Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's Sasha playing these days?

• 28-05-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any links to recent sets? Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Gone very trancy ive heard, wouldn't be interested in shelling out good money to be honest unless he placed a classic Prog House set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Playing with mp3's on a laptop!!lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Yea for nearly 35 squid I think I'll be giving it a miss! (actually it would be more like 70 quid - I'd have to buy a ticket for whoever I was bringing as well!)

Encore Une Fois and Ecuador!
    ...ah come on, it's the oldest one in the book and I've never got to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

trance ****e me bollox i download every set that creeps up on the net and he aint playin no trance ****e.

he still throws together a set which journeys through a mixture of genres.

got my ticket yesterday, cant wait, only seen him about 4 or 5 times and every time is AMAZING.

last time he played here afaik was lovebox last summer!! he ROCKED.

opened with burma...need i say more?

copeyhagen wrote: »
    trance ****e me bollox i download every set that creeps up on the net and he aint playin no trance ****e.

he still throws together a set which journeys through a mixture of genres.

got my ticket yesterday, cant wait, only seen him about 4 or 5 times and every time is AMAZING.

last time he played here afaik was lovebox last summer!! he ROCKED.

opened with burma...need i say more?

Last time i heard a mix of his a few months ago it was quite trancy (not chessy Van Burrin/Tiesto,etc type trance) iv e seen him loads of times and he remains one opf my all time favs but im not prepared to pay €35 to see him when i wouldn't necessarily be into the music.

Saw him last year in the Savoy and didn't find it too trancey, but then again as I don't mind a bit of decent (non Tiesto) trance I might be biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

I'm sure he'll be mixing it up. Some elements of trance, some minimal, and the usual proggy stuff, but it should be a quality night. 35 nicker might be steep, but your getting one of the top DJ's in the world. You'd pay a score into clubs in Temple Bar to hear Destination Unknown and Basshunter. This gig is gonna be savage.

You'd pay a score into clubs in Temple Bar to hear Destination Unknown and Basshunter.

Wooohoooo.

That sounds great.

DestinNASHun unknown (everyone make like they're blowing a trumpet)
    Duh duh duh duh duh

Or

Now you're gone (everyone put on a Celtic shirt and punch the air)
    Da da da da da da da da

When's that on?
    ...;)

• Advertisement

Wooohoooo.

That sounds great.

DestinNASHun unknown (everyone make like they're blowing a trumpet)
    Duh duh duh duh duh

Or

Now you're gone (everyone put on a Celtic shirt and punch the air)
    Da da da da da da da da

When's that on?
    ...;)

Hey leave Celtic Fc out of this im a fan and certainly not into that euro pop nonsense :);)

jonny68 wrote: »
    Last time i heard a mix of his a few months ago it was quite trancy (not chessy Van Burrin/Tiesto,etc type trance) iv e seen him loads of times and he remains one opf my all time favs but im not prepared to pay €35 to see him when i wouldn't necessarily be into the music.

thats grand, i have my ticket so ill let ya know what its like. ya cheap ****!! :D35 euros is buttons to see possibly THE best dj in the world.

imho its between him and zabiela for the number 1 crown.

but dont get me started on zabiela the wanker cancelling again...

**edit wat mix was it of sasha you found cheesey, i probbaly have it at home**

€35 to see 1 DJ is absolutely scandalous IMO, rip off Ireland in full effect, i went to Sibin Festival for €30 and it was on all day and had loads of different acts,now that was good value for money....have a good one anyway.;)
    PS-I don't have any cheesy Sasha mixes i said NON cheesy trance i heard him play..and Carl Cox is still the undisputed king of DJ's and always has been.;)

jonny68 wrote: »
    Hey leave Celtic Fc out of this im a fan and certainly not into that euro pop nonsense :);)

That you in the background at Planetlove last year? :p

These are definitely Basshunter fans anyway

271500690a5521734732l.jpg

carl cox is fairly ****e these days to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Ive got a ticket to this. Its my first dj gig (as a punter) even though ive been to ****loads of concerts always planned on hitting a dance gig but it always fell through. The start of many more i hope. :p

carl cox is fairly ****e these days to be honest

you must be joking:eek: Coxy is still streets ahead of anyone else on the scene.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

wideangle wrote: »
    Playing with mp3's on a laptop!!lol
    If you are laughing at the fact that Dj's are exclusively digital, then you are quite behind the times my friend...

