Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyopop Manga pilot contracts

Options
  • 28-05-2008 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

So a few weeks ago I read a post online regarding the new Tokyopop Manga pilot and some concerns over the wording of the contract to go with it. Gave it a glance but as I don't do Manga style work and even if I did I'd already heard the nightmare stories regarding Tokyopops contracts. Over the past week a number of blog posts have sprung up as more and more people have read this new contract and spotted the major "WTF?" in it.

Bryan Lee O'Malley has prob the best post in that it covers most of the issues people have with the contract. its really worth a read and even having a look round to see some other posts on the subject as, while you may never consider submitting to Tokyopop, contracts and the ins and outs of them is an area that alot of indie press people are in the dark about [actually its not just indie press, I know alot of animators and live action film makers who have been stung very badly by not knowing what they were signing away when they signed contracts]

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Jesus, that's AWFUL. If you're not careful, they get the non-exclusive perpetual rights to publish your comics without having to pay you ANY money for the privilege!? Talk about making that whole Zuda kerfuffle about "Contestants" look like a storm in a teacup....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

Ha. I didn't know Tokyopop published comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Nathanual

Also be careful of people who think they are God's gift to comics buy just talk and talk and do nothing... it's just as dangerous to get mixed up with someone like that...

I speak from experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Damn. ya beat me to it. :p
    Anyways, I read that O' Malley blog, and the original article on Comics Reporter. Takes the piss, donn'it? I've lost the very small respect I've ever had for Tokyopop. And now I'm reconsidering entering the Rising Stars of Manga...

Advertisement