Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to cop on and get fit!

• 28-05-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Ok so basically I'm trying to get into shape with the summer challenge, get fit, lower body fat% and tone up. I'm a 21 year old female, height 5' 8".

My stats at the moment are:
    Neck 13.5
    Arm 12
    Chest 34
    Waist 30
    Hips 37
    Leg 24
    Knee 17
    Calf 15

Height 5' 7"
    Weight 144lbs
    bf% 24%

Ugh :o major work needed!

My goals are:
    -improve fitness
    -decrease bf%
    -lose inches off waist and hips

Ok so the main reason I ended up in such bad shape was due to developing a sugar addiction:oand not exercising. So the plan is to remove processed foods and sugar from my diet (except fruit), majorly cut down on carbs (carb queen here like!), eat super healthy-lots of veg and protein....and of course exercise every day, and do weights. Here we go!

Can't wait to be fit and healthy again!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Lola87

Ok so far today heres how it went:

Breakfast: mixed berries, glenisk low fat natural yogurt, 1 tbsp flaxseeds, 1 tbsp porridge oats, 1 tbsp chopped nuts.
    Snack: Slenger Pro shake (after gym) and handful of blueberries
    Lunch: Omelette (1 egg, 2 egg whites, 1 tbsp cottage cheese, chopped spinach, asparagus, tomatoes) and mixed salad
    Snack: handful walnuts, grapefruit

Dinner: ....later....will be either cod or chicken with lots of veg.

God I'm craving sugar and carbs so bad already!

Went to the gym this morn; did loads of weights, 30 min bike, 20 min crosstrainer. So unfit....nearly gave up half way through the 30 mins on the bike:( but i stuck it out and i'm so glad i did! I used to be so fit...last year it was gym everyday, spinning 4 times a week and weights every second day.......but i WILL get my fitness back!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dv6

Hey Lola, sounds like you pretty determined to get back into it, fair play, keep at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm all for everyone being healthy, fit and the correct weight. I don't think excess weight is anything to be celebrated or complacent about... but:
    Lola87 wrote: »
    Chest 34
    Waist 30
    Hips 37
    Height 5' 7"
    Weight 144lbs
    bf% 24%
    :confused:
    Going by the above stats, the fact that you say:
    Ugh :o major work needed!
    indicates you may have quite a distorted view of yourself. 34 inches is a tiny bra size, 30 inches is a perfectly healthy waist... 37-inch hips? I'm 40 inches across the hips and I pretty much don't have hips! 24% body fat is also perfectly healthy. And you're quite tall and less than 10 and a quarter stone? I appreciate you could still be unfit but being disgusted by the above stats and saying there's major work needed is quite unsettling. In fact it's a bit scary. And so is the following comment.
    ... I ended up in such bad shape

You don't sound even slightly over-weight. Just a suggestion: maybe just focus on getting fit, keeping your diet healthy (but eating plenty) and firming up any wobbly bits (in fairness, even skinny people have those) but not losing actual bulk.

Your aim to lose inches off your waist and especially hips is particularly scary.

You might think I'm being interfering, but when you post on a public forum you're inviting advice from people, and I'm only posting this because you really do put the message across that you've a very poor image of yourself going by all those put-downs, despite your stats which paint the picture of a very healthy, slim young woman.

Dudess wrote: »
    You might think I'm being interfering, but when you post on a public forum you're inviting advice from people, and I'm only posting this because you really do put the message across that you've a very poor image of yourself going by all those put-downs, despite your stats which paint the picture of a very healthy, slim young woman.

Ok yes i may not have a great body image at the moment but all i want is to tone up and lose the wobbly bits (which have mainly gathered around my waist- i.e. spare tyre LOL!). Anyway the point is i don't plan on going about this in an unhealthy way or losing massive amounts of weight. I just want to get fit and healthy after pretty much letting myself go over the last few months (college stress + excess alcohol + several chocolate treats per week + too much Ben & Jerrys:o)

I'm hoping to gain lean body mass through weight training and more protein in my diet. My weight doesn't particulary concern me it's just the wobbly bits and general unfitness (not a word!) that's the problem!

