Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 (fanboys steer clear)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Well unless you're planning to buy and earlier one, why would it matter?
    If you're buying an Elite the earlier versions reliability doesn't factor into it, only the reliability of the model type you're buying.

i think the long history of RROD matters tbh. it still happens on these new falcon 360's not as much granted but it's not like it might not happen again.

i'd love to buy an xbox but this is a number of factors mentioned here are putting me off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

To be truthful, it seems the release schedule of the 360 is starting to thin out, with less and less format exclusives, PSN has some nice downloads and the blu-ray is certainly a nice addition.
    I have both and while I love my 360 and it has provided many hours of entertainment over the last couple of years since I bought it at launch, the only game I've been playing on it is GTAIV, and I only bought it for that format for the DLC, the PS3 has, otherwise, been occupying my time, with Drakes Fortune, Motorstorm, GT5Prologue and others.

Whilst the back catalogue of existing games is great for the 360 it has to be seen that the PS3 is the system most likely to get the support of devs into the future, with the likes of MGS4 imminent.

So if you already have a 360, good luck to you, but if you have yet to buy into the nextgen, I'd probably now recommend a PS3.

Also most of the complaints about the Sixaxis are negated by the wonderfully balanced DualShock3, a nice controller indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Personally I steer clear of the 360 cos it's noisy as fvck.

Yeah, thats what I look for in my console too. How quiet it is. Sometimes I don't even turn it on. I just sit in front of it and put the pro ev disc sitting on top. :rolleyes:

Personally my favourite is the 360 but thats only because the main franchises I'm interested in available on it (Halo, Elder Scrolls, Anything by Bioware, Half Life) and I love FPS's and online gaming.

I do have a huge problem with the reliability though. I've had to send off my 360 twice and I'm currently awaiting its return. I'm pissed off. It broke down the day after I got it back. Ideally I'd boycott the product, however, I LOVE gaming. And the games I love are on the 360. I love playing online with my mates too who all have 360s. If I sell my xbox and buy a ps3 I'll feel like I'm missing out on what I really want...

How the hell am I supposed to make my voice heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Yeah, thats what I look for in my console too. How quiet it is. Sometimes I don't even turn it on. I just sit in front of it and put the pro ev disc sitting on top. :rolleyes:

Noise is a major issue for me. If I want to watch a tense movie or play a game with a lot of atmosphere, sound is integral to the experience. If there is a monotonous drone coming from the console, its pretty hard to ignore!
    Personally my favourite is the 360 but thats only because the main franchises I'm interested in available on it (Halo, Elder Scrolls, Anything by Bioware, Half Life) and I love FPS's and online gaming.

Halo and Mass Effect are currently the only 360 exclusives I'm interested in. Though Ninja Gaiden 2 is peaking my interest too. As for online, I have said it before, I personally have yet to find any major issues with the PSN.
    I do have a huge problem with the reliability though. I've had to send off my 360 twice and I'm currently awaiting its return. I'm pissed off. It broke down the day after I got it back. Ideally I'd boycott the product, however, I LOVE gaming. And the games I love are on the 360. I love playing online with my mates too who all have 360s. If I sell my xbox and buy a ps3 I'll feel like I'm missing out on what I really want...

I certainly wouldn't sell a 360 to get a PS3. Most of the best titles, COD4, Oblivion, GTA4 are cross platform anyway, with no discernable differences between them. However, I would suggest maybe picking up a second hand PS3 if you can afford it. There are some stellar exclusives that you may be missing out on.

I know, I know. The 360 is loud :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

* Reliability - PS3
    * Games catalogue - 360
    * Online capabilites - 360
    * Media support - Close both support avi. etc but PS3 wins because of blu-ray
    * Price - 360
    * Noise - PS3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Pft, you all need to grow up and buy a pc. :p

Otacon wrote: »

I know, I know. The 360 is loud :pac:

<insert slow, begrudgingly respectful clap here>

Still, I have to say I'm genuinely surprised by how many people are bothered by the noise produced by the 360. I can honestly say I've never once noticed it while playing a game or watching a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

<insert slow, begrudgingly respectful clap here>

Still, I have to say I'm genuinely surprised by how many people are bothered by the noise produced by the 360. I can honestly say I've never once noticed it while playing a game or watching a film.

As I said though, it only really ever annoyed me when watching, like, a horror movie or playing through a quiet, tense moment in Halo 3. I would find myself having to play the game a lot louder than normal to combat the noise, which sort of ruined the atmosphere.

I'm sure it'll be taken care of in later versions, but the first day adopters must feel 'jipped' by this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Kiith wrote: »

well, that's gone and done it.....

Kiith wrote: »

What's a pc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jip wrote: »
    In a room where everyone tiptoes and whispers maybe, in a regular household with normal volume on the t.v. it's not noticable.

That is the most outrageous crock of **** I have ever heard...

It's outrageously noisy...it's a complete pain in the ass how noisy it is...to say it's not noticeable if the tv volume is on normal is not only a lie...but it's totally stupid too. not noticeable? Are you deaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

cheesedude wrote: »
    That is the most outrageous crock of **** I have ever heard...

