Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car company will suffer most after the July VRT/Tax change?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

What car company will suffer most after the July VRT/Tax change? I'd be interested to see Subaru's sales after July.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Scooby are going releasing diesel engines, I thought, to blend in with the crowd?

Personally, I think honda are gonna suffer big time unless they release a diesel civic - they only have the crv and accord with diesel engines and new diesel accords aren't the easiest cars to lay your hands on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd say the 1.2 Fabia is on the way out anyway.

Manufacturer wise?? Haven't a clue. It'll depend on the margin adjustment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

land9 wrote: »
    Scooby are going releasing diesel engines, I thought, to blend in with the crowd?

Personally, I think honda are gonna suffer big time unless they release a diesel civic - they only have the crv and accord with diesel engines and new diesel accords aren't the easiest cars to lay your hands on.
    I can see your point. However, the petrol 1.8 Civic has very low emissions for a petrol car and the tax will drop by a couple of hundred Euro as far as I know. I think the hatchback doesn't even have a spare wheel to keep the weight down. It has a pump!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RX-8 will be goosed. Small engine, but a big polluter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Surely Land Rover will suffer big time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm bringing in a Subaru Forester 2.5XTe auto next Tuesday, at 250g I can't imagine there will be too many of them coming in after July. Wonder will this firm up resale values of pre-July cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

There's still gonna be a stigma attached to petrol cars, especially any over 1.6 litre.

Yeah, the weight saving is all to do with passing emission regulations - when you pick one up, you wonder if it was really necessary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Subaru, Skoda and Land Rover are not particularly big sellers as company cars. The RX-8 is definitely not.

Pick your cars from these categories if you're looking for company cars:
    Focus/Astra/Golf/Megane
    or
    Mondeo/Avensis/Passat/Vectra
    or
    9-3 / S40 / Lexus IS / C-Class / 3-Series / A4

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

AudiChris wrote: »
    company cars:

Car Company - not Company Car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

My mistake. Nevermind.

In that case - Subaru by a long shot. They've had a very small market share anyway, this will be the final nail in the coffin. I'd be surprised if they had a dealer network of more than a handful of dealers in the next few years.

They need a serious revamp of the model range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Subaru. Also Land Rover as even the diesels are brutal and the VRT and tax is going up on them (no harm either as they're tasteless yokes).

Regards Honda, the 1.8 SOHC R-series engine in the Civic is a class leader and VRT and tax will be coming down. The 1.4 i-DSI will see an even bigger drop. This also affects the Jazz 1.4 and 1.2 (same engine), both of which will be dropping in VRT and tax terms.

The new Accord as well as having the more efficient i-DTEC diesel engine will also have the new SOHC R-series 2.0 petrol which is substantially more efficient than the older DOHC K-series. Expect them to be competitive. They'll be introduced into the CR-V also. In fact the CR-V is available with the 1.8 R-series in some markets already.

The 2.2 diesel Civic will be introduced and matches the 1.4 D4D Corolla for emissions and mpg, but has vastly more power.

S2000 will get the bullet. Legend doesn't sell. FRV, despite the 1.8 R-series is a lump, so it's going up.

Honda had their best ever year last year in Ireland (still tiny by comparison to Ford, VW, Toyota and BMW tho). I'd expect it to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

now for E92's BMW filled reply.....

colm_mcm wrote: »
    now for E92's BMW filled reply.....
    Smartass.

BMW will do well, owing to Efficient Dynamics and diesel. It's expected their market share will increase from 50% to over 75% of all new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JHMEG wrote: »
    It's expected their market penetration will increase from 50% to over 75% of all new cars.

Great :rolleyes:

Who's gonna let us out at junctions now?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say Lexus might struggle a little. Their petrol engines are not the most efficent next to the new range of BMW and some new Audi engines coming online.

Subaru. Also Land Rover as even the diesels are brutal and the VRT and tax is going up on them (no harm either as they're tasteless yokes).

Does anyone think the extra 6% VRT or €509 increase in road tax will remotely effect the Range Rover/X5 customer base?

