Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund on rotton can of beans less than the postage costs.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

''Run to the tabloids''? This is the stupidest thing I've read in a long time.

You can get that with any product. Besides, why should the beans manufacturer offer more than 4 quid? They're not responsible for the cost of posting certain items. Anyway, as stated by a previous poster, they don't have to offer anything afaik. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

He could have died from food poisoning, I didn't see the offending can but I am sure I would have thrown my guts up with just the whiff of them. The reason he would have sent them back was to give the manufacturers a taste of their own medicine and that they should examine their quality control.
    lol, "he could have died from food poisoning"?. Come off it - why would someone eat food that is gone off? How do you know the can didnt get damaged in your house?
    Someone brings a can of rotten Heinz beans back to Tesco, it is immediately dumped in the skip down the back, a replacement can is offered to the customer, and a request is made by Tesco to the manufacturer for a freebee/credit to replace the offending can. More than likely the manufacturer will never see the offending can and how it managed to escape QC and see if this could be a potential problem in the future, ie were the cans sealed right, was there bacteria in the food before it was packed, was there more in the same batch etc.
    Exactly, that is what they are supposed to do. What do they need to see? Do you think there is an epidemic rotten beans in tin cans or something? Has it happened so many times to your father that he is just fed up of it or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

axer wrote: »
    why would someone eat food that is gone off?
    It happens regularly especially with the elderly if they dont check the dates.
    axer wrote: »
    How do you know the can didnt get damaged in your house?
    Yes, a few mice trying to open the can with a hammer and chizzle, thats what probably damaged the can. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You said they were rotten to the core. I can't imagine anyone eating them not knowing they were gone off.
    Yes, a few mice trying to open the can with a hammer and chizzle, thats what probably damaged the can. :rolleyes:
    Yes, I am sure it was some mice and not someone dropping the can or putting/dropping heavy items on top of the can causing damage as the mice sounds just so much more logical. How do we or even the manufacturer know that the can wasn't opened a month before it was sent back to make it rotten to the core? you seem so disappointed ye didnt get a windfall. How much would have been enough compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

This should be ran_to_da_'Recycle Bin'

OP, you still haven't answered why your father didn't just bring it back to the shop. This is quite obviously the most straight forward and logical thing to have done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Someone brings a can of rotten Heinz beans back to Tesco, it is immediately dumped in the skip down the back, a replacement can is offered to the customer, and a request is made by Tesco to the manufacturer for a freebee/credit to replace the offending can. More than likely the manufacturer will never see the offending can and how it managed to escape QC and see if this could be a potential problem in the future, ie were the cans sealed right, was there bacteria in the food before it was packed, was there more in the same batch etc.

Not always true, very often if it's a complaint to do with food the retailer will often send it back to the manufacturer at the request of the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

cast_iron wrote: »
    This should be ran_to_da_'Recycle Bin'

OP, you still haven't answered why your father didn't just bring it back to the shop. This is quite obviously the most straight forward and logical thing to have done.

Because he heard of some friend that sent a pack of some chocolate back to cadburys and got a case of free chocolate and now he's pissed he didnt get enough compensation for the emotional trauma of seeing rotten beans.

P.S. tis quite easy to split a can by accident, dropping it coming from the car, inside your house, or even someone about to open it, split the top on it and then realise they dont need it and put it back with the seal broken on the top.

Run_to_da_compo_wagon more like

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

SDooM wrote: »
    For everyone else here, do you not think it's getting a bit cliquey in here? I do and I have to admit I'm guilty of it. Time to be a bit more friendly I think. :)
    Seeing how the OP has posted so far I think you're proven wrong on this point, it may be cliquey in here but it is for a damn good reason as well!

To OP, if your grandfather (or someone else for that matter) in such a bad shape that they can't notice the taste, smell, look or texture of a can of beens rotten to the core and that they would eat it don't you really think they should be in nursing home?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Yeah, would they even be able to operate the can opener?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

He could have died from food poisoning

Link to some medical journals to prove above?

Nody wrote: »
    To OP, if your grandfather (or someone else for that matter) in such a bad shape that they can't notice the taste, smell, look or texture of a can of beens rotten to the core and that they would eat it don't you really think they should be in nursing home?

Best post of the thread!

