Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did everyone get their new brown bins?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

We got a brown bin delivered last week and it has to the most stupid idea that I have ever heard of. For a start, who wants a bin full of rotting vegetables right beside their house?

I also found out today, they the Council are only going to collect the normal bins once every 2 weeks, which I believe is a serious health hazard and is badly thought out.

The council should really allow full competition within the area and allow the private companies collect rubbish from people every week if required.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

jahalpin wrote: »
    For a start, who wants a bin full of rotting vegetables right beside their house?

The planet from what I can gather! I believe it makes brilliant fertiliser and compost.

I have had one for a while. You get used to it. Don't forget your green bin will take plastic bottles now. We end up skipping a black bin week every now and then!

One problem is the moron bin men only half empty the brown bin. I have to leave a note on the lid saying "please empty this properly this time" Imaging we all half did our jobs....

tip.... cut your grass and pile it over any maggot problem, it seems to suffocate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

After the first month of having rotting food in ours (& the associated fly problem - wait until summer), I now use ours solely for getting rid of grass cuttings. Black bin (again) for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I heard something about using bio-degradable bags in the brown bin, anyone shed any light on this?
    iMax wrote: »
    wait until summer

I have had a full summer with mine, I am fairly lucky though, the bin is a good bit away from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I've seen 2 types of these, the newer ones seem to have air holes down the sides, which i imagine simultaneously makes them easier to smell, and also makes the smell go away faster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Just got one this week. Other parts of city and other cities round world have them years ago and I have'nt heard many/any complaints. I'm hoping that if the instructions are followed such as wrapping food in paper and putting layers of grass over rotting stuff smell wont be bad and the holes on the sides will allow smelly gasses to rapidly dissipate. May be better off buying a wormery though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

I've had my brown bin for months now, I think it's a great idea.

There is no smell from it (not that I've noticed anyway)

And it's about time we can do something in our every day lives to help the environment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Terrible idea, and why?..

Well unlike most here, my job requires that I do alot of night shifts and times when I'm away from home for longer.

Upon my return I notice, almost everytime - the smell of rotting food. Its awful.

I don't think its an issue for most people because your at home (mostly) and so used to the smell, for me its almost sickening. I can smell it from the front gate.

I've also noticed more flies around the place, I'm putting that down to the rotting food. I'm dreading how its going to smell if we've a hot summer!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

All our neighbours got one but we didn't. Same with other people on our street. Most got them but some didnt?? Anyone know why that might be?? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,181 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just got one this week. Other parts of city and other cities round world have them years ago and I have'nt heard many/any complaints. I'm hoping that if the instructions are followed such as wrapping food in paper and putting layers of grass over rotting stuff smell wont be bad and the holes on the sides will allow smelly gasses to rapidly dissipate. May be better off buying a wormery though.

There's evidence that fortnightly collections of the brown bins contributes to London's rat problems:
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23414269-details/'Moral+victory'+for+bin+protester+who+is+plagued+by+rats/article.do
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/article1289644.ece

There's scum who drop any rubbish off on any spare bit of land they find, just how conscientious do you think everyone is going to be about following the instructions on what goes into what bins? If you're just renting, how much effort are you going to put in to worrying about three bins?

I think the people who come up with these ideas have no conception of the real world. The Corporation put fruit-bearing trees into estates like Marino, so for about a month a year the whole area is covered in crap apples. Smart move.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Have you been paying your bin charges?
    I assume they won't deliver to people that are in arrears?
    Maybe someone stole it, either?

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There's scum who drop any rubbish off on any spare bit of land they find, just how conscientious do you think everyone is going to be about following the instructions on what goes into what bins?

The scum who dump their rubbish wherever they like need to be dealt with seperately.
    If you're just renting, how much effort are you going to put in to worrying about three bins?
    I rent and i take it very seriously indeed, my biggest current gripe is that i've no proper way to dispose of garden/food waste, and (as a renter) I don't want to buy a compose bin for a property I may not be living in long-term.
    I think the people who come up with these ideas have no conception of the real world. The Corporation put fruit-bearing trees into estates like Marino, so for about a month a year the whole area is covered in crap apples. Smart move.

Don't they run the street-sweeping trucks through residential areas anymore?
    Also, wasn't Marino built in the 1930s? I imagine back then that a) cars, and b) people not taking any pride in their area were far smaller factors.

