Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL filters

Options
  • 28-05-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have three quick queries on setting up our phone lines in our new build.

- we have CAT5e running back to patch panels and a further set of "daisy chained" CAT5e (put in by mistake!) which I should be able to make use of for phones (don't want to use them for networking as they have water tanks etc. sitting on them!). Rather than having separate ADSL filters on the ends of these lines can I replace the Eircom box with one of the splitter boxes often used for Phonewatch? We only had the line installed in November 2007 so I'm a little surprised we didn't get one of these anyway?

- the Eircom installers left me a few little round clips for joining two cables - you put in the unstripped wires and press the round pad with pliers. What are these called as I can't get them anywhere?

- does anyone know where I can get RJ11 crimp ends in less than quantities of 100?!?! I only really need 1 and a couple of spares as I'll use the middle two of the RJ45s I already have for the patch panel.

Thanks as ever
    SSE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Where bouts are you based (what area) do you have an rj 11/45 crimper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi all

I have three quick queries on setting up our phone lines in our new build.

- we have CAT5e running back to patch panels and a further set of "daisy chained" CAT5e (put in by mistake!) which I should be able to make use of for phones (don't want to use them for networking as they have water tanks etc. sitting on them!). Rather than having separate ADSL filters on the ends of these lines can I replace the Eircom box with one of the splitter boxes often used for Phonewatch? We only had the line installed in November 2007 so I'm a little surprised we didn't get one of these anyway?

- the Eircom installers left me a few little round clips for joining two cables - you put in the unstripped wires and press the round pad with pliers. What are these called as I can't get them anywhere?

- does anyone know where I can get RJ11 crimp ends in less than quantities of 100?!?! I only really need 1 and a couple of spares as I'll use the middle two of the RJ45s I already have for the patch panel.

Thanks as ever
    SSE

Question 1)you only need filters if you have broadband on that line. What you can do though is run one filter and then daisy chain off that one. Filters are about 20 euro incl vat

Question 2) these are called gel crimps. these can be supplied easily

Question 3) I can supply these if you mail your addy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hi both

Yes we've got broadband on the line so I've got one filter. I think the filter NTU would be a neater option (one less thing to have a dodgy connection) but I can't get one anywhere. Of course when you're not looking for something you see Eircom vans everywhere......!

FusionNet - sent you a PM. Thanks very much - just let me know how much I owe you or I'll put some money in Childline.

Thanks
    SSE

Advertisement