Our car park at work has recently seen an E200 replaced by an A6 Allorad 2.7 and only yester a 520 replaced by a 3.0 X5.....it's not like you can write off the whole cost of the damn things against tax, or even a third!!

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd say Lexus might struggle a little. Their petrol engines are not the most efficent next to the new range of BMW and some new Audi engines coming online.
    The most price sensitive is the bread and butter IS, but all the diesels are coming down by about €6,000, so happy days for them. The LS attracts the kind of buyer to whom money doesn't matter that much... there's not much difference between €168,000 and €181,000, but it's rude to mention money. GS and RX might suffer a small bit tho.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Does anyone think the extra 6% VRT or €509 increase in road tax will remotely effect the Range Rover
    We can only live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Smartass.

BMW will do well, owing to Efficient Dynamics and diesel. It's expected their market penetration will increase from 50% to over 75% of all new cars.

What do you mean by market penetration? Surely not market share?

jimogr wrote: »
    Ya sorry. I come from a technical background..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,425 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The problem is you'll be stuck behind all those BMWs that nobody will let out ;)

jimogr wrote: »

I can drag up notes and check, but IIRC it's about how many of the market segments you can get on a socio-economic-age-gender basis....nothing to do with market share.

Great :rolleyes:

ROFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

ninty9er wrote: »
    I can drag up notes and check, but IIRC it's about how many of the market segments you can get on a socio-economic-age-gender basis....nothing to do with market share.
    Ok, that makes sense, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

It looks like Subaru are throwing in their cards, a visit to their website will see the following,

"BUY NOW & SAVE €000's All current Impreza, Forester, Legacy, and Tribeca models will increase in price on 1st July."

But what about after July, the Tribeca will increase in price by €6,745. The Forester will increase by €4,555 and road will increase by €1,101/year :eek:

Subura prices now and after july
    http://195.212.6.166/Subaru_ie/ViewMenu.qed?menuid=M6M1

Subura road tax now and after july
    http://195.212.6.166/Subaru_ie/ViewMenu.qed?menuid=M6M0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

Mercedes in particular the C-Class range will be hit although the diesels are coming down in prices I don't think they have a model in the 16% category or 20% category. So that segement Mercedes will be lossing out to BMW, Audi and Lexus (IS220d).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Merc fare the worst out of it, by a mile.

Lexus aren't particularly good either.

Subaru have a diesel that gets into 20% VRT in the Legacy, all we have to do now is wait for them to sell it here. 20% VRT is as good as anything else out there, and is seriously impressive considering how thirsty Subaru's boxer engines normally are and the fact that they have energy sapping 4 wheel drive too. In time we will see this engine in the Legacy, Outback, Impreza and Forester.

Better still is the fact that they want to sell a more powerful version of that Boxer diesel too, as a WRX impreza. I don't know why people are worried about Scooby, though I agree that all their fast cars that they are famous for are practically gone after July.

Unfortunately cars like the RX-8 will fall by the wayside too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Mheh .. i don't think anyone will lose out, people will still buy what they want.

Besides, theres a larger market than Ireland.

Co2 emission tax came in here on the 1st of April and if anything car sales have returned to normal. If anything i hope it will get rid of some of the total sh*tboxes driving around on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 seaniep

The most price sensitive is the bread and butter IS, but all the diesels are coming down by about €6,000, so happy days for them. The LS attracts the kind of buyer to whom money doesn't matter that much... there's not much difference between €168,000 and €181,000, but it's rude to mention money. GS and RX might suffer a small bit tho.
    Lexus pulled a quick one on the IS. They shoved the price up by about €3.5k around April so their new pricelist show the diesel reducing by €6k rather than €2.5k based on the Jan 08 pricelist. They are even showing a reduction in the 220d sport which was set to rise by over a grand on the Jan list. (I think they still represent good value over their peers)
    Can't really blame them tho - they were struggling to show comparable savings to A4 / 320d. They are MAJOR losers on the big hybrids though with the correct increases shown on the excellent XL files done up by one of the members here. Some models increasing by up to €25k !!!!!!!!! Interesting to see the real effect on overall sales but I bet the whole thing will be distorted by a general downturn in the economy anyway.
    Seaniep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement