back of her.She is ok.No cctv or witnesses to it.

There was no damage to the car but she felt a fairly hard whack.He gave her his details,she didn't call the gaurds cos she was on the way to work.

She has just phoned me there,half an hour after the crash and said she feels a bit of whiplash.

First of all,do I contact the insurance company now and report for her?Should I report it to my local garda station?

And the matter of her neck,I don't want her having to pay for physio in six months so who do I mention this to?

haven't had this experience before.Advice would be appreciated.

Cian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I would suggest (particularly if there's the whiff of an injury) telling the guards and getting her checked out by a doc as well as considering informing her insurance company. Take pictures of the car's damage (though I know you said there is none, double check under the bumper etc) and get your gf to write notes of the particulars of the accident (where, when, weather conditions, what was happening, etc) down. Also, it might be easier if she were to make the phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Prenderb wrote: »
    I would suggest (particularly if there's the whiff of an injury) telling the guards and getting her checked out by a doc as well as considering informing her insurance company. Take pictures of the car's damage (though I know you said there is none, double check under the bumper etc) and get your gf to write notes of the particulars of the accident (where, when, weather conditions, what was happening, etc) down. Also, it might be easier if she were to make the phone calls.

Thanks for the quick reply prenderb.I was thinkin it would be easier if she does the calling alright.But I'm just anxious that its not too late to report these things, shes in work now until the morning and its also my car and my insurance policy,she's on my policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Insurance WON'T talk to you as your not the holder of the policy it needs to be her.

Yes call the Gardai as insurance will ask have they been informed nest calling into them to report it rather than over the phone.

For in future you should really call at the scene. I know she was in a rush but most employers will understand.

Insurance WON'T talk to you as your not the holder of the policy it needs to be her. QUOTE]

No,it is my policy.She is a named driver on it.Will they only talk to me then?

Yes. You will need to talk to them first and then hand the phone to her to let her report the details of the incident.

Now i may be wrong so i stand to be corrected on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you want someone else to pay for the physio now then you will probably have to claim against your own insurance policy and then your insurance company will claim it off the third party. IMO you are better off paying for it yourself and then claim against the third party and not affect your NCT however brief it may be.

Call your insirance company asap and get the car checked - looking ok is not the same as being ok!
    Go to your local garda station and leave your other half's side of the story with them.

As for named drivers discussing details with the insurance company, I was involved in an incident in Feb* whilst driving Mrs. KB's car. I was a named driver and still managed to get the claim processed without her having to do anything.

Lastly, I was involved in another incident* in April. Neck and Back still sore and getting fierce headaches. Hopefully your other half feels better soon.

* neither incident were my fault - in case people start suggesting! :D

kbannon wrote: »
    If you want someone else to pay for the physio now then you will probably have to claim against your own insurance policy and then your insurance company will claim it off the third party. IMO you are better off paying for it yourself and then claim against the third party and not affect your NCT however brief it may be.

Call your insirance company asap and get the car checked - looking ok is not the same as being ok!
    Go to your local garda station and leave your other half's side of the story with them.

As for named drivers discussing details with the insurance company, I was involved in an incident in Feb* whilst driving Mrs. KB's car. I was a named driver and still managed to get the claim processed without her having to do anything.

Lastly, I was involved in another incident* in April. Neck and Back still sore and getting fierce headaches. Hopefully your other half feels better soon.

* neither incident were my fault - in case people start suggesting! :D

Thanks for that info !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sorry to hear that - hope your GFs OK.

Get her to a doc - she may need x-rays to make sure there isn't unseen damage.

As said, inform the guards and your insurance co.

Thanks for this advice lads,appreciate it.

Rang garda station and told him the situation and said I just wanted to report it incase the insurance company want to know about it. He said its a civil case because guards weren't involved and offending driver is claiming liability.I don't think he understodd that all I wanted to do is report it to show it was on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd have a doctor examin her neck/back for injury too if she is experiencing pain. Your health is your wealth. A car can be fixed or replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thanks for this advice lads,appreciate it.

Rang garda station and told him the situation and said I just wanted to report it incase the insurance company want to know about it. He said its a civil case because guards weren't involved and offending driver is claiming liability.I don't think he understodd that all I wanted to do is report it to show it was on paper.
    Call into the Garda station and get the garda to note the details. Get the Garda's name also.
    She may be asked for evidence of tax/insurance cert/NCT cert so she may as well bring them with her.
    The fact that the other driver is admitting liability is not totally credible as this presumably was done at the scene and against the advice of all insurance companys.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kbannon wrote: »
    Call into the Garda station and get the garda to note the details. Get the Garda's name also.
    She may be asked for evidence of tax/insurance cert/NCT cert so she may as well bring them with her.
    The fact that the other driver is admitting liability is not totally credible as this presumably was done at the scene and against the advice of all insurance companys.

Very true, people can say many things when suffering from shock, guilt, etc. Their stories can change considerable once they have thought about it overnight.

Advertisement