Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match in Gaelic Grounds: parking and food?

Options
  • 27-05-2008 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

We're heading to Limerick on Sunday to see Waterford v Clare in the hurling championship and I'm looking for some advice.

First of all, where's best to park out that direction? If I remember correctly, there's a big shopping centre on the Ennis Road somewhere nearby, but would it be within walking distance of the Gaelic Grounds?

After the match, we plan to head into the city for a wander and a bite to eat. Nothing too extravagant, but somewhere that does say, pizza or a good panini and chips, would be ideal. Any recommendations?

How about parking in town? I seem to remember a multistorey near Nancy Blakes - if someone can tell me what street that's on, I'll be able to get there with a map.

All replies greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

The car park near Gaelic Grounds is the Jetland shopping center. Only two mins walk from the pitch. Watch out for clampers though, I'm not sure if they operate there.
    The car park near Nancys doesn't open on Sundays. Try Arthurs Quay just around the corner. You pass Arthurs Quay on the way to the other place anyway.
    As for grub, have a wander and see what you find. There's a load of good places such as Moll Darbys, Texas Steakout and Milano's does a decent pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If I were you trying to get back after the match I'd park at the top of the town and walk out rather than have to cross the city on the way home. Traffic will be brutal, but at least it'll head in different directions!!

Not sure what car parks open on a Sunday. On street is free if you get here early enough (11ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Id say park in the Jetland shopping centre or the retail park across the road from the jetland centre, they are both right beside the gaelic grounds!

There is a supermacs and McDonalds right beside the gaelic grounds.

If you are going to town then go to NYC Pizza on Henry St. serves pizza and chipper food :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

You have not a hope of parking in the Jetland. For big hurling matches the Guards now close off the Ennis Road from Sarsfield bridge to Ivans Cross at midday so unless you intend arriving at the stadium before 12pm you wont get near the jetland. Park in town. Its only a 15 min walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Just don't park on the greens around Brookville

GAA supporters have been driving up on them for years - parking wherever and wrecking them

Finally council/guards began clamping cars recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

I'd say park on William St or Mulgrave St and walk to the grounds, about 15 to 20 mins. Walking back to the car will be 10 times faster than queueing in the traffic on the Ennis and Childers Road. Plenty of restaurants as you walk through town and best of all you are pointed for home when you arrive at the car.
    Oh!... And best of luck in the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thanks all for your kind replies!

denismac wrote: »
    Oh!... And best of luck in the match.

...but especially you, denismac! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Was in Smyths for Lunch yesterday. the Cornmarket carpark you asked about is open unrtil 7 on a Sunday. but as mentioned park up Mulgrave street or somewhere, get out of town quick and stop in Pallasgreen for food. They do nice pub grub in The Chaser opposite the petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Since you'll be coming in from the Tipperary direction, best thing to do is come in by Mulgrave St, go left onto Gerald Griffin St and then right onto Roches St, best to park your car there if you come early, its a long sloping street with plenty of parking. You're only a 20 minute walk from the ground. Don't even dream about parking around the ground, far too much hassle unless you know the housing estates above the Gaelic Grounds. For food i would recommend Smyths on Denmark St, good food with big screens. O'Grady's Cellar Restaurant, Luigi Malone's and The Brazen Head, all on O'Connell St. Enzo's on William St also do a decent fish and chip.

Advertisement