Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopes, Plans, etc.

Options
  • 28-05-2008 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭

So for any new or recent graduates, what are your plans for the Summer and beyond? Will you be going into a related area of work?

Will you start work straight away or will you do the standard year off, go traveling spiel? Are you optimistic about your future career etc? Put your thoughts here!

My degree is in Pharmacology. I've applied for a certain job that's quite difficult to get and completely unrelated to my degree. However due to a medical issue it probably won't happen this year.

So I'll start looking for a "real" job in a related industry (maybe labwork, maybe clinical trials, I'm not too bothered) come August and just enjoy my Summer in the meantime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I just finished up 3rd year so will hopefully have an ordinary degree in Software Development. (will know on june 10th)

Really confused at this time though, I would love to go back and do 4th year and come out with a higher degree, but I would also love to start making some money.

What adds to the confusion is my father is terminally ill and he has been a huge help in getting me though college especially financially so with 4th year I would be under enormous financial strain and possibly emotionally too.

But after talking to some previous 4th year graduates they told me that 4th year is well worth it, I havealready been offered 2 positions with my ordinaty degree.

just very confused as to what to do at the minute :confused:

Have you considered taking a year out draffodx? I'd definitely recommend getting the honours degree, simply as a good back-up if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Myth wrote: »
    Have you considered taking a year out draffodx? I'd definitely recommend getting the honours degree, simply as a good back-up if needs be.

Yeh it is an option but I'm 25 in july so that would make me 27 when i take a year out and finish an honurs degree which i think would be incredibly old compared to 21 - 22 year olds applying for the same jobs as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Gonna apply for a job in UCD Buildings & Services, but me being the pessimistic sort I'm very negative about my chances of actually getting it. Despite this, I don't have any back-up option so... That's pretty much it.

Any suggestions as to what I should do otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Gonna apply for a job in UCD Buildings & Services, but me being the pessimistic sort I'm very negative about my chances of actually getting it. Despite this, I don't have any back-up option so... That's pretty much it.

Any suggestions as to what I should do otherwise?

Talk to UCD Careers, they can be quite helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

draffodx wrote: »
    Yeh it is an option but I'm 25 in july so that would make me 27 when i take a year out and finish an honurs degree which i think would be incredibly old compared to 21 - 22 year olds applying for the same jobs as me.

don't let your age put you off! you sound like you need to be around this year for your family.

i'm a new grad, in chemistry. signed up to stay on and do a PhD, so i'm taking the summer off. when my funds run out i will think about a job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

Dont late age stop you!

I finished college when I was 25. I will be 27 this year

Ive hoped around jobs for the last 2 yrs and Im on a very good salary but career wise wasnt going anywhere.

So Im now taking a drop of 14k to join a practise as a trainee chartered accountant and will qualify (fingers crossed) in 3.5yrs. Most people in the area would have qualified by now.

I wouldnt see your age as a disadvantage unless you were making a career change in your 40s which I would imagine is considerably more difficult.

Better to take the year out to get your head around everything and then go back into it and get a good honours degree.

Plus the fact that your that bit older could also stand to you as your more mature and will know what you want.

Good luck with whay ever you decide to do

its never too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I'm saying "no thanks" to the world of hellish work and going off for the year.

Leaving for India in a month:cool:

India-Nepal-Thailand-New Zealand-and the rest still to be decided!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I would *love* to be takign a year,or even a summer out, but sadly finances wont allow for that. So I got a job doing marketing type stuff... its a 5 month contract so I am quite okay with it. Not locked into anything, still job hunting on the side. Have three other prospectively better positions available, so we'll see waht comes of them.

Might be two yaers or more before I manage to get to do the travelling etc, but I am definitely hoping to do it!

Anyone else worried about the world economy and how it'll effect our chances when it comes to getting jobs, mortgages and travelling etc? Or just me watching too much news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jaunte

Worried? I am, a little.

I graduated with a general science degree 2 years ago and fell into a job that was ok-paying, but going nowhere. I'm going to do my 4th year this September, but by the time it's over I'll be a little in debt, and I'm a bit anxious... astronomy isn't a hugely employable discipline in a recessive economy.

*heebiejeebies*

• Advertisement
Advertisement