Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vote No For Cheaper Fuel

Options
  • 28-05-2008 10:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

This text message is going around

" French, Portuguese, and Italian Fishermen blockade ports to bring down VAT on fuel. Brit truckers start go-slow campaign to bring down VAT on fuel. Governments cant do it cos the EU wont let them. French President Sarkozy has called on EU to allow VAT to be cut on fuel. Send Brussels a message on JUNE 12th VOTE NO TO LISBON..VOTE FOR A EU WIDE CUT IN FUEL VAT!- PASS THIS MESSAGE ON TO THREE OTHERS '

PASS IT ON ....IF WE ALL SEND IT TO THREE OTHERS WE CAN MAKE BRUSSELS SIT UP AND TAKE NOTICE OF US FOR ONCE:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

That's a stupid reason to vote no.

Would people remember that there are elections next year to be held that you can sort out your grievances with the government?

Instead of using something that is of no relevance in terms of punishing the Government.

In saying all that, I'll be voting no, but I'm doing it on the grounds that I don't like what the EU is doing in terms of forcing all kinds of daft measures on new cars, especially on the area of CO2 emissions, wanting to force Germany to get rid of unlimited Autobahns, and wanting blanket speed cameras all over the place as well as lower speed limits, even on Motorways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 caractacus

It seems to me that the threat of a NO VOTE from Irish Car users would be a VERY GOOD WAY OF CONCENTRATING THE MINDS of both OUR OWN GOVT and THE EU.....WHY ON EARTH WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR WHEN YOU CAN SEND A MESSAGE THIS JUNE??...IF THE EU ALLOWS A 40% CUT IN DUTY ON FUEL ACROSS THE EU ...WE WILL ALL BE SMILING...ONE THINGS CERTAIN THEY SURE AINT GONNA DO NOTHING IF WE DONT FLEX OUR MUSCLES ....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

caractacus wrote: »
    It seems to me that the threat of a NO VOTE from Irish Car users would be a VERY GOOD WAY OF CONCENTRATING THE MINDS of both OUR OWN GOVT and THE EU.....WHY ON EARTH WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR WHEN YOU CAN SEND A MESSAGE THIS JUNE??...IF THE EU ALLOWS A 40% CUT IN DUTY ON FUEL ACROSS THE EU ...WE WILL ALL BE SMILING...ONE THINGS CERTAIN THEY SURE AINT GONNA DO NOTHING IF WE DONT FLEX OUR MUSCLES ....:D

I think this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A newbie pushing an agenda.
    I've seen other new posters banned for less

High fuel prices mean more taxes for schools and hospitals for sick children, Hurray for high fuel :pac:

Seriously, if you're not happy with FF, then the local elections are not far off.
    That's your time to protest

Oh I see you gotta be on here for aaaaggggesss to be able to put a point of view...I am just reporting the fact that if you agree with French Fisherman and British truckers that VAT is ridiculously high on fuel, that the EU can but refuses to permit a member state to cut VAT on fuel, that a txt msg campaign is already going around saying ' VOTE NO TO LISBON TO FORCE EU TO ALLOW AN EU WIDE CUT IN FUEL DUTY' ....whats your problem?? Its up to people to make up their own minds, seems to me you even object to me even mentioning it....WHATS YOUR AGENDA???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

micmclo wrote: »
    Seriously, if you're not happy with FF, then the local elections are not far off.
    That's your time to protest
    +1. This referendum is about Europe, and while I agree with voting no, it shouldn't be about "punishing the Government", I said I'm voting no on account of what I see the EU trying to do to kill all the fun out of cars(and I don't see what we gain by voting yes either other than giving the EU a pat on the back).

Next year is the time to give the government a kicking, but better still would be to vote them out at a general election, cause that's the only one that really counts. The locals and Euros are storms in teacups really, they don't count for a whole lot really.

Oh I see you gotta be on here for aaaaggggesss to be able to put a point of view...I am just reporting the fact that if you agree with French Fisherman and British truckers that VAT is ridiculously high on fuel, that the EU can but refuses to permit a member state to cut VAT on fuel, that a txt msg campaign is already going around saying ' VOTE NO TO LISBON TO FORCE EU TO ALLOW AN EU WIDE CUT IN FUEL DUTY' ....whats your problem?? Its up to people to make up their own minds, seems to me you even object to me even mentioning it....WHATS YOUR AGENDA???

Maybe I'll vote no on Lisbon because there's too much traffic in Dublin at rush hour.

Seriously, where does it stop??? You should vote based on your opinion of the Lisbon treaty - voting No because of some unrelated issue might feel like you're sticking it to the government but in reality it's just idiotic.

I think I heard that taxi drivers are voting no because they want the Taxi regulator fired... the government obviously aren't in a position to correct any grievance that the population can come up with that has nothing to do with the treaty that is going through.

+1 on the above comments about the general election

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

imagine if the EU said we shoudl raise our corporation tax, or have the same income/prsi taxes as the rest of europe, there would be war - tax harmonisation they woudl scream.....

Vote on the referendum based on the question not some, hot topic that is irrelevant to the issue

Do you know what...as a car user I am sick of the EU and the government victimising us and yes frankly I would like to stick one on them....they do it regularly to us....You sound like 'Seargent Wilson' character in Dads Army...'oh come come lets be reasonable' ...sod that.

"VOTE NO TO LISBON TO FORCE THE EU TO ALLOW A CUT IN FUEL VAT."
    Txt it and pass it on.....and ignore the 'do nothings'...May 2009 my ass...I think the Lisbon Treaty has more 'leverage' as an issue than the political make of Thurles council.

You should really take the time to read posts before replying
    frankly I would like to stick one on them....
    voting No because of some unrelated issue might feel like you're sticking it to the government but in reality it's just idiotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Do you know what...as a car user I am sick of the EU and the government victimising us and yes frankly I would like to stick one on them....they do it regularly to us....You sound like 'Seargent Wilson' character in Dads Army...'oh come come lets be reasonable' ...sod that.

"VOTE NO TO LISBON TO FORCE THE EU TO ALLOW A CUT IN FUEL VAT."
    Txt it and pass it on.....and ignore the 'do nothings'...May 2009 my ass...I think the Lisbon Treaty has more 'leverage' as an issue than the political make of Thurles council.

To think that a No vote will send out that message is incredibly naive and even, dare I say, STUPID!

If there is a NO vote the ensuing analysis will focus on a multitude of issues that caused it. When looked at beside all the other groups calling for a NO vote for any number of reasons both related and unrelated to the actual treaty, this "message" about fuel duty will be 99% forgotten about.

And for the record, the Irish government is free to change the excise duty on fuel up or down if it likes, so go hassle your local TD if that's what you want. The EU sets a minimum level for environmental reasons but our current rates are a bit above that.

As for VAT, the Irish government is free to alter our VAT rates up or down as much as it likes, but it can't pick and choose individual goods (fuel in this case) to give special treatment to. It has to move the rates for everything. This is to prevent the VAT regime being used by some member states to give a major price advantage compared to their neighbours to certain industries or products.

And by the way, the above isn't stuff I heard down the pub or on Gerry Ryan. I work as a tax practitioner.

Do you know what...as a car user I am sick of the EU and the government victimising us

So, by being charged VAT on your fuel you are being victimised??

I don't see any logic there - the VAT isn't going up or anything, it's the fact that fuel is running out and prices are going up. This is a fairly inevitable situation and hardly constitutes car users being "victimised".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Voting "no" to the lisbon treaty because of fuel prices is akin to voting "no" because Dustin got kicked out of the Eurovision :D

Other than that ...this is not the politics forum, take it to there.

thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement