Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband in lucan

Options
  • 28-05-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a broadband provider in lucan. No phone line so that limits it a lot. I currently have NTL. Good price but big problems with them. I've complained so much to them that they eventually have told me to cancel my suscription. The reason for no phone line is purely cost of line rental. Im using voip at the moment. Any answers greatly appreciated as I have to get this sorted asap.
    Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chuckin007

anybody? Someone must have broadband from another supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Well since nobody else has replied, I'm in Lucan but I have BB from Eircom, one or two of the neighbours are on Digiweb http://www2.digiweb.ie/. I also see quite a few Irish Broadband http://www.irishbroadband.ie/ antennas around, but I have no idea how they perform.

Check here to see who else provides service in Lucan:
    http://mapviewer.broadband.gov.ie/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx

My son is also in Lucan and has NTL and finds them fine for BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aimcg

I have Digiweb in for the past 16 months (in Rochfort estate) with no problems. Metro package gives broadband + phone line from antenna on the roof. Works fine in all weather conditions and fast downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

The lucan exchange is covered by Smart Telecom. I would also look into getting ntl broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

There are two exchanges in Lucan, one is in Lucan village beside the NHS Clinic and covers the older part of Lucan and is not covered by Smart ( the one I'm on unfortunately). The other newer, and much larger exchange is in Lucan Ballydowd and is covered by Smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

mind me asking what issues you have had with NTL Broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 42 chuckin007

Yea. Im in hillcrest in lucan with a 2mb line and use voip with Blueface for telephone so overall phone and broadband is pretty cheap compared to anything which uses a landline.
    In march my problems started. ie stopped working. I called ntl and after about 4 conversations they sent someone out to have a look. This excuse for a tech decided it would be better to start looking through stuff on my pc rather than doing his job. I wasnt around to keep an eye on him but this is my wifes story. Then he says cant fix it and you'll have to get settings number from ntl help desk to reset up pc. which is total crap.
    2nd tech about a week later comes out to look at problem. decides its better to change the ntl tv wall interface box which was fine but isnt going to fix my broadband.
    3rd tech out a month later - still no broadband - says other guys are idiots. and gets broadband working in about 30 mins- some switch hub up the road which just needed to be reset.- broadband was working again but very slow.
    4th visit- tech says cables need to be redone through the house.
    2 months- about 50 calls later Im talking to supervisor - apparently its not urgent unless your wothout service for at least 2 months. He gives us another mb for all the hastle. thats ok but its still slower than the 2mb which we had for years before.
    I call to see whats the story about the lcables being changed and get call back telling us that they cant guarentee the service anymore and recommend we change providers.
    I call comreg.
    the next day they call to tell me there has been a mix up and they are able to provide the service.
    I give up. Still slow service but I can live with it until I change provider. Lines never changed.
    And thats the problems I have with NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

chuckin007 wrote: »
    Yea. Im in hillcrest in lucan with a 2mb line and use voip with Blueface for telephone so overall phone and broadband is pretty cheap compared to anything which uses a landline.
    In march my problems started. ie stopped working. I called ntl and after about 4 conversations they sent someone out to have a look. This excuse for a tech decided it would be better to start looking through stuff on my pc rather than doing his job. I wasnt around to keep an eye on him but this is my wifes story. Then he says cant fix it and you'll have to get settings number from ntl help desk to reset up pc. which is total crap.
    2nd tech about a week later comes out to look at problem. decides its better to change the ntl tv wall interface box which was fine but isnt going to fix my broadband.
    3rd tech out a month later - still no broadband - says other guys are idiots. and gets broadband working in about 30 mins- some switch hub up the road which just needed to be reset.- broadband was working again but very slow.
    4th visit- tech says cables need to be redone through the house.
    2 months- about 50 calls later Im talking to supervisor - apparently its not urgent unless your wothout service for at least 2 months. He gives us another mb for all the hastle. thats ok but its still slower than the 2mb which we had for years before.
    I call to see whats the story about the lcables being changed and get call back telling us that they cant guarentee the service anymore and recommend we change providers.
    I call comreg.
    the next day they call to tell me there has been a mix up and they are able to provide the service.
    I give up. Still slow service but I can live with it until I change provider. Lines never changed.
    And thats the problems I have with NTL.

I had similiar issues with NTL in the house I'm renting now. The line attenuation was too high all of the time and would constantly drop the bitstream and start cycling through other frequencies to try and get a lock.

We had numerous phone calls and about 4 'techs' out to the house who's excuse the entire time was 'this is a modem problem, i'm a line engineer' and they'd **** off. Then I'd get bounced from Mary to John to Billy as they all told me that I wasn't the right person to talk to or they were checking notes or general BS. NTL CS is ****e... pure quite simply the worst company that I have ever had to deal with over the phone.

We knew what the problem was too, the modem that they had given us had known issues of overheating causing it to loose the bitstream... all we wanted was a replacement modem (the newer models are much more reliable) and it took over a period of 6 months for... nothing to be done about it.

We eventually told them to shove it, ordered a phone line and are now on a much more reliable Smart connection. Hasn't gone down since we've had it installed.

Advertisement