Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business vs job

Options
  • 28-05-2008 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Long story short- I'm looking for someone who could be my teammate and "detonator" for starting some new venture(s).

I've been planning and killing plans on paper for too long and among my friends and relatives people there are no people that would share same thinking as me. I have ideas, and they keep coming, I know that they have to come true eventually.
    I've been on a pay job since ever, and I know that using my time, knowledge and energy, how much I put myself at work, would be much more rewarding, challenging and interesting if I would go for my own business.

What has been stopping me so far is that I haven't met people with whom I could try it together, also I am not 18 anymore and have some bills to pay, so I'm not taking a plunge with eyes closed dropping everything I have behind. Its all calculated thing, and instead of standing there alone, I'd prefer a team.

If anyone of you would know where I could meet people that are about to start something, have ideas, but are looking for someone to join forces or (ideally) you would want to be part of my team, let me know!

thanks!

PM if interested, otherwise opinion welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

try joining up with your local junior chamber of commerce ... you may find like minded people ... and can get the ball rolling through them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thecola

forbairt wrote: »
    try joining up with your local junior chamber of commerce ... you may find like minded people ... and can get the ball rolling through them ?

Do you have any more specific contacts (Dublin sure preffered). quickly checked Junior Chambers in general, they are too much of somethign else.

Thanks in anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

no sorry .. I've just moved up to dublin from galway so will be looking into it over the next while

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi, Did you try your local enterprise board. They can some times offer advice, mentoring, start your own business courses etc at reduced costs.

http://www.galwayenterprise.ie/

Might be worth giving them a call. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Without giving too much away, would you mind telling us your background/expertise and are your ideas in a specific area or are they needs you see everyday and see a way of filling those gaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thecola

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Without giving too much away, would you mind telling us your background/expertise and are your ideas in a specific area or are they needs you see everyday and see a way of filling those gaps?

I'm financial analyst in a large company. Experience totally would be 5-6 years. Have worked in several companies of a kind gradually maturing the level of position. I love analytical work yet I know that working as analyst now and as a manager in some time is not what I want. Mainly hate killing time at work, when there is time to sit and nothing much to do.
    I have currently only Bachelor's degree, yet the business school where I obtained it (not in Ireland) was one of the best in its area and captured my interest on managerial level problem solving. Started studying Masters 2 years ago (now i know it was wrong school), dropped because I value my time more than that what I got there. Currently slowly going for ACCA, but the slow speed is because of some reasons why I cannot do it fully, yet I do it for myself not that diploma what I will get in the end.

As for ideas - yes, mainly my ideas are filling the gaps of what is see around. I've lived in different countries, and in each I have learned something about people, about cultures, about how things are done and why. I am not thinking of myself as a person that knows everything, yet in every situation I will take something that is there for me.
    Currently my ideas are several areas, like import and distribution in Ireland, production (i.e. industrial), and sort of a management.

Does it make any sense as answer to your question? Feel free to drop some commentary, of any kind!

thanks,

P.s. I'm not looking for business opportunities to make my self a job, this thing must be profitable and fun in a way. I am looking for the way I can live my life and not live my work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

It's difficult to comment on your situation because you've so many ideas but already have an image of what you want to do. That's great in one way, but restrictive in another. I think there's also other personal issues here too. First is you're bored in your job. That by itself is not enough reason, or motivation to start a business. Especially, as you've said yourself, you've been in a pay job for ever. The change in lifestyle may be just too drastic for you.

Second, you see yourself as an analyst and manager, that can be a problem because it automatically means you want to run someone else's business. That's what you're doing now. Running your own business, at least in the beginning, means being a manager, maintenance person, receptionist, marketeer, operator, driver, technician, etc.... Being a small business owner means doing everything yourself.

Talking of small, this leads me to another issue, you're thinking too big. You need to think small, much smaller. For example, you said you'd like to do import and distribution in Ireland. You could find a product or range of products you can import and sell at a profit, or become an exclusive agent for here. You could do this while staying in your present job.

This kind of approach is what I'd recommend. Stay in your present job, research a practical, simple, business idea. Then step by step in your spare time develop this side line business. If it proves a success then you can continue to develop this business. Eventually it may turn into your new full-time career. If it doesn't you've lost nothing, except your time and your initial financial outlay, which would be minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Hey, great idea OpenCoffeeClub! I see the next meetings on the 12th. of June. It's a shame my time machine is in for a service! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭MB74

OpenCoffeeClub??? I know this is a slight diversification but sounds interesting. Anyone with experience?

• Advertisement

I thought it sounded like great fun and a lovely idea, until I saw this video: http://blip.tv/file/871043/ What a load of baloney! :eek:

Advertisement