Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1080p through component

• 28-05-2008 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Moving house soon (again) and am looking to buy a new TV. I'm basically looking for something that will support 1080p through component, preferably a Samsung. I know there is some issues surrounding this but am not too aware of the technical detail.

Any recommendations? I'm looking for something 40"+. Also, what should I be looking out for? I assume that there can be a big difference in the quality of 1080p displays.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Vyse wrote: »
    Moving house soon (again) and am looking to buy a new TV. I'm basically looking for something that will support 1080p through component, preferably a Samsung. I know there is some issues surrounding this but am not too aware of the technical detail.

Any recommendations? I'm looking for something 40"+. Also, what should I be looking out for? I assume that there can be a big difference in the quality of 1080p displays.

I don't think it's possible to get 1080p via component.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I thought 1080p was added via a software update on the console ages ago ?

With regard to TV's , yes there is a big difference , my advice is to stick with the big players , Pioneer , Panasonic , Samsung , and so on , avoid Sony unless your getting the absolute latest models , some of their sets are very poor indeed.

The Best advice is to see the set before you buy , and get the shop to put on some SD football , which really shows up bad sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

SickBoy wrote: »
    I don't think it's possible to get 1080p via component.

You can, some TV's don't support it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've mine running 1080p through component....

32 inch lcd for €499 in Aldi, perfect pricture and 5 year warranty.....

Tesco had a 42inch Philips LCD in the other day for €799 looked like a bargin.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Be aware that there are limitations on DVD upscaling over component - max it can do is 1080i. I think that this also applies to HD-DVDs too. You'll only get 1080p over HDMI or VGA in those situations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I currently use component for both my PS3 and 360. I do have the VGA adaptor for the the 360 too. Not really that interested in the upscaling DVD feature, is more for games (and yes I know a lot of games don't support it). More a nice to have than anything else. I did think that most Samsung sets supported 1080p through component though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

1080p over Component is possible however required a small ( < 1.5 meter I think) cable and a television that supports the hardware to allow 1080p component. You will need (generally) at least a 40"+ television to get the benefit of 1080p over 720p or be sitting quite close to it at least.

You will not have dvd's or HD-DVDs (or Blu-Ray when the Xbox goes blue) unscaled to 1080p over component however due to licensing issues (component can be ripped using video capture easily). You will need either HDMI or VGA to get 1080p on those.
    I've mine running 1080p through component....

32 inch lcd for €499 in Aldi, perfect pricture and 5 year warranty.....

I highly doubt you are actually getting 1080p on a cheap €500 Aldi 32" tv. It may accecpt a 1080p signal but I dont think it will display it at that size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

on dltv ,robert heron hdtv expert says theres no point getting 1080p ,unless you buy 40inch tv at least, i think 90percent of 360 games are 720p ,so if you upscale them to 1080 ,they,ll look worse ,ie they are designed for 720p ,60frames per second ,fps is sometimes less than 60 ,depends on the game.I ,d be quiet happy with a 32inch plasma 720p,1080i for gaming use.you,ll pay probably extra 300euro just for 1080p mode,which you may never use,unless you have a blueray player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

-1080p is possible over component
    -I have it running on my toshiba 37X3000 LCD and it's superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

on dltv ,robert heron hdtv expert says theres no point getting 1080p ,unless you buy 40inch tv at least

Well it really depends on what you want to do , for instance if you want to surf the net from the couch with a HTPC or laptop even , 1080p is going to give you more content with less scrolling on the screen.

Also , its going to show blu rays and such with no scaling , thats always a good thing no matter how big the screen is.

The problem with lower native resolutions is the fact that unless you buy a projector , hardly any of them are actually 1280 x 720 , which is the other natural format for HD content.

The sets are more likely to be 1024 x 768 in the case of plasmas , or 1366 x 768 in the case of LCD's , which means that everything gets scaled.

And then of course there is the 1080p 24 thing , which is good to have too for smooth as silk movies.

So there are plenty of reasons to get a 1080p TV , even if it is only 32 inch.

About a year and a half ago or even 2 years ago , when price was a huge factor , the screen size thing made sense , now 1080p sets are very reasonably priced , and anyone buying a new set should really consider getting the 1080p set over the lower resolutions , regardless of the size of the set , as the price difference is small enough to justify it.

Get the best you can for the money , chances are your decision has to do you for years , so make it a good one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement