Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever Admin a Forum before?

• 28-05-2008 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

When I was about 15, inspired by musicianforums, (which is now Sputnikmusic), of which I was a very active member, I decided to download phpBB and make my own forum.

I called it 'God's Pocket Forums', it wasn't religious or anything, I guess I was just trying to be interesting or philosophical or summit..I was 15.

So I bought the domain, for a whopping £70 for two years, which in hindsight was a massive rip-off, and I set it up with this english bloke called Rachid (who was 22 at the time), who became my Co-admin.

I had never met Rachid, yet we spoke daily on msn, concerning the development of our child, godspocketforums.

The site became surprisingly popular, with all my immediate friends holding memberships, as well as something like 300 other people from places such as Nicaragua, Toronto, California and Brighton.

We developing a nice little community that never really discussed music as was intended, but internet-friendships were forged and yeah, it was fun!

I suppose I was just putting it out there to see if anyone else had ever set up a forum themselves, and if they wanted to get all nostalgic with me, and that.

God's pocket has been off the net for years now, but with the help of the Wayback Machine, I can see what it used to look like!

http://web.archive.org/web/20041214011927/http://www.godspocketforums.net/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Yeah have my own dot.com, it's based on vbulletins software too but mine is mainly for my friends because we all travel alot and it's a better way to stay in touch than e-mail, I have blogs, an arcade, streaming worldwide TV and radio, a real time instant chat box, Goldbrick imbedding software and then the usual forums etc. I pay for it all myself and probably get one new member a week but it's not commercial so I never have to worry about advertisment or membership(I don't even have google adds :p) , if it was 2 members or 1000 members would make no difference because I pay for it all. It's become a big hobbie now and I generally use it for learning XML and Java and have learned alot from it and have dual booted to Fedora 8(Linux) to see where I could host it from there because I'm considering hosting it myself (it's currently hosted on Digiwebs who are great to deal with, I'd just like to host it myself), it means I'd have to have a PC running 24/7 so that will be a cost but I have a very dedicated member base and they don't want to lose it so would help me out with that because even though I built it it belongs to all of us, it's a cool way to have your own little friend base that is easly accessable and it's only like 700 quid a year to run it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Yes, im a admin on a car site or two, a MMORPG game site and soon ill be launching a car site myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Yep im the admin of goldenplec.com

used to be quite a busy site but a lot of factors with the people involved in running it and myself have meant we havnt had the time to update it and slowly it kind of died down.

Working on some new idea's for it and hope in September to launch a new look new style version of the site, it is one of the few long lasting music sites ireland has next to the likes of gigsmart, cluas, thumped. The rest have come and gone. presumably costs being the major problem

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i look after emeraldcircus.com at the moment..

cant see this thread lasting long here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Aye i can see this one being locked and binned, if for nothing else the self triumphantism.

Splinter also used to be a part of the goldenplec team

• Advertisement

Sadly a CSS forum (online game). You get an enormous amount of **** on it too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I've been admin on loads of failed invisionfree forums and then the one that wasn't a failure wasn't mine. I had originally planned a site and had made an off site forum for the time being. Didn't go anywhere, I was 13 at the time I think.

I'll probably look into something like it in the future and do it properly but as of now I don't have any ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I used to be on a forum called ffgon.com, although it wasn't my brain child, i helped two guys from the states set it up, paid my share and that was it. Big Final Fantasy one. was getting 5000 hits a day in it's prime....i wonder if it's still around, excuse me......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Me and a friend used to run a site called irritainment.net it had a forum on it but we abused it something rotten changing peoples posts and generaly pissing people off. It eventually all went belly up but fun times where had by all. Except the users of the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ScumLord wrote: »
    Me and a friend used to run a site called irritainment.net it had a forum on it but we abused it something rotten changing peoples posts and generaly pissing people off. It eventually all went belly up but fun times where had by all. Except the users of the site.

the power just went to your head man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

the power just went to your head man
    Definetly, we got to go to a few gigs as jornos though. That really sent us over the edge, the co owner of the site went mad on drink and basically went ranting at all the "artists" back stage at witness calling them all manner of useless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Used to run a site called sexyclan for my warcraft clan(Clan SeXy).
    http://web.archive.org/web/20051023005825/http://www.sexyclan.tk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Admin Irishgardeners.com as shown in my sig below.
    A bit of work at times but well worth it when you see peoples gardens blooming through members advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I started my own dragon forum based on IP.Board, and Im still working on it.
    I admin a network of scifi forums, also based on IP.Board with about 7000 odd members.
    I started another stargate themed site and I co-admin a Terminators themed one, both of which will be joining the aforementioned network of scifi sites soon enough.
    I used to co-own a vBulletin based dragon forum, but my partner booted me off without warning one day.
    And I also ran the (now defunct) Snet forum, again, based on IP.Board.

On a side note, I can say just this, I cant stand vBulletin, its like the Microsoft Windows, of forums IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i actually admined three or four. two of which i set up myself (phpBB) and one i was bumped up to admin on vbulletin.

two were based in videogames stuff (general culture, releases etc.... not specific to any games), the other was a boards.ie affair with randomness that ended up falling to pieces when our host kept crashing and as a result our userbase dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

No. I would feel terrible guilt for facilitating a breeding ground for social ineptitude.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Admin for 3 years of delusionalfxp, a 5000+ member board but Real Life had to kick in sometime so gave it all up to now mod on 3 different forums (here included).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

i am a moderator on trophymanager.com which has over 100,000 members.

i've been an admin on one forum and modded 2-3 sites/forums over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I mod a little site called 'boards.ie'.
    I doubt anyone has ever heard of it.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I mod a little site called 'boards.ie'.
    I doubt anyone has ever heard of it.......

And you rule it with an iron fist...damn forum nazi :(

Don't ban me please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

And you rule it with an iron fist...damn forum nazi :(

Don't ban me please

Dance for me!
    Dance for me and my anger may be taken out on someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

im a mod on ringleaders gaf and nowts happening there?
    also Boards IrEland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I was Co-admin of a CSS site for 2 years, until it disbanded (on good terms).
    Had about 500 registered users with 50 regular posters, not big by standard but it was busy enough. I remember those days fondly though

Advertisement