Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this 60K a year?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

electric69 wrote: »
    there is a huge demand for pilots offshore and they have an excellent chance of getting a job with only 200 hours.

Seriously? Can anyone else confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

As per another post. Yes...around 30K but without an instrument rating which you would need for alot of jobs. (I think). Is the IR just for flying at night?

Seriously though guys if you got yourself into a position of earning 60K a year that's great money and i'd imagine the cost of living somewhere like T&T would be tiny compared to rip off Ireland.

no, you need the IR (instrument rating) to fly in instrument meteorogical conditions (IMC), all jobs such as offshore,search and rescue,etc require that you have an IR. and you dont need an IR to fly at night.
    The starting off wage for flying off shore in Aberdeen is approx 48k sterling basic (64k euro).and it only goes higher and higher. lots of opportunities to earn extra cash if u have a parttime job for your days off.

And about the 200 hours yes thats a fact. i personally know a guy who had less than 200 hours when he started flying off shore with Bristow in Aberdeen last year, and that is not uncommon with the way things are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So were you doing it rather for the Airline Pilot job than the love of flying? I would imagine the love of aviation should come first, and the ambition to be an airline pilot second...?

I love flying and have always loved aircraft, but I realised i did not want to be airline pilot but that does not mean I would not like to be comerical pilot of different sort. I have flown all sorts of things. I started in fixed wing then did gliders, some ballooning, tried hanggliders and paragliders (which is one of the cooloest ways of flying) and then after ppl did floats and helis.

If I was to be commerical pilot I would ideally like to work in Canada and then try to eventuially get a job with guys doing the firefighting work.
    It is hard to get into requiring lots and lots of experience, but damm what other job, apart from military, allows you to do bombing runs.
    One guy I know spends Canada springs/summers working as air tanker pilot trying to stop forest fires and then spends the winters flying honeymooners on floats down in Sychelles.
    Now that is a real flying career.

As electric69 says people should try it out first and see if they really like it.
    Then do the ppl and after that see if you want to continue and if your circumstances allow it.
    When he says offshore he might mean the Gulf rather than the North Sea ?

Electric69 are you based at HAI by any chance ?

I am not allowed discuss …

electric69 wrote: »
    The starting off wage for flying off shore in Aberdeen is approx 48k sterling basic (64k euro).and it only goes higher and higher. lots of opportunities to earn extra cash if u have a parttime job for your days off.

And about the 200 hours yes thats a fact. i personally know a guy who had less than 200 hours when he started flying off shore with Bristow in Aberdeen last year, and that is not uncommon with the way things are at the moment.

If this is the case I wonder why so many people over on pprune say that flying helicopters is poorly paid.
    I'm sure it is some places but they seem to be ignoring the facts that it's not always the case.

Lucky guy that got into Aberdeen. I'd imagine there can't be all that many openings and competition would be high??
    What kind of heli is he flying? Did he graduate from bristow academy? By the way I wonder how what's going to happen to all the heli jobs given the situation with oil at the moment.

Salary is from 32K euro + here. http://www.bristowgroup.com/careers/helicopter_pilot.pdf
    That's not great. (You wouldn't starve either though - cost of living would be much much cheaper there too)
    Are they just looking for someone with low hours or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

The offshore i am refering to is the North sea. You dont need as many hours when you have a JAA licence from Bristow as the level of training is recognised as being of a very high standard. If you want to fly in the gulf, you do need 1000 hours, but then u dont have to worry about spending 28k sterling on an IR rating. I dont think its fair to compare the pay from the gulf with pay on the North sea.You have to take into consideration the cost of living in the states compared to Ireland and the Uk.So really the pay scale that you posted in the link is pretty nice to be starting at considering its taken you less than 1 year to get all your licences and jump straight into a job. I certainly dont know of any other professions that allow you to earn that much money annually after only 1 year of training?

They are looking for about 70 pilots in Bristow alone in Aberdeen (that was the accurate figure in April) and the demand for pilots certainly isnt going to decrease. The guy with the <200 hours was a Bristow graduate and i know that there have been another 3guys who also got jobs there last month with <200 hours, all Bristow graduates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Electric, you say you don't need an IR to fly at night, can you elaborate on that? Surely darkness is IMC?

As for the poster that reckoned six months water bombing and six months in the Carrib. was a good life... try it with a house, wife & family.

AIDS... Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There are many jobs with are poorly paid with poor conditions until you've a good many years under your belt. I don't see why aviation is any different. Why not be poorly paid in a job you like then a job you don't like. Being a pilot has more potential in the long run to leave you better off. Ok fair enough its a particular lifestyle, but you either like that or you don't. So are many jobs that are not 9-5. As someone with a good few commercial pilots as friends I think they complain a lot about very little, they'd have more to complain about in a 9-5 job. I know a couple of them who have looked at leaving because they thought they'd be better off out of aviation. After a few interviews I think they've realised how good they have it.

