Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Cork

Options
  • 27-05-2008 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi ! Does anyone out there know of an active cycling club in Cork for those of us who love to cycle but are not into the competitive side of things? I'm thinking of e.g. a day out on the road on a Saturday, Sunday or some midweek evening ; road / touring, not mountain.
    Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

I asked the same question a few months ago but didnt get much of a response.
    The reason why was there has not been a relaxed cycling leisure club in the city for years. But one has started off in the last few months called the Cork City Cycling club as far as I know. Your best contact for them is Victoria Cross cycles. Just call in and ask, I think the owner is one of the main organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CrankyCod

A few of us had a club until last year, called the Cranks. We used to do fundraising trips and went on 3 trips abroad.

The website is out of date but is at http://www.crankscycling.com/

Unfortunately most of the others have packed in, there are only 2 of us left who cycle regularly. However if anyone else would like to meet up they'd be more than welcome- there's no longer a formal clubs so it's just a case of meeting up and pedalling along.

We usually go for spins on Saturdays and Sunday mornings, typically 20 to 40 miles depending on the weather/ humour. The pace averages about 13 to 15 MPH, we're both in our mid 40s so we're not setting any land speed records!

I live near Whitechurch so I tend to cycle around Glenville, Carrignavar area but we coud meet up anywhere around the city. i did a nice spin around the harbour last week, Railway Station to Rushbrooke, ferry across to Monkstown, then back via Carrigaline and Douglas. Something like that would be a good way to get started. Let me know if ye're interested and we can make arrangements.

I'll be heading out this Sunday and Monday mornings if it suits anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Hi there

A few groups exist in Cork the ones I know are

1 Group go from City Hall 8 am every Sunday and at 630 Wednesdays from St Patrick church(near train station)

2 Another group go differnt times during the week and at 9 am on Saturday from various City location

There are riders off all different experience and speed so please feel free to come along

If you like please pm me if I can help adn will pass on my mobile no

Hope this helps
    Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

There's also a group that leaves from City Hall on Sundays at 8:30 which might suit you. I haven't been out with them yet but I know some of the regulars and they're a very friendly bunch who I expect would be quite open to new 'members'. Most age groups are represented and I've no reason to think it's a lads only group. The distance covered varies as does the pace. They do crank it up at times but I'm pretty sure they regroup regularly to ensure nobody gets left behind. An integral part of the whole experience is a refuelling stop at a nice cafe somewhere half way through. If anyone knows the group I'm talking about please chime in with corrections, clarifications and additional info!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Hi there

Yes I go out with them very nice bunch normally go Fermoy/ Kinsale or Macroom

All new members welcome Im sure

Noel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 surfette

Thanks for all the info everyone ! :p

Advertisement