Sasha, Paul Van Dyke and Richie Hawtin are just a few of the big name DJ's now to retire their decks and go exclusively digital. I'm not a fan of the first two but they are all talented DJ's and they would not have done it if it did not give them a creative advantage at the least. Sasha even had his own controller custom made for Ableton, and Hawtin uses plain old Traktor and is still one of the best regarded DJ's around... Laptops are now totally commonplace in most big clubs and it will not be long before they become the norm...

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I have always had respect for Sasha... he is a real master of mixing and creates an amazing flow in his mixes with spot on programming and tune selection. I have never disliked any of his mixes, not always my cup of tea in more recent years in terms of the tunes maybe for the dance floor but for home listening etc they are amazing... Involver being a good example.

I reckon he deserves his general recognition as being one of the top DJ's of all time.

Carl Cox is of course a great DJ but in another way. I think Carl Cox has a great ability to set the place alight with absolute energy and is not afraid to play whatever tunes take his fancy, regardless of genre... sometimes though this meant the mix suffered (but he always got away with it)... he was never really a master of mixing IMO, but a master of working the crowd and playing the 'right tunes' without a doubt.

IMO :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

One of the first tunes I ever got on vinyl and still a belter. Not a huge Sasha fan anymore but that track is still one of my all time favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

says doors open at 11 tonight.... will be striaght on or will there a support dj?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭mcmc

MikeHoncho wrote: »

One of the first tunes I ever got on vinyl and still a belter. Not a huge Sasha fan anymore but that track is still one of my all time favourites.

Xpander, what a tune:)

there will be support from 515 presumably... hopefully robbie butler, love his sets.

i dunno why i was just never big into carl cox, and his recent essential mix was bland and had nothing imho.

the set from moby beforehand was fresh and unexpected, carl cox's was just ****e.

about 10 of us goin in tonight, cant wait, best dj to play tripod so far this year...

mcmc wrote: »
    Xpander, what a tune:)

xpander is a classic, im a bigger fan of belfunk or scorchio though

3 of my favourites are Heart of Imagination with BT (the B-Side to Be As One), Arkham Asylum / Ohmna and his remix of Eat Static - Gulf Breeze, all 3 of these are in my vinyl collection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

as much of a fan of him I am, I am ****ing less than impressed with his poxy laptop mixes, effortless sets and **** last tunes!!

anyone else here in the Tripod last night?

For one the rip off policy in place from early on was a bit sickening. No Heineken on draft, no Bud either, even though it is complete piss. Then the sound engineer complete rubbish for what I actually heard of the warm up set (I arrived around half 12ish). The bass was way too much. I was wondering whether they were going for the 12 year old learning to mix affect with the distorted sound for much of it.

Was really starting to think will I just leave when this continued, at least 15 mins into Sasha's set. The visuals really needed a lot to be desired and then not so long in, the 3 back screens were turned off, allowing us to see the lack of effort being practiced ever more clearly with people's shadows on them now from people on stage.....

and what the **** exactly was with (again) the bloody visuals, where as I felt I was at an under 18s with the venue being broadcast on two screens at the front.... It was an absolute disgrace and I believe the little patronising text graphically being displayed on the two screens, where it said, 'wait for it kiddies' summed it all up really.

The music was good though, I suppose there is things you can do on Ableton that you would never be able to do on a set of 1210s. He started off more progressive and built his set, I'd say, just ok. Bit of a joke he had left the decks for well over a minute at one point, dunno what doing exactly, I could understand if he was flicking through records or even cds ffs, but to see people cheering at an empty stage.....

Joke to say the least.

We tried to make the most of it anyway, after all, I had paid over €70 for two tickets. Very happy with minimal beer, cause it was piss anyway.

I was watching my clock at the end, to grab the jackets before the queue formed, cause tbph, the set wasn't grabbing me like Sven Vath's set had recently, interaction, ffs, boring **** at best standing up there, with a little bit of hand clapping towards the end, and, believe me, less than ten claps. I noticed the 'last tune' was played at 3:25am, and I though **** this like, had jackets and all and I knew he was gonna bang another.

I said **** it, stood near the exit to hear it, but what was played was rubbish. A fitting one perhaps to sum up what felt like a rip off night. I left halfway through it.

Should clubs 'make' djs 'play' music properly? Also, don't mean to sound a complete moan, but shouldn't consumer watchdogs be put in place for venues so that they can't get away with blatant rip off tactics? Like I am fairly sure such a venue would have had at least one can of Heineken in stock!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Sorry to hear ye had a **** night man but in fairness thats what ye get in places now. They say they have no beer on draught so you buy a small 330ml bottle for six euros. Theres nothing consumers wathdogs can do. Its up to them what the sell and you dont have to buy it at the end of the day. It sucks big time.

European weekends breaks all the way. 70 euro you paid, plus a few drinks and taxi fare home for a crap night. rather stay in for a week or too and go somewhere else than Ireland. Have a look here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055286470

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

Thought he was so so on Fri, a bit up and down. Last 30 mins was very good.

Some IDs on the tracks he played:

Chordian-Closed Eyes-Paul Kalkbrenner Mix
    John Digweed - Gridlock (Henry Saiz Mix
    Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch (Sasha Involv2er Edit) - Not relased yet great track though.
    Chordian - Chorizo (one of the best tracks of the night IMHO).

i had a great night thought he was amazin. still in a heap today.. was it worth it? ****in right it was!!!

second last tune was alter ego gary - c2 mix....wat a tune

• Advertisement

MikeHoncho wrote: »

heres the thing.as far as i can see,he really didnt write this.its credited to charlie may,who produced most of sashas tracks.
    so giving him all the credit seems a bit unfair.he was more a poster boy to carry the tune because of his popularity

http://www.discogs.com/release/335467
    never once saw the appeal of sasha to be honest.
    maybe its just a genre i dont get:D

Sasha played tripod friday, Lush saturday, then flew to ibiza to play the opening party in Space on Sunday, heres his opening set for space 2008.

Its a very similar playlist to what he played in tripod :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/119450155/Sasha_-Live___Space_Ibiza_-_01.06.08.mp3.html

June 01, 2008 - Space Opening Party, Ibiza Spain
    [00:00] 01 Silicone Soul - The Pact (Bassline Dub)
    [03:00] 02 Sasha - Who Killed Sparky? (ID Mix)
    [10:00] 03 ID
    [16:00] 04 ID
    [23:00] 05 ITO & Ran Shani - Aviation
    [29:00] 06 Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch (Sasha Involv2er Edit)
    [37:00] 07 John Digweed - Gridlock (Henry Saiz White Noise Rain Ceremony Mix)
    [43:00] 08 ID
    [48:00] 09 Guy J - Under Pressure (Error Error Remix)
    [54:00] 10 Butch - 1000 Lords (Zoo Brazil Remix)
    [60:00] 11 Martin Eyerer & Toni Rios - Chorizo (Paul Nazca Remix)
    [66:00] 12 ID
    [72:00] 13 Alter Ego - Gary (C2 Remix)
    [79:00] 14 M83 - Couleurs (Sasha Involv2er Edit)

everyone needs to download this set, so u get a feel for what es playin these days..

Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch (Sasha Involv2er Edit) - best tune i have heard in a long long time

wat a fukin tune, played that in tripod aswell, not sure if it was that mix, dont think it was.

who ever said sasha was sh1t the other night is a moron!!

wat a fukin tune, played that in tripod aswell, not sure if it was that mix, dont think it was.

hmmm....

what age are you?

