Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the HELL, I Was Banned............

Options
  • 27-05-2008 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

............... but I totally deserved it! I don't know about anyone else but it annoys me the amount of 'I've been banned' threads that pop-up in Feedback, especially recently. Almost always on closer inspection the poster has been banned quite rightly. Why on earth they think it was an unfair ban I have no idea. I feel that we need an antidote to these silly threads and hope this one stops at least one poster from starting another of these.

In my time here on boards I've been banned just the once thankfully by the lovely Beruthiel and from After Hours. I totally deserved the ban and took it on the chin. I didn't argue about it and I didn't start a whinging thread in Feedback looking to have the 'injustice' reversed.

Boards is a heavily moderated site and it's all the better for it. The place is strict but fair. Abide by the rules and everyone has a good time. Generally, not always, but generally if you've been banned it's been for a good reason. Before you start a thread about the terrible experience you've just gone through and feel the need to initially amuse but then annoy everyone have a look back at the thread you were banned from.

Follow the flow of conversation. If you were banned you were most likely warned first. Realise that you were banned for a good reason and will most likely regain your access to that forum when your time is up. Take it on the chin, learn from your experience and don't start giving out about it. Complaining only serves to make you look silly and if you just take the ban practically everyone will forget about it in time and it won't tarnish your image or reputation.

So who else has been banned and quite rightly so? Share yours here and maybe we can let some posters see that bannings happen, for a reason and that everything worked out in the end.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I was naughty a long time ago and banned many times. And look how nice I am now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Well said!

Now here's a lolcat ...

lookhowcutei128394619393125000.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Banned from after hours by Terry twice in the space of 10 minutes. That has to be some sort of record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

soccer ban myself a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Banned from Spellchecks by hullaballu when he was just a pup-mod. First person to be thrown out from them I think. My own fault for arguing, no big loss though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I got banned from After Hours for pissing off Monty at one stage, but then he unbanned me and said it was actually pretty funny. :D

Some thread that a muppet started, I said something along the lines of "10 seconds until thread locked... must spam!!!" and proceeded to post pictures of spam, and say "Spam spam spam" a lot. If you thought "In before the lock" was annoying, then by jesus, think how irritating a dozen posts of spam would be! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you were banned you were most likely warned first.
    Nope. Was always a "you're banned" PM. AH for suggesting napalming certain people, from Christianity for something about the Jesus's ma, banned from calling a scumbag scum in the GAA forum. Was also banned for going off the handle in PI once or twice.

I deserved the PI bans, but man, those f**kers had to called muppets. The rest, meh.

Banned from AH twice. Don't think I've been banned from anywhere else.

Most people deserve their bans.

I was banned from the transition year forum for trolling.Very much deserved.Also banned from AH in the summer of 2005 for saying a racist ditty in relation to the brazilian being shot on the tube.In my defence,I am very immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

the_syco wrote: »
    Nope. Was always a "you're banned" PM.

Yep, think I've been banned from PI and "Pro" Wrestling before, and I totally deserved it each time.
    Stern but fair modding is the best way for boards to be ran, look at what a fine upstanding poster it turned me into! ¬_¬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

im banned from soccer or soccer requests, posted in someone elses access request. deserved it, but totally worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

banned for a rickroll. I was drinking a little... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'm still banned from After Hours after calling some dickhead a dickhead. was supposed to be a three day ban, never got round to getting it removed.

Also the first person banned from the mustard forum, for trolling it by posting PI style threads about mustard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Got banned from Latops before but thanks to the mod it was only a few hours and all was well after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Banned from instruments - still a bit torn up over that one tbh! Hungus, do us a favour would ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

4 bans from Paranormal
    3 bans from AH
    1 Ban from Paganism
    1 ban from Celebs
    1 Perm ban from Soccer Access
    1 ban from Adverts.ie

...... I think thats it?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Banned from PI from Victor many moons ago for calling someone a moron,
    banned from feedback for a reason i cant remember
    banned from tcd twice for various reason

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I had a old account banned (and still is) for advertising a gaming website through pm's...
    Not the worst in the world but I now know how annoying it is to get those messages.
    as for this account (my only account before you ask) i've never had a problem... I think

Wow it amazes me the amount of mods that have been banned at some stage. There's hope for me yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

TelePaul wrote: »
    Banned from instruments - still a bit torn up over that one tbh! Hungus, do us a favour would ya?

