Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nearest housing estates to genzyme

• 27-05-2008 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what are the nearest housing estates to genzyme in waterford, im starting work there soon and I havent got a car at the moment so Im hoping to get a place within walking distance as close as I can , please only list the nice areas :)

also any gyms near those areas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Places like hazelbourne, norwood, hillview, cleaboy avenue, skibbereen lawn/road, Comeragh Green and TirConnell Close/Ave are all within a 10 min walk, if not less...

I think there's a gym in the tycor centre, which would be a 10 min walk in the other direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

what about lismore park ,that seems really close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

lismore park is lovely, and the plus side is that if you were looking to rent there now, you wont have a problem as any students who were renting there (its close to w.i.t. also) will more than likely be gone home for summer. good luck in the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It is, this is going to be controversial, but nice and Lismore/Clayboy areas often don't go hand in hand. Households with lots of kids, lots of rentals, students etc. If you are looking for peace and quiet within walking then you may have a challange ahead of you. There may be pockets of goodness.

Just a thought you are looking to buy a house but don't have a car? I'd buy a cheap car first.

Mike.

mike im just looking to rent a single room in house for now maybe for 3 to 6 months but it must be walking distance to genzyme but I should have a car within 3 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

mike you obviously dont know the area too well. areas like wodlawn grove, templars hall etc did suffer with students for a while, but that seems to have changed recently with the amount of purpose built student accomodation thats sprung up. there is always going to be some students in an area near a college but thats life.
    and as for a neighbourhood with lots of kids?? usually means quieter nights in my experience. but if you want to stick to preconcieved notions mike, thats your own business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah fair enough, I guess if you are looking for a short-term solution your options are broader.

Mike.

I was wondering what are the nearest residetial areas to kingfisher gym in waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I was wondering what are the nearest residetial areas to kingfisher gym in waterford?
    Ursuline Court/Cork Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tubey

Are you male or female OP?

• Advertisement

male

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Cherrymount, Avondale, St Herblain, Johns Park, Pearse Park, Prospect Mews, Greenfields (I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

tubey wrote: »
    Are you male or female OP?
    What's that got to do with where the nearest housing estate is?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

Woodgate wrote: »
    What's that got to do with where the nearest housing estate is?

yeah i would like to know aswell :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

longshanks wrote: »
    mike you obviously dont know the area too well. areas like wodlawn grove, templars hall etc did suffer with students for a while, but that seems to have changed recently with the amount of purpose built student accomodation thats sprung up. there is always going to be some students in an area near a college but thats life.
    and as for a neighbourhood with lots of kids?? usually means quieter nights in my experience. but if you want to stick to preconcieved notions mike, thats your own business

Templers Hall remains a big problem according to residents. Lismore Park seems to be also. Now, iv seen the lady recording all the students and I think it seems to be a bit over the top. I see a lot of cabs and students and a few hous partys but it doesnt seem as bad as being made out.. Plus, the guards are always about.

Im not familar with other areas but what student specific accommodation has sprung up?

how long would it take for someone to walk from the kingfisher gym to genzyme basically I would workout there at 6am and be finished my workout at 6.50am I start work at 8am in genzyme, this is only till I get a car which should not be long

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It takes me about 10mins to get from SuperQuinn to WIT on foot so to get to Genzyme would be another 10sh? At a guess...

Okay iv merged the two topics in as its pointles having the same question (pretty much) in two different topics :)

Your working in Genzyme and will be looking for a gym thats close to the area. Kingsfisher is the only one I can think of, maybe Waterford Crystal which is nearer.. I assume WITs gym is for students only. Estates near there are mainly student estates some of which have a poor reputation for trouble (usual student stuff id imagine).

Topic Merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Blackberry Fields behind genzyme on the carrickphierish road.. Im not sure if there is normal apartament buidlings there most are council houses.. but I think there is! Its nice an quiet and close to genzyme!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Okay iv merged the two topics in as its pointles having the same question (pretty much) in two different topics :)

Your working in Genzyme and will be looking for a gym thats close to the area. Kingsfisher is the only one I can think of, maybe Waterford Crystal which is nearer.. I assume WITs gym is for students only. Estates near there are mainly student estates some of which have a poor reputation for trouble (usual student stuff id imagine).

Topic Merged
    It's all over the place now. Two different questions totally.

Kingfisher is the other side of town to Genzyme.

It's all over the place now. Two different questions totally.

Kingfisher is the other side of town to Genzyme.

There still pretty close to each other.. Its not the complete opposite end of town. There a short distance apart so I felt that the one thread dealing with locations near both is easier rather then having two for each question. What the OP is looking for is a solution to where he should live if he works in Genzyme and goes to the gym in Kingsfisher :)

There still pretty close to each other.. Its not the complete opposite end of town. There a short distance apart so I felt that the one thread dealing with locations near both is easier rather then having two for each question. What the OP is looking for is a solution to where he should live if he works in Genzyme and goes to the gym in Kingsfisher :)
    The post I replied to looked for the closest housing estate to the Kingfisher club, which for arguments sake would be Cherrymount/Ursline Court. They are not close/near to Genzyme, which is the other post.

The post I replied to looked for the closest housing estate to the Kingfisher club, which for arguments sake would be Cherrymount/Ursline Court. They are not close/near to Genzyme, which is the other post.

Fair point, but perhaps just editing to state that? I just thought it might be a bit better if it was more centralised considering the question being posed :)

to clear things up basically Im undecided whether to join the kingfisher gym or waterford weightlifting gym

pros Kingfisher
    1.I can go before work as its open at 6
    2.nicer women :D

Cons kingfisher
    1.its further from genzyme
    2.weights arent as good

pros of waterford weightlifting club
    1.much better for lifting weights
    2.nea genzyme hence near genzyme hence near a place I can rent

cons
    1.not open before 8 so cant go before work so it may be very busy in the evening

Then thing is once I get a car all this wont matter but getting to the gym before work is a big perk for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mike65 wrote: »
    It is, this is going to be controversial, but nice and Lismore/Clayboy areas often don't go hand in hand. Households with lots of kids, lots of rentals, students etc. If you are looking for peace and quiet within walking then you may have a challange ahead of you. There may be pockets of goodness.

Just a thought you are looking to buy a house but don't have a car? I'd buy a cheap car first.

Mike.

Mike, that quite a sweeping, and at times, arrogant, generalisation. The same could be said of any area in the City really.

Dunmore Road - invaded by nurses, doctors, et al.

Ursuline Court/Cherrymount/Avondale; Large influx of students due to proximity to Manor Street campus. Have a walk through Ursuline Court or Cherrymount - you'll see what I mean.

To the OP:

Walking distances from the LOVELY:D Cleaboy/Lismore areas to Genzyme:

Hillview: 15 - 20 minutes

Ashley Court: 10 - 15 minutes

Hazelbourne: 10 Minutes

Comeragh Green/Heights: 10 minutes

Lismore Park. Walking times will vary - max 15 minutes.

Hope that helps. And ignore Mike. It's a grand location.;)

how long would it take for someone to walk from the kingfisher gym to genzyme basically I would workout there at 6am and be finished my workout at 6.50am I start work at 8am in genzyme, this is only till I get a car which should not be long

It is at least a 20 - 25 minute walk to Genzyme from Kingfisher. And not at a leisurely p[ace.

Lets be fair.. some places in the city are rougher then others, some place in the city are more student based then proper residential locations (family's and stuff). Each estate is different. What mike said was fairly bang on - Lismore park is an estate with a bucket load of students that has caused trouble in the past. Do Domino's still refuse to deliver there?

I haven't heard much about trouble in Lismore Park anymore so it may have improved but at one stage there were protests, complaints to the college by residents about noise pollution etc. The problem now seems to be focusing on Templers Hall where problems have been reported at the back and now at the front. The college sent out a warning letter to all students and meetings are regular between the college and the residents association who are not happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Ursuline Court/Cherrymount/Avondale; Large influx of students due to proximity to Manor Street campus. Have a walk through Ursuline Court or Cherrymount - you'll see what I mean.

Very little student population in Cherrymount.

• Advertisement

Lets be fair.. some places in the city are rougher then others, some place in the city are more student based then proper residential locations (family's and stuff). Each estate is different. What mike said was fairly bang on - Lismore park is an estate with a bucket load of students that has caused trouble in the past. Do Domino's still refuse to deliver there?

I haven't heard much about trouble in Lismore Park anymore so it may have improved but at one stage there were protests, complaints to the college by residents about noise pollution etc. The problem now seems to be focusing on Templers Hall where problems have been reported at the back and now at the front. The college sent out a warning letter to all students and meetings are regular between the college and the residents association who are not happy.

Sully, do you actually READ the entire post?:rolleyes: What Mike said was Lismore/Clayboy areas (the correct spelling is Cleaboy), which encompasses the bones of 2.000 homes. It is a generalisation of the worst kind - something you constantly berate at every available opportunity.

Ken - there is a very LARGE student population in Ursuline Court/Crescent, and Ashley Court/Crescent in Cherrymount.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement