Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight lifting bench and weights (80kg)

• 28-05-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

Hi,

am looking for deals on a weight lifting bench and weights. I know Argos do the cheap York weights but would sooner spend a little bit more (€250) and get something decent.

Ideally the bench will be foldable for storage and the weights will be metal plates.

Thanks,

Branners

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Hi branners69,
    Mickk over on the fitness form sells all that kind of equipment.

Send him a pm...let him know I sent you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

im also looking for weights but just dumbels only 50lbs-60lbs set..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭branners69

Cheers workaccount I'll send mickk a pm now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mickk sells good stuff but it's expensive - not expensive as in overly so, but in terms of someone looking for a budget buy it might not be ideal.

I'd buy the plates off him and a bench in Argos or something - those benches are fine. I use one of the ultra cheap ones...no problems with it. You should be able to get a functional bench and a cheap bar for 100 and with the other 150 make up 80kg in good plates. You are right to avoid the cheap weights though, I have a mix of cheap weights upstairs and proper plates - the cheaper plates, some of them, are non-standard and don't fit on my bar as the hole is absolutely tiny. And this is a skinny bar, about 10kg, not an Olympic one or anything. Very, very annoying. don't skimp on plates since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭branners69

Thanks TerrorFirmer!

I was looking at the narrow bench on the irish-lifting site and it looks very solid, I'm 15 stone (down from 18.5 I might add :) ) so I am looking for a solid bench so I might just pay the extra 40 or so euro!!

Do you know which ending on the bars are better the spin lock or collar?

I am assuming the collar are faster for changing the plates, any advantages of the spin lock?

Cheers,

Branners

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Spin lock is a pain in the tits, especially when you're using the same plates for other bars. Collars definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Spin lock is a pain in the tits, especially when you're using the same plates for other bars. Collars definitely.

100% agree.

Advertisement