Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service in a few days - Some questions!

Options
  • 27-05-2008 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

Lads my car is due for a service so will probably get it done at the end of the week. Only thing is this looks like its going to be a pricey one! I've a few ques and any answers very much appreciated!

Firstly I have to get the timing belt done (MKIV Golf 1.4), and the indy mechanic I went to for last service said he could do it for about 350. I gather this is reasonable enough??

The 'EPC' light has also come on in the past week. I noticed last night when I was parking up that my brake lights were not working (all 3 :(), so i'm assuming this EPC issue is regarding the brakes/ABS???
    What kind of job does this involve? Pad / disk replacement? (This evening they were actually working - and EPC light was off).

Lastly, and most worrying, is my gearbox. It is SERIOUSLY rough to operate! Not quite to the point where it grinds on gear change but if i'm stationary and just clutching and changing it is far from smooth. Last october the mechanic told me to "keep an eye out for a replacement" as he said it was pretty bad back then. I'm almost certain it needs replacing though.
    How much should I expect to pay for this? Do I need to go to a motor factors to find one? Where is best place to look?

A lot of questions i know but any info seriously appreciated lads!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

EPC light sounds like the brake light switch gone, known issue about an €80 fix from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    EPC light sounds like the brake light switch gone, known issue about an €80 fix from a dealer.

Ok cheers. Well i'll get over that, but its the other two that have me worried!

I was thinking of upgrading soon and I am wondering is it worth shelling out for the TB and gearbox! :confused: I'm assuming if I get all this done I could be looking at costd close to 1K euros!? :eek:

Advertisement