Just checked it up there, it seems your permabanned by Feylya from Instruments for mucking about with dual accounts, so there's nothing I can do for you. You could try shoot Feylya a PM about it, it has been a while, or you could chuck up a thread on the helpdesk and politely request to have the ban reconsidered.

That's all I can do for you I'm afraid, but here's hoping you can get it sorted.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

1huge1 wrote: »
    Wow it amazes me the amount of mods that have been banned at some stage. There's hope for me yet.

mods are Just users outside our fourms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Banned from soccer for beinging a muppet to a mod. I'm banned for ever apparently, I made a stupid joke (an offencive one at that) and was banned from the soccer forum, plus an infraction. In my profile it said that something expires in a month, I took it as the soccer ban, it was only the infraction, silly me. As I taught it was the day it should be lifted (eve of Liverpool game, extra insentive) I asked a soccer mod to lift it. He did so, then informed the mod that banned me in the first place, then she rebanned me for matters already explained. I didn't know this at the time, got pissed off and started getting abusive to the mod. Got a month long site ban, and eternal ban from soccer.

Totally deserved, I don't mind I'm banned now, because the new Manchester United F.C. Supporters Club forum should be formed soon, admins permitting. That'll make me happy, beinging able to talk about soccer on boards again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

6th wrote: »
    4 bans from Paranormal
    3 bans from AH
    1 Ban from Paganism
    1 ban from Celebs
    1 Perm ban from Soccer Access
    1 ban from Adverts.ie

...... I think thats it?

Well now if this isn't hope for all those 'I Was Banned' thread starters I don't know what is. You can be banned, banned again and again and still become a mod if you compose yourself and start contributing positively. A banning isn't the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kaimera wrote: »
    soccer ban myself a while back.

I'm just a week back from a soccer ban.

Totally deserved it was.

Am I banned from Gah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've got a...few...bans from AH in my time here. Most if not all were totally deserved, there's only one I'd question but whatever, it's in the past now. Feel bad for Terry though as he got me on some really bad days and got the full whack of my bad reaction to them, but again that's in the past now and I think the air between us is cleared.

Have one or two bans from PI for posting jokes

One or two from Fashion & Appearance, can't recall what they were for but given who the mod is I'd say I most certainly deserved it.

Currently banned from soccer access requests, brought it on myself.

Whether it has "worked out in the end" would probably depend on who you asked though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

got banned from AH once for falling into one of Sonnenblumen's not so elaborate traps :D

got warned first ...still couldn't resist ...ah well ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

the_syco wrote: »
    Was also banned for going off the handle in PI once
    Me too, despite a couple of warnings. I so deserved it.
    crash_000 wrote: »
    Also the first person banned from the mustard forum, for trolling it by posting PI style threads about mustard.
    LOL
    I did that once but didn't get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i'm currently banned from AH because i called someone a racist when he said he'd do something that's in direct violation of anti racism legislation.

my fault tbh. i should have said "that's a racist thing to do" because it's against the rules to directly call him a racist

i think it's funny that if he did what he said he'd do he could be prosecuted for being a racist but i got banned for calling him one.

since he said he'd do something that's specifically mentioned in anti-racism legislation, calling him a racist isn't technically personal abuse, it's simply a statement of fact :D

so i demand to be unbanned!!!1!!!1 injustice etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

banned for a rickroll. I was drinking a little... :o
    sorry but what is rickroll?
    i was banned for silly things but in glady accepted them as i was a newbie there a lot to learn from posting.Best thing to do is read the rules at the beggining as which i wasnt aware of now i learn from mistakes.Pm the mods to say sorry will probably be the best sollution to the problems that arrises.
    Im still baned on bm forum and im silly for for doing what i had done but i have said sorry to those mods but in the end of the day it might not work out.
    As i see a lot of bans lifted if you go the right way about it.But alot of forums has differant lengths of bans which i think is wrong imo.
    what i mean is that every forum should have the same ban limits as some are stricter than others.
    My ban for 2 months on bm was to long imo and have put everything to try to solve it by really meaning im sorry,really sorry at the bottom of my heart.
    hellrazer im very sorry:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Alan Ford wrote: »
    sorry but what is rickroll?
    Google it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickroll

Advertisement