If you like, you could save yourself a lot of money in the long run using ableton yourself, then see the kinda work actually gone in.

Maybe you will learn the difference between actual djing and pre arranged sets!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Sasha played tripod friday, Lush saturday, then flew to ibiza to play the opening party in Space on Sunday, heres his opening set for space 2008.

...that there is my dream job! What a life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I used to worship the ground Sasha walked on, now he's a fat, bald, overpayed mother****er!

I thought he was ****e at Tripod!

Normally, even if he plays a bad set theres one or two saving graces of tracks, not the case the other night!

I actually prefer the chilled Involver / Essential Mix 2005 sound he plays, pity he never plays it in a club since he "has to bang it out"

• Advertisement

his essential mix from 2005 that won em of the year was class i agree. but i wouldnt pay 37 quid to see a dj play all that relaxed ambient esque sh1te. now thats just me.

im old enough to have seen him playin vinyl a few years back and cds too, and of all the times i saw him, i think the sound he plays now is the best i have heard him play.

sasha started on vinyl and eventually progressed to ableton which isnt easy to use, i know a lot of his invol2er edits if not all are pre edited.

i have ableton amongst other software and found it a bit of a steep learning curve coming from traktor or vdj, and im too impatient to sit down with it.

it ends up being a matter of opinion, i thouught his set rocked, you thought otherwise...

im sure yous are of the minority of everyone that was there though.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Normally, even if he plays a bad set theres one or two saving graces of tracks, not the case the other night!

If by saving grace tunes your refering to the fact he usually throws out an edit of a classic, like burma, wavy gravy or one of them then yeh i was surprised he didnt throw one of them in,

everyone will have their own personal type of tune that "gets them goin" as it were!!

I bought Northern Exposure on vinyl when it came out, can honestly say it changed my life!

The Communicate CD with him and Digweed was pretty darn good as well.

Jay D wrote: »
    hmmm....

what age are you?

If you like, you could save yourself a lot of money in the long run using ableton yourself, then see the kinda work actually gone in.

Maybe you will learn the difference between actual djing and pre arranged sets!!
    hang on now.while i actually agree with you that hes ****e the ableton reference sounds like someone who doesnt have a clue what ableton is about would make.
    im 100% positive sasha didnt play a preplanned set.
    the only thing ableton eliminates is beatmatch,nothing else.
    ive tried playing out with ableton,didnt like it and went back to cds(which some people still believe do all the work for you)
    you really should read up on the subject before making ridiculous statements like that man:D

• Advertisement

seannash wrote: »
    hang on now.while i actually agree with you that hes ****e the ableton reference sounds like someone who doesnt have a clue what ableton is about would make.
    im 100% positive sasha didnt play a preplanned set.
    the only thing ableton eliminates is beatmatch,nothing else.
    ive tried playing out with ableton,didnt like it and went back to cds(which some people still believe do all the work for you)
    you really should read up on the subject before making ridiculous statements like that man:D

initially here are you saying I don't know what ableton is about or what? And still, not being smart but by saying eliminating do you mean it does or doesn't do it? Crazy choice of words imo! :pac:

I don't like to say it but yes maybe Sasha has gone ****ing ****e but I have so many sets of his which are amazing. Defo one compilation is the mix collection which I am the proud owner of, along with many other albums. Maybe he's better with Digweed :rolleyes:

I don't by any means see my statement as any way ridiculous and just fyi, I have a solid working knowledge of ableton...

and also Copeyhagen, like one guy said in the jacks to me last week - deadly isn't he? I replied, he is yeah but why the fu'ck is he playing off a laptop here tonight? One or two - is he!? As if their chingbongered faces didn't say it all.... I managed to have them make me believe they thought the same anyway after a brief conversation, so maybe a vast element was so out of it the couldn't tell any different, not to mention the element who haven't the foggiest about djing and just hear a big name and think - deadly.

I was looking forward to Sasha, even though I had gone just for him only in Malahide last year when again, he was on the laptop, although tune selection I will admit was a lot better than the tripod. So for you to initially insinuate that I am a moron for giving some facts on what actually happened on the night which I went to in the knowledge of his actual potential....

and for the record, what kind of person uses such a word :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Who's ableton? havent heard much of his stuff

initially here are you saying I don't know what ableton is about or what? And still, not being smart but by saying eliminating do you mean it does or doesn't do it? Crazy choice of words imo! :pac:

I don't like to say it but yes maybe Sasha has gone ****ing ****e but I have so many sets of his which are amazing. Defo one compilation is the mix collection which I am the proud owner of, along with many other albums. Maybe he's better with Digweed :rolleyes:

I don't by any means see my statement as any way ridiculous and just fyi, I have a solid working knowledge of ableton...

and also Copeyhagen, like one guy said in the jacks to me last week - deadly isn't he? I replied, he is yeah but why the fu'ck is he playing off a laptop here tonight? One or two - is he!? As if their chingbongered faces didn't say it all.... I managed to have them make me believe they thought the same anyway after a brief conversation, so maybe a vast element was so out of it the couldn't tell any different, not to mention the element who haven't the foggiest about djing and just hear a big name and think - deadly.

I was looking forward to Sasha, even though I had gone just for him only in Malahide last year when again, he was on the laptop, although tune selection I will admit was a lot better than the tripod. So for you to initially insinuate that I am a moron for giving some facts on what actually happened on the night which I went to in the knowledge of his actual potential....

so beatmatching is the only skill required to be a dj,cmon man.anyone playing a while can beatmatch in there sleep.
    ableton lets you remix on the fly and create effects that you cant get on any mixer.
    ill admit i dont really like ableton sets because most people dont use it to its full advantage.but i know sasha does.
    as for you r vast knowlege of ableton,like i said earlier if you know what it does and how people use it you wouldnt make a claim of people who use it are playing preplanned sets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

So Sasha uses Ableton, big deal. A lot of DJ's are using this nowadays. It's a matter of choice for the DJ's how they play their sets, and its their reputation that's there to be shot down for doing it.
    His set might not have been to your liking the other night, but I thought it was savage. A lot of people there seemed to be enjoying it too (whether they were monged out or not)

moron is makin a huge comeback!!

yeh i seen him in malahide park, first tune burma, was a great set.

still think the set from saturday was better.

why was he using a laptop? maybe cuz he has ONLY uses a laptop for every set (afaik) since switchin to ableton in 2005..thats why

o yeh, you chatted to some geezer that was off his tits and managed to convince him something..congrats, im sure that was difficult

seannash wrote: »
    so beatmatching is the only skill required to be a dj,cmon man.anyone playing a while can beatmatch in there sleep.
    ableton lets you remix on the fly and create effects that you cant get on any mixer.
    ill admit i dont really like ableton sets because most people dont use it to its full advantage.but i know sasha does.
    as for you r vast knowlege of ableton,like i said earlier if you know what it does and how people use it you wouldnt make a claim of people who use it are playing preplanned sets

and when did I say that it was only to do with beat matching?

as for Sasha using it to it's full potential, with unpredictable dragged out breakdowns.....

moron is makin a huge comeback!!

yeh i seen him in malahide park, first tune burma, was a great set.

still think the set from saturday was better.

why was he using a laptop? maybe cuz he has ONLY uses a laptop for every set (afaik) since switchin to ableton in 2005..thats why

o yeh, you chatted to some geezer that was off his tits and managed to convince him something..congrats, im sure that was difficult

the geezer was not off his tits but others were nearby :rolleyes:

including myself

and when did I say that it was only to do with beat matching?

as for Sasha using it to it's full potential, with unpredictable dragged out breakdowns.....
    well that was the first point you honed in on so i answered.
    im begining to see that its a bit pointless discussing this with you.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭mcmc

The set from tripod is up.

http://sharebase.de/files/y8tHjqz6cr.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement