Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Kilkenny

Options
  • 28-05-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

I think I was reading something last night about the free parking in the city is gone in like 3 weeks...? Anyone else read this/able to give better details on it?

Is it all the parking everywhere or whats the reasoning behind it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Well I cant see it going in 3 weeks. There's no alternatives provided. Its got a lot to do with residents complaining about people parking in estates close to town, and then leaving their cars there all day. I used to live in Larchfield and our driveway would be blocked on saturdays by people parking to go into town. Its a huge problem along Nuncio road and St. Fiacre's place on a daily basis, so I do see it as an improvement in that respect.

However where are the extra spaces going to be provided? St. Mary's is always full as is the cinema car park, and the rates in the Market cross and ormonde would be very expensive if leaving the car there all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I can't see them providing new spaces anywhere. They'll just make the car parks that have been free for decades paid-for overnight :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Where is free anymore, other than the one behind the Kilford?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The one behind the Kilford is always full.

Is the car park at the library on Johns Quay still free?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Not for long. That's one of the ones they're going to make pay & display.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Thats ridiculous!
    Parking in Kilkenny is atrocious - surely if they can dig up land for millions of apartments and houses they can provide some parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scatty

all the free carparks in kilkenny city (Johns quay ,Greenwood furniture and as far as i know the one on Goal road ) are going to be pay and display plus all roads surrounding town will be residents parking only with a few pay and display spaces ,householders in these streets will have to buy a yearly residents parking permit they can also purchase a book of visitors passes .to oversee all theses change the borough /council are employing more parking wardens so at least its creating more employment :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    all these changes are been phased in over the coming months with the aim to have them all implemented by the end of this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ECOLOGICAL

All streets and housing estates in Kilkenny will have paid parking it looks like .I live on one of these streets and parking outside somebodies door all day long is height of ignorance in my opinion .But that will all stop by this time next year when paid parking comes into Kilkenny and residents parking only.Before someone comes back and says usual crap "You don't own the street" well look at it this way would you park your car in Newpark Close all day long ? no you wouldn't because it would be burnt out before day ends why then should you park all day long outside someone else's house in city ?
    The people of Kilkenny need to get out of this mentality freebies freebies freebies and get off their selfish greedy whingy butts and complain to City Hall and Corporation about paid parking charges and look for proper daily workers parking .I know of one particular traffic and parking proposal in city which involves two groups of people complaining to Corporation ,one group been residents and other group workers and rather than propose solution which involves setting aside parking for workers ,opposition was thrown at residents and residents will be providing parking to workers and rest of town .I think people in Kilkenny and at large in Ireland have lost their focus on whats needed to survive in modern world.Local authorities and local politicians may start getting off their butt and fight for local social and economic issues rather than running pubs and seeing how many property deals they can get their greedy mits into .The time of reckoning has arrived ,everyone in Kilkenny needs to pull together and give up going around like gossip and JR wannabes seeing how can we get one up on Mr and Mrs Bloggs down street or in country .One thing is for sure if local planning authorities think for one minute they are getting away with their measures they are sadly mistaken ,Europe decides on many local issues and will become a major part in planning process so fat cats and kittens in John street and City hall your days are numbered there are tigers in Europe waiting to pounce in coming years .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 stillhere08

anyone else think a park and ride would be a good idea? Combined with some form of public transport for the city

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Park and ride with better public transport,

ECOLOGICAL, you mind editing your post to include paragraphs...its awful hard to read it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ECOLOGICAL

Good idea a few car parks outside city buses coming in from car parks security and cameras ,and MODERATOR no problem I'm paragraph friendly from now on thanks for letting me know .

Advertisement