It's outrageously noisy...it's a complete pain in the ass how noisy it is...to say it's not noticeable if the tv volume is on normal is not only a lie...but it's totally stupid too. not noticeable? Are you deaf?

thats a bit much isnt it?

it isnt that noisy ffs, it is a noticeable noise but no louder than my kettle boiling tbh. a TV at even a low enough volume will mask the xbox noise

my favs about the 360 are, amongst others

XBLA games... still love playing street fighter and bomberman

I prefer the 360 controller

Streaming avi's/music to the XBOX is the biz

XBox Live triples the amount of hours you get out of some games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

a TV at even a low enough volume will mask the xbox noise

That, from my experience, is simply not true. (though it depends on your definition of "low enough volume")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Conar

I have a 360 for over 2 years and have never had any failures so reliability wise I have been happy.
    Live is very good and worth the money IMO.

With regards to the noise...it is brutal!
    Its about as loud as a hair drier on low setting. If you're watching anything other than an action flick you will hear it during every pause in speech etc. For that reason I never use it for anything but the gaming.
    Its not loud enough to hear from another room, but it definitely is loud enough that you need to have the volume on your telly up higher than normal to drown it out.
    If anyone honestly has a 360 that isn't noisy then can we please swap???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

thats a bit much isnt it?

it isnt that noisy ffs, it is a noticeable noise but no louder than my kettle boiling tbh. a TV at even a low enough volume will mask the xbox noise

As I have said in other threads, I am on my 3rd 360 due to the unbelieveable racket the console makes, I play late at night whilst the rest of the household sleeps and I have to turn the TV up from its nighttime normal to hear the dialog over the cooling fans of the 360, those that bought later editions may wonder what the big deal is, but trust me, it sounds like a hairdrier.
    Now, during DVD playback is different, it is a more pleasant beast to live with then.

And as said before, the PS3, while letting you know it's there, is a lot quieter, impressive given the integral PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

It's understandible that xbox live is so much better than psn, Microsoft being the biggest software developer in the world and sony being an electronics company
    Also understandible the ps3 being a much more impressive machine with sony being one of the worlds biggest electronics companies and Microsft being a software developer :)

MooseJam wrote: »
    It's understandible that xbox live is so much better than psn, Microsoft being the biggest software developer in the world and sony being an electronics company
    Also understandible the ps3 being a much more impressive machine with sony being one of the worlds biggest electronics companies and Microsft being a software developer :)

ugh

this thread should have been locked at page 1 like the OP requested.

They're both completely different machines, both with their respective advantages and disadvantages. Pick one that suits you best

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ugh

this thread should have been locked at page 1 like the OP requested.

They're both completely different machines, both with their respective advantages and disadvantages. Pick one that suits you best

agreed, I've got all the information I needed, plenty of good stuff.
    MooseJam wrote:
    Also understandible the ps3 being a much more impressive machine with sony being one of the worlds biggest electronics companies and Microsft being a software developer

pretty mis-informed stuff there, thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Reliability - PS3
    Games catalogue - 360
    Online capabilites - 360
    Media support (blu-ray, AVIs, DIVX etc) -PS3
    Price -360
    Noise -PS3

quarryman wrote: »
    agreed, I've got all the information I needed, plenty of good stuff.

btw, have you decided which one your gonna go for yet man?

be sure to keep us updated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

* Reliability - PS3 by a mile, BUT there are reports coming out now that a large amount of 60gb machines are dying at the moment. and sony are charging €250 to fix it
    * Games catalogue - 360 definitely, mainly coz theres more out there due to it being out longer
    * Online capabilites - 360 again. anything release on the ps3 generally takes 2-4 weeks before it actually works properly online, and even then the online system is a bit of a mess. but its free
    * Media support (blu-ray, AVIs, DIVX etc) - PS3, easily. however, if youre thinking about buying a PS3 to watch bluray, ask yourself are you willing to pay €40 per movie? bluray is about 3-5 years away from being mainstream, and the price of discs will reflect that. in my opinion, its not worth buying a bluray player now. it is worth buying a PS3 tho
    * Price - 360 is cheaper, but with the PS3 you can have a degree of confidence that it wont die, so im going to say 40gb PS3 for this one
    * Noise - PS3, the 360 sounds like a hoover inside a harrier jump jet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

btw, have you decided which one your gonna go for yet man?

be sure to keep us updated!

quarryman wrote:
    I own a 360 but with Blu-ray/HD-DVD battle over I've been considering a PS3.

I'm gonna stick with the 360 I have, I'd get peanuts selling it second-hand and the PS3 just seems to expensive for Blu-Ray, which is the main reason I'd go for it. People don't seem to bowled over with BR so I'll give it a miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I PREFER the 360 cos it has a wider range of games ,good online service ,plays xbox 1 games .I dont notice the noise cos i play games like gears of war,splinter cell ,fps/s and if you want online play the ps3 is a disaster.And its constantly being improved by net updates,its basically a custom designed 3core pc designed for gameplay on large screen tv s,and the games still look great on a SDTV .MOST ps3 /360 games look very similar.
    THE only game i miss is MGS4.I,M not interested in blue ray dvd, so i see no point in getting a ps3 4dvd playback.
    The ps3 at present does not have full ps2 compatibility .

Advertisement