Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frontpage -v- Dreamweaver.....

Options
  • 28-05-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I promised myself that I would learn how to do a basic website using NVU last year.... (tragically, we had the worst year of our lives and it didn't happen).. so I want to 'achieve' one thing this year and do up a personal website!! (in the easiest way possible)

I have Frontpage already - but wonder would it be better for me to buy Dreamweaver instead as I've heard a lot of negativity about Frontpage....?

Thanks for all your advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

Dreamweaver is recommended over Frontpage. It is a much better program. Also, Frontpage has been discontinued by Microsoft.

But, why not open up Notepad and create your first site using html?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

For a proper website, Dreamweaver - no contest!

Frontpage is basically a Microsoft-only product that does things the Microsoft way.....it lets you do things that you shouldn't and results in a website that will (might) work in Internet Explorer but will look crap in FireFox, Safari or pretty much anything else.

In fact, I'd put NVU in between the two in the rankings.....if you don't have access to or can't afford Dreamweaver (cost is its biggest downfall after they integrated all the server technologies into a single package) why change what you'd already decided to use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Dreamweaver over Frontpage by a long shot.

However I would always code "by hand" using either Notepad++ or Dreamweaver on code view. I dont like using a WYSIWYG editor for xhtml/css, I just dont think it works out as well or you get the flexability you may want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Dreamweaver on code view... though I think you should just open notebook, look up some tutorials and go for it! It's really satisfying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Thank you all so much for your very quick replies.... very much appreciated.....

My concentration is non-existent lately so I thought Dreamweaver (txs for advice on Frontpage -I'll eliminate it from my thoughts!)... would be easier?.. and take less time?.. does dreamweaver look ok in internet explorer and firefox (i use firefox)..is it best to buy dreamweaver online direct?..

If I do go the "by hand" route .. which would be best - nvu or notepad?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You can download a free trial of dreamweaver from the adobe website (edit: says currently unavailable till July 1st).

Since its a personal website you could also take a look at Wordpress which would make it easier for you to put something together although you might not learn as much as you would by doing everything yourself.

Axwell wrote: »
    You can download a free trial of dreamweaver from the adobe website (edit: says currently unavailable till July 1st).

Since its a personal website you could also take a look at Wordpress which would make it easier for you to put something together although you might not learn as much as you would by doing everything yourself.

Thanks for that Axwell - I'll try the trial of dreamweaver first - I would not have thought of that .....I've never heard of Wordpress so i'll check that out too..

Would I make myself very lazy by using dreamweaver to do first site and then when its done.... learn the code behind it and learn that way - would that be more confusing?... I'm just trying to give myself a break!!!:o

Thanks so much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I dont think it would make you lazy, it would probably just make it easier for you because you can look at the design view and the code view so as you write the code you can see the result. You will still have to mess with the code and learn as you go to get things looking as you want anyways so it probably just removes some of the stress and considering you want a break then it would suit you :D

Wordpress is more a blogging tool but theres loads of templates and add-ons for it so it can be made to look a lot more impressive.

Im not sure on your knowledge of xhtml and css etc so you might find w3schools useful also when it comes to coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Dreamweaver!

Axwell wrote: »
    I dont think it would make you lazy, it would probably just make it easier for you because you can look at the design view and the code view so as you write the code you can see the result. You will still have to mess with the code and learn as you go to get things looking as you want anyways so it probably just removes some of the stress and considering you want a break then it would suit you :D

Wordpress is more a blogging tool but theres loads of templates and add-ons for it so it can be made to look a lot more impressive.

Im not sure on your knowledge of xhtml and css etc so you might find w3schools useful also when it comes to coding.

Fantastic.... I'm seriously considering the Dreamweaver route.... my knowledge of html/css is non-existent unfortunately so the link you gave me about coding will help very much..

Thanks again, you've pointed me in the right direction and made sense of what I need to be doing.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

justagirl - having seen all my college class a few years trying to learn web design through Dreamweaver, or any IDE, I would advise you not to do it.

Just use Notepad or Notepad++ and learn HTML & CSS by hand. Then once you know the fundamentals (they're not that hard) only then move on to Dreamweaver or similar.

For a nice introduction to HTML and CSS, I'd strongly recommend this book, which is a great for beginners from scratch. I know learning from books is a little out of fashion these days, but this is the business.
    http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfhtml/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

p wrote: »
    I know learning from books is a little out of fashion these days, but this is the business.

no i agree i think books are a great idea.. for some reason i find it nicer to have something on screen and a book beside me for reference.. as for the frontpage/dreamweaver debate.. dreamweaver is far and away the better tool for creating feature rich websites.. although it has a much steeper learning curve than frontpage..

but like the others said get stuck into notepad, a decent book, W3c schools and d/l the web developer toolbar for firefox(a must have for all web heads) links below..

http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/

http://www.w3schools.com/Css/default.asp

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

p wrote: »
    Just use Notepad or Notepad++ and learn HTML & CSS by hand. Then once you know the fundamentals (they're not that hard) only then move on to Dreamweaver or similar.

For a nice introduction to HTML and CSS, I'd strongly recommend this book, which is a great for beginners from scratch. I know learning from books is a little out of fashion these days, but this is the business.
    http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfhtml/

Thank you p .... I'm going to have a look at Notepad ..... and the book idea is a good one.... it would be good to have something beside me that I can refer to... Thank you very much, good advice.:)

Stab*City wrote: »
    but like the others said get stuck into notepad, a decent book, W3c schools and d/l the web developer toolbar for firefox(a must have for all web heads) links below..

http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/

http://www.w3schools.com/Css/default.asp

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60

This is great Stab*City.... i've downloaded the firefox addon after reading your message..... I'll look at those sites now... and you have all spurred me on to try out the notepad!! Thanks so much for your time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭peejay1986

If you get stuck then try Lynda.com for EXCELLENT video tutorials that quite literally cover anything you could need for Dreamweaver. That site has helped me sso much!

It costs to subscribe (not a lot) but my god is it worth it.

Best of luck with whatever you choose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Although I use DreamweaverCS3 myself, you should definitely not rule out the free Microsoft Visual Web Developer - Express Edition or download a free trial of Microsoft's Expression Web 2. Keep an open mind on what products you use ... as long as it's not Frontpage ;)

McGintyMcGoo

Advertisement