Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are they so slow to update my balance

Options
  • 27-05-2008 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows why AIB are so slow to update your balance.
    The day before I got paid last month, I was in town with little money on me, I checked my balance that morning and it said I had money, so I spent the bit of change I had and went to take out money, I had insufficient funds to take out to get me home (even though the balance said I had some)

When I rang AIB they told me that there was pending laser transactions and were able to tell me my real balance. What I want to know is why they can tell me my real balance when taking to them in person but neither the ATM's, phone or internet banking can.

Why can't they all just work off the same system (ie the correct one)?

I went on holdiays earlier this month and a few days after I got home I checked the balance and recent transactions to see if they took out the money I spent abroad (I wanted to buy a pair of shoes). Money was good and they seemed to have taken out the money I spent abroad so I thought I was grand (only to find out that there were still more to come out)

Whats the point in telling you your balance if most of the time its wrong, it really annoys me :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

When you login to AIB Online Banking the main screen shows your list of accounts and the balance.

If you then go into the individual accounts you may notice that the balance is more or less than is available.

My understanding (and what I've been told by the bank many times) is that the balance showing (in your list of accounts) when you first login is the amount you have available to you.*

* This does not apply to AIB credit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I think it's the best system TBH. You use the laser the money comes straight off. For some other banks this doesn't happen. The amount of people who come into me complaining that they have no money in their a/c is rediculus because the systems do not update for between 1-3 days!

During that time there is nothing to stop a person spending 100 eur on the laser, going to the ATM machine and withdrawing 100 eur. Then when the transaction is posted they go overdrawn and are hit for overdrawn charges and interest because they've forced credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Aib are very good at irish credit card transactions ,they seem to have a team of people constantly monitoring transactions and looking for fraud.
    My father had his credit card skimmed last year ,within a couple of hours of the card being used he got a call from AIB ,saying that the transaction didn't match with the way he'd normally use it .
    Of course they were right and the card was locked ,pretty impressive.

Aib is slower than other cards ,but legally they are probably on the ball the most.

Advertisement