Igy wrote: »
    Don't they run the street-sweeping trucks through residential areas anymore?
    Also, wasn't Marino built in the 1930s? I imagine back then that a) cars, and b) people not taking any pride in their area were far smaller factors.

(a) The trees were put in in the 1990s and have now grown to maturity
    (b) I wouldn't recommend holding your breath between visits of cleanup trucks
    (c) Back in the 1930s, or 1980s, people who would have cleaned up the litter in their areas (including that falling from council-installed trees) wouldn't have been charged extra rubbish costs for being good citizens

odyssey06 wrote: »
    (a) The trees were put in in the 1990s and have now grown to maturity
    Point taken, I presumed they were planted along with the original houses, I'm not down there too often so i'm not actually sure which trees these are
    (b) I wouldn't recommend holding your breath between visits of cleanup trucks
    Only really going on my parents' street in Beaumont, but the corpo street sweeping trucks seemed to visit about once every 4-6 weeks i thought?
    (c) Back in the 1930s, or 1980s, people who would have cleaned up the litter in their areas (including that falling from council-installed trees) wouldn't have been charged extra rubbish costs for being good citizens
    if they had a brown bin.... :P
    (though yeah, i see what you mean)

Igy wrote: »
    Point taken, I presumed they were planted along with the original houses, I'm not down there too often so i'm not actually sure which trees these are

Fair enough, I suppose it wasn't clear from my original post! They're not the big trees along Griffith Avenue, they're on the smaller Marino and Fairview streets, and they produce crab apples. There's problems with kids throwing them at houses, cars, and each other. They shake the trees whenever they get a chance and bring down dozens.
    They corpo send someone round once every 2 weeks, but seriously within a few days the streets are covered again in squashed apples.
    if they had a brown bin.... :P(though yeah, i see what you mean)

The brown bin will help a bit, I suppose, as you are charged less for that. I just hope that (a) people use them as they are supposed to and (b) they aren't left lying and attract rats.

I just think in general the people in the Corporation imagine Dublin is populated by perfect citizens who will carry out their bin instructions to the letter... they never factor in scumbags, lazy people, people renting who don't give a damn, the hassle for older people having three different bins to deal with etc etc
    Of course there's lots of people (including diligent renters) who will use 'em properly, but I wonder if that'll be even 50%.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i havent got mine yet but cant wait.

you can buy bio degradable bags in tesco which you can use in your bin. I only put out my black bin maybe three times a year and that does smell too bad, so i really dont see what the big deal is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

irishbird wrote: »
    I only put out my black bin maybe three times a year and that does smell too bad.

What 3 times a year, thats got to be a typo.. If I miss a week I'm screwed..

flynnc8 wrote: »
    What 3 times a year, thats got to be a typo.. If I miss a week I'm screwed..

no typo. i recycle everything possible. so i have very little waste.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I put the black bin out rarely. Not sure if I will be getting a brown bin since I have no garden or place to store it, but it's not really an issue as I have a four-legged recycler.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I assume all who have the brown bin are living on the north side. I'm living west and haven't heard a thing about them,I know their being rolled out to different area's at different times,I know that drumcondra got their's about two years ago. Anyone know what the timescale for the rollout for dublin is?
    I have a compost bin the past two years,unfortunatly all it's produced is a wet sludge. With only two of us in the house we don't generate enough of a variation of waste to get good compost,at least when the brown bin comes we can get rid of most of the grass clippings in it.

I live on the northside and i havent got mine yet. was on the Dublin City Web site last week to see when they are rolling it out to the finglas area but there are no dates.

I am like you. i live by myself and i wont have a enough food waste for a viable compost.

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote: »
    I live on the northside and i havent got mine yet. was on the Dublin City Web site last week to see when they are rolling it out to the finglas area but there are no dates.

I am like you. i live by myself and i wont have a enough food waste for a viable compost.
    I'm close enough to you and also wondering.
    Beaumont got them last week, and i've seen a few around glasnevin/phibsborough, so it'll be soon i think

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Haven't received ours yet but we will be using it only for cut grass, potato skins etc.. My aunt has hers a few weeks now and was using is as instructed, putting all food waste in it and she said she checked it one day and it was nearly walking out of the garden by itself.. phook that tbh.. Urgh..

Advertisement