Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling Car at auction

Options
  • 27-05-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

hey,

Quick question,

Want to sell my car and not getting much response online.
    Would it be worth going to auction and using a reserve price?

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You could try eBay?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

yeah, but does that not cost a bit/be worth it, i know i wouldnt but a car a buy on ebay, but it is 2008......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

you get nowhere near what its worth and they charge a bit for it too - better to lower your price i reckon

Cant lower price anymore and its a bargin even the way the market is at the moment, just a bad time to be selling i guess.
    Can you not put a reserve price on it in auction? If thats the right term, tell them to start as high as they want but cant go lower than x euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

Thanks biko,

I found the links to autions sites, was more interested to see if anyone had privately sold their car this route?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The firm I worked for a few years ago used to sell all of it's fleet cars through auctions simply to get rid of them quickly and easily. Most large firms -- car hire outfits etc, do that. Private sales do take place, and in the auctions we used a reserve price could be set, although the auction house would reject it if they thought it was too high. Mainly the auctions are used by small traders to buy cars, and they aren't there to pay high prices. If you choose a day of sale when a local fleet owner has dumped some stock, the price you are likely to get will take a nosedive as there will be too many good cars chasing too few buyers. Car auctions are risky places for private citizens.;)

Thanks for the advice.

I've posted the ad every place on the net i could find so hopefully will have some good news soon!

Advertisement