Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin nuvi 255w

• 28-05-2008 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone has tried the new Garmin Nuvi 255w one yet?
    Its just becoming available in Europe but a few Irish market sites have it now.
    Is there any advantage in getting the 255wt in Ireland?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No advantage whatsoever, the product you get will be the same regardless of who you buy it from in Europe so price and post sales support is the only differentiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Thanks very much for the reply.

Actually what I meant was.... is there any advantage in paying extra to get a unit with Traffic Alerts, i.e. the 255wt rather than the 255w?

From what I can gather on other threads, that traffic functionality just doesn't exist in RoI yet, not even in Dublin and isn't likely soon.

Is that function working in the North?

If you use it overseas such as the France, Italy or Germany, does the traffic alert function on the unit give you details of traffic alerts on the screen in English? If not, how does it work?

I understand that the 255wt comes with a lifetime subscription to e.g. Trafficmaster in the UK or ViaMichelin in France but my French isn't that hot!

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As I understand it the data comes via an FM signal and the unit automatically routes you based on blockages etc notified to it so language is not an issue.

There appears to be no plan to roll out the service anywhere in the 32 counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

The 255w is on offer on komplett. With this unit is it possible to record routes you have taken. I'd lik a unit I could use in the car, and also for tracking where I have cycled and so on. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I got this unit from Komplett last week (the 255w, the 255wt isn't out till July).

It's good, satellite acquisition is quick but I'm used to using a Chicago (Route 66) and Route 66 on a PDA so it's taking a while to get used to the new interface.

I can't seem to find how to plan a route, i.e. how to investigate a route starting from A going to B while you are located somewhere else (I want to see a route in France before we leave on holidays but I have to input the route starting from my current location rather than just from Cherbourg to La Rochelle). Not really a problem though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

Patrickof wrote: »
    I got this unit from Komplett last week (the 255w, the 255wt isn't out till July).

I can't seem to find how to plan a route, i.e. how to investigate a route starting from A going to B while you are located somewhere else (I want to see a route in France before we leave on holidays but I have to input the route starting from my current location rather than just from Cherbourg to La Rochelle). Not really a problem though.

I don't have my unit in front of me, but if you go to the various set up screens and selct the "GPS simulator" on you can do route planning. Enter your starting location and when that is shown on the map, there will be an icon on the bottom right that says "set lo" Take this option. This effectively disables the GPS and you can then select your ultimate destination. If you play around with the unit you will figure it out. If you then tap the top of the screen it will give the detailed instructions, if you then tap to go back to the Map it will give the overhead view of the entire journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭dermiestv

Unfortunately my new 255w arrived DOA from Dabs4work.ie. Was picked up this morning by the courier.

Advertisement