I think the question we all want answered is:

HOW MUCH MONEY DID YOU EXPECT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

how were they sent to the UK? Food can't, except under certain circumstances, be sent through the post.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

They should have sent him back a bill for all the lovely free penicillin in the mouldy beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

amtc wrote: »
    how were they sent to the UK? Food can't, except under certain circumstances, be sent through the post.

Serious ?! ... Damn i'll have to stop posting rashers and sausages then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

Proove It

Seriously RTTH, you're having a laugh. Is your dad a beans importer or something? Is not, he has no business contacting heinz, or whoever the bean company is. You refund a product at the point of purchase, say you paid centra 50c for the can, they bought it from heinz or what ever the case may be bor a lesser price. I'd be ecstatic if I was you, getting 4 sterling for a 50c investment. Eh and why did you send them back the can, like why the fock would they want a can of gone off beans?? Just contact HR if you believe there's a serious problem with the product. Like, seriously heinz or whoever the manufacture is is pumping out millions a cans a day, like holy $hit, they didn't air pack one properly - get real!! You sound like you found the golden ticket in the willy wonka bar with your gone off can of beans!

Closing argument - you should have brought back beans to the point of purchase to seek a return. End of story

Why don't ya FedEx over the next can of beans - haha the postage will cost ya a tenner then and you'll still only get your 4 lousey pounds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

SQDD wrote: »
    Proove It
    Have you ever worked / lived with the elderly? they have to be constantly monitored, i.e. fridges must be checked and emptied of out of date products, sell by dates are sometimes impossible to read even by our standards. Not just beans, try reading the use by dates on egg cartons, bread, sausages etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Have you ever worked / lived with the elderly? they have to be constantly monitored, i.e. fridges must be checked and emptied of out of date products, sell by dates are sometimes impossible to read even by our standards. Not just beans, try reading the use by dates on egg cartons, bread, sausages etc.

We are still waiting for you to tell us how much money you expected, Charlie Bucket.

Also some scientific journals to prove how someone can die from mouldy beans.

I'm talking about this point:

"He could have died from food poisoning"

I'm quite sure that regardless of the stench, if you ate the beans then you would not suffer foodpoison, even if there was motile bacteria floating around the beans. In these factories, hygene is generally second to none, and the chemicals used to zap bugs that cause food poisoning are highly effective.

There is no evidence to suggest that eating mouldy food causes food poisoning, sure don't we all eat moudly cheese. Someone being elderly or not is irrelevant to the point.

Now you've brought up a different point about the visibility of best before dates. These are set by standards so it is irrelevant if someone has a problem reading them - what would a blind person do?

Yes I live with my 88 year old mother. Thankfully she is in great health and doesn't need monitoring. If you're father needs monitoring then the onus is on you to check his food. The "elderly" aren't invellids, if an elderly person has a specific disability then the onus is on others to provide help, not manufacturers. The point you bring up is of no relevance, but it does bring up the fact that your father needs monitoring and so his food will be checked anyway. ...and besides what does the use by date have to do with it?? I was under the impression that these beans were in date?

Sorry if i'm coming across aggressively, i'm just getting steam off my chest, the fact is that you came here to rant about being screwed over a 50c pack of faulty beans, and "all" you got back was 4 pounds in vouchers.. All things considered i'd consider this a great investment. This brings up the whole compenstation culture nation, and I think that it is wrong that we as a nation, individuals such as yourself are exploiting the good nature of companies and seeking unjust compensation from the manufacturer. What's it going to be next - the 9 legged spider in a pack oy Tatoes?

Yours etc

We are still waiting for you to tell us how much money you expected, Charlie Bucket.

Also some scientific journals to prove how someone can die from mouldy beans.

Haha, see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOjB3KsSDr0&eurl=http://video.aol.com/video-detail/mouldy-sandwich/1938724336

I think the guy's still alive!!

From http://www.moldbacteria.com/newsletters/2005/sep2005.html
    It is true that people may eat mouldy food without any harm. In many cases, children and adults who live on the streets in developing countries survive on food and fruits thrown into waste bins. Most of these foods and fruits are usually contaminated with mould and bacteria.

So yes.. homeless people live off mouldy food..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

make up your mind OP.
    first off you said the beans were visibley black and mouldy and that you couldnt believe how dreadful they looked.

now you are saying your father could have eaten them had you not spotted them being out of date.

so which is it? you cant have it both ways. either they were this big gunk of mouldy mess that were clearly gone off, or they were capable of being esten without someone noticing they were gone off.

which is it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement