Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your flavor?

• 28-05-2008 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

What distribution(s) of Linux are you using at the moment.
    Are you happy with your current setup?

I am running Slackware 12.1 on my main machine at the moment,
    and it's a very nice distro. Messing around with config scripts is a learning experience, plus I have trimmed it down alot in terms of resource usage.
    Ubuntu 8.04 is running on the other machine and I think it's great too, simply because of the "just works" philosophy and easy management.
    If only the family members embraced Linux a bit more:(

So, whats your flavor:D
    *Please, lets not turn this thread into a "my distro is better than yours" thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I run slackware 10.1 on a server I set up at home to learn about *nix, it works so i'm not bothered upgrading:D

poll ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Sean_K wrote: »
    I run slackware 10.1 on a server I set up at home to learn about *nix, it works so i'm not bothered upgrading:D

poll ftw

Had to start a new thread:(
    I have to agree, slack is a good way to learn to *nix way.
    Especially with the dependencies I had to resolve on my barebones install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Naikon wrote: »
    *Please, lets not turn this thread into a "my distro is better than yours" thread.

But it is! :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Ubuntu on the laptop, Vector Linux (Slackware derived) on an old (11 years) computer I re-assembled from parts in my room. 200mhz pentium II, 32mb ram ftw. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'll see your Slackware and raise you one Gentoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Ubuntu on the server and the desktops. However these days I recommend the Ubuntu=>Slack=>LFS=>Ubuntu path to people. It gives you a deeper knowledge, but when you've "got it" you can move back into an environment where your config file editing skills are a seldom used (though necessary) resource.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Had to edit the config files to get Xubuntu to work on my laptop.... and kick the **** out of it in order to get the touchpad and volume control to behave.

Just because they're normally a user friendly distro, doesn't mean they won't need a beating to get going. I'm still getting the kinks out of it a month later, and there's some things that won't ever be right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

isn't xubuntu a server distro and not necessarily for laptops hence why you needed to do so much work to get the touchpad and volume controls working?

maybe i'm wrong though as i've never touched any of the *buntu's.

Cremo wrote: »
    isn't xubuntu a server distro and not necessarily for laptops hence why you needed to do so much work to get the touchpad and volume controls working?

maybe i'm wrong though as i've never touched any of the *buntu's.

Anything with a gui isn't a server:D
    Seriously though, Xubuntu is no different from standard Ubuntu.
    Xubuntu is the exact same as Ubuntu, but with XFCE as the desktop
    environment. Ubuntu uses Gnome as standard, which can be a resource
    hog on a machine with little memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Yeah...

It's a brilliant thing.... 8.04 uses around 260Mb of RAM under general use... and on my old 256Mb RAM Laptop, 7.10 ran beautifully.

8.04 is not as good... and it doesn't help that i's basically the Xubuntu desktop envirnonmet bashed on top of a standard Ubuntu Gnome environment.

• Advertisement

Dartz wrote: »
    Yeah...

It's a brilliant thing.... 8.04 uses around 260Mb of RAM under general use... and on my old 256Mb RAM Laptop, 7.10 ran beautifully.

8.04 is not as good... and it doesn't help that i's basically the Xubuntu desktop envirnonmet bashed on top of a standard Ubuntu Gnome environment.

Have a look at one of the window managers like fluxbox if you want less
    resource usage. Flux can take a bit of time to get used to though I warn you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ahh right, ya learn something new everyday.

i bearly got passed the stage of using a ubuntu live cd which was given out in college to practice your shell scripting on \o/.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Anything with a gui isn't a server:D
    Seriously though, Xubuntu is no different from standard Ubuntu.
    Xubuntu is the exact same as Ubuntu, but with XFCE as the desktop
    environment. Ubuntu uses Gnome as standard, which can be a resource
    hog on a machine with little memory.

XFCE FTW! But seriously what kind of distro needs to babysit you so much that it tells you what window manager to use?

What's next fubuntu for fluxbox? I know I mentioned it already in the poll, but you can't beat arch. All the packages you need, ready and waiting for you with all the dependencies sorted. And you can have whatever window manager you like. Shock horror. :)

iUseVi wrote: »
    XFCE FTW! But seriously what kind of distro needs to babysit you so much that it tells you what window manager to use?

What's next fubuntu for fluxbox? I know I mentioned it already in the poll, but you can't beat arch. All the packages you need, ready and waiting for you with all the dependencies sorted. And you can have whatever window manager you like. Shock horror. :)

EVILwm ftw!

Yeah, there are too many *buntu distros floating about.
    Not that I am against it in any way, free software and that.
    Came across this though which is a bit rofflesome:D

http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/christianubuntu/2006/07/about-ubuntu-christian-edition.html

I still have yet to try Arch however.
    Pacman sounds nice, and I like minimalism which it offers.

EVILwm ftw!

Yeah, there are too many *buntu distros floating about.
    Not that I am against it in any way, free software and that.
    Came across this though which is a bit rofflesome:D

http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/christianubuntu/2006/07/about-ubuntu-christian-edition.html

I still have yet to try Arch however.
    Pacman sounds nice, and I like minimalism which it offers.

rofflesome indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

iUseVi wrote: »
    rofflesome indeed!

Tell me you don't want one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

Ubuntu Ultimate Edition

1.8 64 bit based on Hardy Heron with all the extra bits you just know your going to add!!
    So far none of the issues I have had in 8.04 have surfaced in UE.
    32 and 64 bit are rock solid on all my machines!

Khannie wrote: »
    Tell me you don't want one!

I don't want one!:eek: Happy now? Although if I ever need a bib, I know exactly where to go...

Advertisement