Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

veg BBQ recipes

Options
  • 28-05-2008 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

my housemate is a veggitarian and so she only gets to have a veggie burger and some salad when we have bbq's.. has anybody got some suggestions or recipes for me to .....you may even get an invite to the next one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Emmi

Hiya, am a veggie myself, so always on the lookout for recipies. Found this site before, might give you some ideas :)
    http://www.barbecue-online.co.uk/barbecue-recipes/bbq_vegetables.htm

Enjoy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

try the vegetarian forum. they've links for recipes and such in the stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Veggie sausages, Corn on the cob, mixed peppers, Portobello mushrooms, sweet potatoes Mmmm, garlic Mmmm. Veggy kebabs a great way of serving any veg really. Grilled or bbqd cheeses are also riciulously delicious..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

try the vegetarian forum. they've links for recipes and such in the stickies.

don't forget to throw on an unpeeled banana and cook it til it's soft after you cook the mains. serve with ice-cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

don't forget to throw on an unpeeled banana and cook it til it's soft after you cook the mains. serve with ice-cream.

Alternatively slice it open lengthways without removing the skin, stuff it with chunks of chocolate, wrap it in tinfoil and put it in the ashes of the coals and wait for the chocolate to melt. Think of it as a chocolate hot dog in a banana bun!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

MMMm, I am a vegetarian too and have been at two bbqs recently, I enjoy fake hotdogs, chicken and burgers so mine was really ust the same as everybody elses. Vegetables on a skewer are good too, mmm mushroooms.
    Now I have to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 -PhreaK

I normally do the soy burger / vege sausage thing. Apart from that it works great if you cut a ring out of a capsicum, crack and egg into it and while its still liquidy put in some fried onion and garlic (and any herbs if you've got them handy). When it cooks you'll have an egg patty type thing you can whack on a burger with loads of salad... yum.

You can also get some marinated tempeh (or marinate your own) cut it into thinish strips and cook it till they're cripsy. They make a nice side to a salad or awesome snacky things you can dip in hommous or *insert favourite dip here*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

The most successful veggie bbq dish I ever made was jerk tofu. Good but buncha work.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Don't touch any of Tristan's veggie recipes, we now know he is the worst vegetarian in the world!

-PhreaK wrote: »
    I normally do the soy burger / vege sausage thing. Apart from that it works great if you cut a ring out of a capsicum, crack and egg into it and while its still liquidy put in some fried onion and garlic (and any herbs if you've got them handy). When it cooks you'll have an egg patty type thing you can whack on a burger with loads of salad... yum.

You can also get some marinated tempeh (or marinate your own) cut it into thinish strips and cook it till they're cripsy. They make a nice side to a salad or awesome snacky things you can dip in hommous or *insert favourite dip here*.

Love the sound of both of those. Capsicum usually called peppers this side of the Atlantic but just as tasty...
    I'll definitely be borrowing that recipe, thanks.

A.B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

i think we have a winner.....i only have a grill and this suggests i need a hot plate but not to worry i was think outside the box and so it shudn't be a problem

did one last night where u just cut up som capsicums/peppers g/y/r and some onions add the herbs of choice wrap in layers of tin foil and leave whilst cooking chicken ...omg so full of juice tastiest burger of the year so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 -PhreaK

axiom32 wrote: »
    did one last night where u just cut up som capsicums/peppers g/y/r and some onions add the herbs of choice wrap in layers of tin foil and leave whilst cooking chicken ...omg so full of juice tastiest burger of the year so far :)

Nice... that reminds me of another one I want to try. I usually do it in the oven but it should work as a foil ball on a bbq. Basically you get a nice big field mushroom stack it with loads of vegies (grill things like the capsicums/peppers first), some cut up vege sausages, herbs etc and a bit of camembert cheese. You shouldn't need to cook it for too long, just enough to get all juicy and melt the cheese through the veg. The mushroom will also cook in the juice of everything else and take up the flavour.

Nice... that reminds me of another one I want to try. I usually do it in the oven but it should work as a foil ball on a bbq. Basically you get a nice big field mushroom stack it with loads of vegies (grill things like the capsicums/peppers first), some cut up vege sausages, herbs etc and a bit of camembert cheese. You shouldn't need to cook it for too long, just enough to get all juicy and melt the cheese through the veg. The mushroom will also cook in the juice of everything else and take up the flavour.

Good God, I'm actually salivating reading this one!!
    Bring on some bbqing weather...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Stuffed mushrooms are great, I like to put fried aubergine and bread crumbs in them, maybe a bit of soy sauce..

Advertisement