Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Galway City?

Options
  • 28-05-2008 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We are planning to return home to Ireland this summer - to the east of Galway city. I will be working in Oranmore but I am willing to commute to allow my children (aged 10 and 8) to attend a good school. We are currently living in Shanghai (for the last 3 years) and have not lived in Ireland for some years. Any advice or recommendations for good area to live in the Galway city area would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Oranmore? Its got the schools covered, and the post primary school got rebuilt there a few years ago and its now one of the more advanced in terms of facilities in the class room. Then of course you have the 3 primary schools, boys, girls and irish.

With the way the house market is over here though you might wanna rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, rent in Oranmore and then make your minds up.
    It's quiet but growing fast. To find accommodation - daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

I would go with Oranmore also.

I'm not a native of Galway..relative newcomer, but have got to know the city/surrounds pretty well.

You can see the recent development around the village..apartments and shopping centre etc..which is making it look more like another suburb of the city, but it still seems to have a very local community feel to the place..a real plus in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Maybe try Roscam, halfway between the city and Oranmore. Nice area and you have the best of both worlds. Very close to Renmore school too.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I'd suggest Oranmore as well. Moved here nearly 4 years ago and love it. It's got a villagey feel but is well covered in terms of restaurants and with the building going on there will be lots more shops. It's got a great park, lovely farmers market on a Thursday and is only 8 miles from the city - 10 minutes with no traffic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Hennybug wrote: »
    I'd suggest Oranmore as well. Moved here nearly 4 years ago and love it. It's got a villagey feel but is well covered in terms of restaurants and with the building going on there will be lots more shops. It's got a great park, lovely farmers market on a Thursday and is only 8 miles from the city - 10 minutes with no traffic :)

Exactly what Hennybug said. You will not have any regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 draggy

Thanks for all your advice. Oranmore is our target then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Oranmore would be a fine village/town if they just got rid of that ugly, ugly Texaco right in the middle of the main st. It also causes most of the traffic problems, although in a few years time it'll be all one way

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's also an Oranmore 8 screen cinema and bowling along with more restaurants in the industrial estate outside the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Hennybug wrote: »
    y 8 miles from the city - 10 minutes with no traffic :)

...if you are willing to drive at 3am:D

Only joking; if your new job is 9 to 5, then don't consider anywhere outside Oranmore because traffic is hectic 8 to 9am and 5 to 6.30pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Had this dilema a while back too after returning home!

Ended up renting a really nice place in Dangan/Bushy Park and couldnt recommend it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Oranmore would be a fine village/town if they just got rid of that ugly, ugly Texaco right in the middle of the main st. It also causes most of the traffic problems, although in a few years time it'll be all one way

Whats the story with the one way system? Is there anywhere (links?) to find out about this.

With all the proposed development in the area (the new shops on the east side of the village and the development on the bay front near the castle,) and if it does go one way I think it would be an even better place to live (now if only they could sort out public transport into Galway!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Webbs wrote: »
    Whats the story with the one way system? Is there anywhere (links?) to find out about this.

With all the proposed development in the area (the new shops on the east side of the village and the development on the bay front near the castle,) and if it does go one way I think it would be an even better place to live (now if only they could sort out public transport into Galway!!)

Can't find any links to it myself but its been no secret that the bay by the castle will be developed akin to Salthill, as in with a street overlooking the bay, the way the village should have originally been founded...how it ended up with a main street so far from the sea is a strange one. At one point there was a road going from the castle accross to where the coast road is now. How the village didn't develop from there, I don't know

Anyway, it makes sense that traffic will go one way up the main street and then the other direction along the developments beside the castle. I should stress that its just a rumour but a strong one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Can't find any links to it myself but its been no secret that the bay by the castle will be developed akin to Salthill, as in with a street overlooking the bay, the way the village should have originally been founded...how it ended up with a main street so far from the sea is a strange one. At one point there was a road going from the castle accross to where the coast road is now. How the village didn't develop from there, I don't know

Anyway, it makes sense that traffic will go one way up the main street and then the other direction along the developments beside the castle. I should stress that its just a rumour but a strong one

Will be a big boost for Oranmore when complete, could be a cool place to live - agree very strange that the village has no outlook to the Bay,

Advertisement