Thats not to say its a not gamble starting out. You could end up spending a large fortune only to wash out, fail a medical, or never get a command or a Airline job. But there's risk in doing anything. Not that flying for an airline is the be all of everything. But that's what this thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Oilrig wrote: »
    Electric, you say you don't need an IR to fly at night, can you elaborate on that? Surely darkness is IMC?

As for the poster that reckoned six months water bombing and six months in the Carrib. was a good life... try it with a house, wife & family.

AIDS... Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome. :(

You could fly at night over build up areas (as a lot of pilots with basic night rating on ppl do over the major cities). The problem arises when they fly out over countryside or over sea.

BTW the Seychelles are not in the Carribean, they are in the Indian Ocean.
    His marriage was over and his kids were grown up.
    Next time I talk to him i will ask him if it was AIDS :)

Did I ever say that life would be suitable for married guy with kids ? NO

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

Interesting thread.

Its over a year ago now since you started this thread, so did you go for it workaccount?

rav1410 wrote: »
    Interesting thread.

Its over a year ago now since you started this thread, so did you go for it workaccount?

afraid this thread is only a few weeks old. About 3 or 4 weeks only. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭rav1410

afraid this thread is only a few weeks old. About 3 or 4 weeks only. :)

:o:o

Im sorry I dont know what I was looking at when I posted that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

So does anybody have any idea what Irish airlines generally offer for 1st officers & captains? Just curious ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com

There are salary scales for all the Irish Airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Sizzler wrote: »
    So does anybody have any idea what Irish airlines generally offer for 1st officers & captains? Just curious ;)

Look in the back of Flight International. As far as i remember Ryanair were looking for pilots and were offering €100k plus. That's more like it. (experience required obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Don't get carried away with that idea Kol. While there are Captains who earn 100k. Not everyone does and there is pressure on those salaries. Plus many pilots are on 'Brookfield' contracts where they are paid by the hour. They are in effect self employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 skybus

I believe the starting sarlary for a new pilot year 1 in Aer Lingus is a basic of just over 60k. With sector pay, performance pay and pension contributions it would bring your renumeration up to 90k+ in your first year. The figures given on the website ppjn.com are accurate.

Top end for captains, i.e in the company 25 years is a basic of nearly 210k. Pension contributions and sector, performance pay give a normal line captain a renumeration of over around 292k per annum.

Obvioulsy if you are involved in training etc this is higher.

From a salary perspective they are still one of the best paying airlines in Europe. Whether it will last or not is a different matter. The opening of a new base in Belfast was the first attack on these salaries. The benefits and pay are not the same as those based in Dublin or Cork. With the opening of new bases in the future you will not see these types of salaries being paid to new joiners.

Aviation is changing. For people getting into training, the costs are now higher. The days when some were fortunate to have their training sponsored by an airline are well and truly gone. People joining many airlines now have to pay for type rating costs. Salaries are being driven down. It takes a lot of personal investment to get yourself a decent paid job and to put it in perspective Aer Lingus have only recruited just over 100 pilots in the past 10 years. I have no doubt that the number of jobs versus the number of applicants for example in British Airways would be in the region of maybe 60 -1.

At the present time I think people would be mad to start training. There will be a collapse of some airlines over the next couple of years and what that will bring is a surplus of qualified experienced pilots onto the market. From a training point of view these will be snapped up by the remaining airlines as it will immediately reduce their annual training budget. It leaves the newly qualified person by the wayside.

However aviation like every other business has it's ups and downs. It will come good again, it's said that it's usually in 7 years cycles. It will get worse before it gets better.

What other jobs would pay on a similar scale?

cp251 wrote: »
    Don't get carried away with that idea Kol. While there are Captains who earn 100k. Not everyone does and there is pressure on those salaries. Plus many pilots are on 'Brookfield' contracts where they are paid by the hour. They are in effect self employed.

Carried away? :confused: I am just said that they were advertising for experienced captains and first officers for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

BostonB wrote: »
    What other jobs would pay on a similar scale?

Accountancy / Sales / Legal Profession / Vet / Medicine / Stockbroking.

Sizzler wrote: »
    Accountancy / Sales / Legal Profession / Vet / Medicine / Stockbroking.

I was thinking it was starting salary for first officers starting out.

• Advertisement

cp251 wrote: »

Forgot to ask earlier...are you a commercial pilot? Just curious.

Advertisement