Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weighing yourself

• 27-05-2008 8:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just looking for some idea of how you're supposed to weigh yourself. For example, I weighed myself Sat morning and Monday morning (before breakfast). I had put on 2 pounds...

As someone who weight trains regularly, I know that my actual weight is going to be higher than average but I still want the figure to be moving in the right direction.

Any ideas?

T

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Weigh yourself at the same time every day, same routine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Isn't that a bit obsessive..? I don't want to get obsessed with it & I know I will if I'm doing it every day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Then same time every few days, always before breakfast or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I weigh myself every morning when I get up, becomes a habit.

taconnol wrote: »
    Isn't that a bit obsessive..? I don't want to get obsessed with it & I know I will if I'm doing it every day.

They have studies that found people actually lose more weight that way.
    If your training maybe it is a better idea to measure and note bf%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Tbh i wouldn't weigh myself more than once a week. I find there can be a lot of variation between days for some reason (hydration, how much I ate the day before, randomness! :o)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning, after you've peed and, if possible, poo'ed! Don't wear clothes. Only do it once a week. Weighing yourself every day is very inaccurate and you'll drive yourself crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Faith wrote: »
    Weigh yourself first thing in the morning, after you've peed and, if possible, poo'ed! Don't wear clothes. Only do it once a week. Weighing yourself every day is very inaccurate and you'll drive yourself crazy.

This is exactly what I do (when it's not the run up to a fight). In the nip, post morning pee, Saturday morning. Only way to get some consistency IMO and really it only shows a trend after a few weeks.

In the run up to a fight I do weigh myself before bed and first thing in the morning. It helps to know how much weight you lose overnight when weighing in at a specific weight is an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

Only do it once a week. Weighing yourself every day is very inaccurate and you'll drive yourself crazy.

I did it a few years ago, and I've just started doing it everyday - it doesn't bother me at all in terms of obsessing over it, but you're right, it's inaccurate in itself. What weighing every day does give you is the data to fairly accurately spot a trend that accounts for fluctuations in water etc. Takes some nerding about with a spreadsheet and generating a graph though.

Got the idea and details from here: the Hackers Diet. The nerds method of managing weight loss. Look for the 'Signal and Noise' and 'Weight Monitoring' sections. I'd link deeper to the spreadsheety bits, but I've to get back to my programming, and I've misplaced my pocket protector. *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I don't see a problem weighing yourself every morning, it's more accurate if it's consistently done in the same conditions and it's only obsessive if you let it be imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Stef1979

I agree
    this is what I do too and I find it works best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ruthy85

Perhaps you should try measuring yourself with a measuring tape once a week...See if your bulking up??? Every time I stand on a scales its always different but my measurements are the same :)

Advertisement