Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband problem

Options
  • 28-05-2008 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I posted this in another thread but I need help quickly with this...apologies

I am looking to get broadband in Glasnevin Court with a decent speed (at least 2MB). Anyone any ideas. Smart and Digiweb both tell me that its not available there which I thought seemed odd considering its not as if its in the middle of nowhere

Thanks

edited to add - I'm with Smart at the mo (have been for the past 6 months) and I'm moving house..since Smart isn't available there, they want to charge me for the remaining 6 months of my contract (about €270)...is this right?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You could check with UPC(NTL) also, they have some good BB products.

Smart charging you the full amount for the rest of the contract seems a little unfair, but probably within their right. Ask them nicely and explain that your moving house and have no choice, usually most other ISP's would leave you off or charge charge for an extra month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

In trems of Smart, they have to unbundle the exchange and if they have not chosen to do then you can't get it.

You should be able to get with eircom or any reseller, as lomg as your line qualifies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 run like hell

amtc wrote: »
    In trems of Smart, they have to unbundle the exchange and if they have not chosen to do then you can't get it.

You should be able to get with eircom or any reseller, as lomg as your line qualifies.

I don't really understand your first point (I'm not very internet knowledgeable)

Magnet have said their broadband is available and I'm sure Eircom would be the same. I would stay with Smart no problem if their service was available. Its the charge that is annoying me when its them that can't provide the service

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Like has been said, most ISPs won't charge you for breaking a contract if you are moving to a house that they can't provide broadband to. You might have been unlucky and gotten a particularly sour person on the phone, best try again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 run like hell

would it be worth giving it the whole 'I want to speak to your manager/superviser' thing ye reckon?

• Advertisement

would it be worth giving it the whole 'I want to speak to your manager/superviser' thing ye reckon?

Try the nice guy method first, if that doesn't work maybe. Might be an idea to post on their support forums and see if they can help you. http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chuckin007

bk wrote: »
    You could check with UPC(NTL) also, they have some good BB products.

Smart charging you the full amount for the rest of the contract seems a little unfair, but probably within their right. Ask them nicely and explain that your moving house and have no choice, usually most other ISP's would leave you off or charge charge for an extra month or two.

I wouldnt touch NTL with yours.
    I have had countless problems with them in Lucan. So much in fact that they recommended I cancel my subscription as I was probably taking up too much of their custumer support time which is very limited. Over the last 2 months Ive had about 1 week of dial up speeds when I should have had a 2mb line.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

chuckin007 wrote: »
    I wouldnt touch NTL with yours.
    I have had countless problems with them in Lucan. So much in fact that they recommended I cancel my subscription as I was probably taking up too much of their custumer support time which is very limited. Over the last 2 months Ive had about 1 week of dial up speeds when I should have had a 2mb line.

It depends what area you are in and if that area has problems or not. I use to have NTL 6m and it was great, not one problem and always got full speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

edited to add - I'm with Smart at the mo (have been for the past 6 months) and I'm moving house..since Smart isn't available there, they want to charge me for the remaining 6 months of my contract (about €270)...is this right?

You agreed a 12 month contract and it's not Smart's fault that you are moving now. Try asking politely first, then ask if there is some arrangement/discount you can come to, if they're not letting you off with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Always been that way with smart :/

Cant change the account holder name either, something to do with the Eircom line/Smarts DSL interaction .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

craichoe wrote: »
    Always been that way with smart :/

Cant change the account holder name either, something to do with the Eircom line/Smarts DSL interaction .

In fairness to Smart - they do not hide the fact that you are entering into a contract for 12 months. It has been pointed out here before that there are set up costs invovled with each new customer and these are 'reclaimed' over the duration of the contract.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Does anyone know do Smart provide fibre to the home, and if so where?

Rorser wrote: »
    Does anyone know do Smart provide fibre to the home, and if so where?
    No.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No.

Yes they do, but only in estates where they have the monopoly. Connections are symmetric though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Here's where Smart do FTTH http://www.smarttelecom.ie/smartvision_order.html

The speeds are no longer symmetric - if you check out their support forum, there are numerous posts stating this.

Spear wrote: »
    Yes they do, but only in estates where they have the monopoly. Connections are symmetric though.
    But isn't that basically fibre to the curb though and not to the individual houses?

Advertisement