Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saltees next Saturday (31 May)

• 27-05-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

I've booked passage to the Great Saltee next Saturday. Hopefully the Puffins will be in. If anyone is interested phone the boatman Declan Bates at 053 9129684. He leaves Kilmore Quay at 10am. This of course depends on weather conditions so you'd have to check the forecast on Friday night. But it's looking good, I think.

Regards,

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I plan to go around the 16th. Boat sorted, so just depending on weather.

Your trip should give a good indication of bird life at least.

Can't wait to see yours photos.

Have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Was up there last weekend with Bovril but it was a bit too windy to land :(
    Can't make it this weekend though, wedding to go to , double :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Hey John, what time will he be coming back? I will be in wexford this weekend and am itching to try my new 70-200 out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Roen wrote: »
    Was up there last weekend with Bovril but it was a bit too windy to land :(
    Can't make it this weekend though, wedding to go to , double :(

Yep was gutted about the weather last weekend. I plan to try and make it down this weekend but it will for Sunday and Monday so I'll have to see if Declan is going out then. If not then I'll be down again later in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Going to try and get there myself this weekend if possible. Have a cricket match on Saturday (with a few pro Aussie players in it) and maybe have Sunday free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the boat driver is a family friend, my family are from there, been there a million times, never once went to the islands, harbour was lovely just before it gont done up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Arciphel wrote: »
    Hey John, what time will he be coming back? I will be in wexford this weekend and am itching to try my new 70-200 out...

I think he comes back to collect people around 4pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

Out of interest how much are you being charged for passage to the island?

cheers

OK I think I am on for this, i got my 70-200 this week and a 2x teleconverter and want to try it out :pac: and i'm gonna be in wexford anyway so what the hey. John Finn, PM me on your mobile number if you are interested in meeting up beforehand, otherwise i'll see you on the boat. Now, who's bringing the ham sandwiches!??!?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

My missus and myself are going on Saturday morning, we are catching the 9am boat out and the 1.30 boat back.
    He is charging €35 per person, half price for kids.

Darragh

• Advertisement

That seems odd. I thought there was some law to say boats could only land from 11am onwards. The owners of the island allow people on alright but only at certain times.

Bovril,

He seemed to be pretty busy, he is doing 4 runs out that morning at 9, 10, 11 and 12
    I thought as well you could only get on the Island between 11.30 and 4.30 but supposedly not

Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

kensutz wrote: »
    Going to try and get there myself this weekend if possible. Have a cricket match on Saturday (with a few pro Aussie players in it) and maybe have Sunday free.
    Where is this?

Daragh, would it be adviseable to ring and book in advance (like tonight) or wait until tomorrow and see the forecast for satuday? Cheers!

Where is this?

Lismore Co. Waterford. Not sure about the pro players yet or if they can turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Is this advertised on any website?
    The Irish cricket one is slow to update eh......

On a sep issue how come your landscape pictures are for sale and the sport ones are not? :)

No our friendly is between 2 seperate "councils". As for the pics not sure must check it out.

Arciphel,

I booked this morning and Declan was saying he is pretty booked up on Saturday, he only had 2 other spots on the 9am ferry when I rang him at 12 today.
    The weather for Saturday is supposedly looking good according to Metcheck and Met Eireann

Darragh

Cheers Daragh, I rang him this afternoon and he was all booked up, so i am going out on sunday instead. anyone else going on sunday?

yes I'm booked on the 11am boat on Sunday. Weather is not so good for Sunday though. I'm going to ring him tomorrow and ask him what he thinks about Sunday. I'll hang around until Monday if I need to too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

hi all,

I'm heading down to Rosslare for the weekend and was thinking of visiting the Saltees. I gather May/June is a better time to be seeing wildlife, but can anyone tell me if there's still lots to see out there now? ...have I missed the Puffins?

Also, I found this mention of sea-kayaking trips for beginners out the islands here: http://chooseireland.com/county/wexford/saltee-islands/ (bottom of the page)

Anyone know anymore on this please? prices? difficulty?
    any info much appreciated.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement