Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another webdev pet hate - ads

Options
  • 28-05-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭

There's a stupid online ad at the moment that makes our developers look bad. Erm, worse...

In the space of 100x40 pixels, it not only has bad grammar (url's used) but deprecated code (bgcolor).

http://m.uk.2mdn.net/viewad/1730889/250x250_failover.jpg

I'm really just ranting I guess, because ad code is one of the primary reasons our site fails xhtml validation (<SCRIPT language="Javascript", unterminated and un-alt-ed image tags, document.writes all over the place etc etc)

At least at home I can block ads using hosts, but I have to see them in work.

However, I always add specific code (classnames and div ids) that those in the know can use with adblocker or other filtering software to remove them if they so desire ;)

It is what it's.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

100x40? Its 250 squared!

Anyhow, can you not change the JavaScript code so that it passes validation?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Advertising code is often injected via a third party system. Would be more hassle than it's worth to intercept on the fly before DOM injection.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

True but at least the <SCRIPT language="Javascript" could be handled (assuming its being passed through JavaScript)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

kbannon wrote: »
    100x40? Its 250 squared!

Anyhow, can you not change the JavaScript code so that it passes validation?
    100x40 is the 'breakout' part of that image ;)

It is what it's.

Advertisement