So heres to a healthier, fitter me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

all i want is to tone up and lose the wobbly bits (which have mainly gathered around my waist- i.e. spare tyre LOL!)
    A really slimline bicycle tyre I'd say ;)
    My weight doesn't particulary concern me it's just the wobbly bits and general unfitness (not a word!) that's the problem!
    Aw cool. Getting fit, eating healthy food and firming up is always good. By the end of the summer you'll have a bod to die for! And if you succumb to a KitKat once in a blue moon, don't beat yourself up, just keep going! It's not like you can't afford the odd treat anyway. And you can firm up without losing many inches so don't get too hung-up on the measuring tape. I imagine it would take quite a while for much of a difference to show up on the measuring tape considering you don't have that much to lose. But as long as the bit of wobble is lessening, that's the main thing.
    Best of luck and enjoy! :)

• Advertisement

Breakfast: Same as yesterday
    Snack: Handful pecan nuts
    Lunch: tinned salmon, large salad, 2 ryvita
    Snack: Babybel light, 1/2 grapefruit
    Dinner will be chicken, veg and chickpeas (still trying to find a nice way of adding the chickpeas to the meal....will probably make a salad with them)

Didn't make it to the gym this morning so will hopefully go later. If not I'll go for a walk on the beach...wish I could jog/run but I injured my leg last week (fear it may be shin splints so I'm going to the doctor about it later). So much for my couch to 5k plan...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dv6

Whats with the chickpeas, they some sort of super food im ingorant to?

dv6 wrote: »
    Whats with the chickpeas, they some sort of super food im ingorant to?

Not that I know of! Just needed something to replace the potatoes/rice I'd usually have!

Yesterday:

10 mins crosstrainer- warm up
    Weights:
    lat pull down 20lb 15 reps x3
    chest press 15lb 15 reps x3
    triceps press down 15lb 15 reps x3
    pec dec machine 10lb 15 reps x3
    35 mins bike- interval training (i'm pretty much making up my own spinning class type workout on the bike as theres no spinning classes for the summer:mad:)
    15 mins rowing machine

Ok so I'm going to try to increase the weights as much as i can in the coming weeks. I really want to start on the free weights but since I'm not very strong at all yet I'll wait to build up my strength first. Also i'll have to be shown how to use them:o and don't want top look like a total weakling lol!

As for diet, its gone to sh*** over the past few days, suffice to say i couldn't hack the carb/sugar cravings and gave in most days! I think small steps is the way to go with this one. I'm increasing my protein intake, cutting out processed crap, and replacing sugary foods with fruit this week. Not sure if I can give up my potato/ brown rice with my dinner just yet though!

Neck 13.5
    Arm 11.5
    Chest 34
    Waist 29.5
    Hips 36.7
    Thigh 24
    Knee 16.7
    Calf 14.6

Ok not a huge change in the measurements but to be fair last week wasn't exactly a success. Still battling with the diet-trying and failing to eat healthily a lot of the time but i will try harder this week.

Did some weights this morning using my brothers barbell and weights
    Deadlift
    12kg x3 x8

Squats
    Unweighted bar x15

Will go to the gym later for 20 mins cardio intervals and 45mins weights.

• Advertisement

Gym today:

crosstrainer 10 mins
    rower 5 mins
    Treadmill 5 mins light jog (lazy day i know!)

lat pull down
    30lb x3 x8
    triceps press down
    20lb x3 x8
    biceps curls
    3lb x3 x15
    pec dec machine
    20lb x3 x8
    leg press
    80lb x 2 x15
    90lb x 3 x15
    100lb x 8 x3
    squats (unweighted bar)
    x20
    lunges x30

Some serious DOMs in my legs from doing squats for the past few days...will i ever be able for them with the weights....afraid i'll just not be able to get back up and fall back if i've weights on the bar! We'll get there eventually though!
    Surprised myself with the leg press today, found the 100lb pretty hard but i could actually do it so i was delighted!
    Must get some more cardio done tomorrow- back to the cycling intervals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Hi Lola,

I(18 male) was randomly going through most recent posts and found yours. It appealed to me because 2 days ago I started eating completely different also and I find that you have a very similar mind as me in terms of being determined and wanting to tone up for the summer.

I don't have time to exercise as much as the Leaving cert restricts a lot of free time as study is the only thing i need to be doing right now. u no ureself as u are in college.

I don't need to loose weight but as you said you are "trying to get into shape with the summer challenge, get fit, lower body fat% and tone up"
    All I want is to make that 6 pack stand out by lowering body fat. This being done by eating correct foods and at set times during the day..etc

I wonder is there any particular cardio I can do to get away that little bit of fat around the Belly?
    I'm not talking about any abdominal exercises as I know what that is about and have done a lot of it recently. I also know 2-3 times a week is enough to work on the abdominal area.

I find myself going to the shop avoiding all junk food buying popcorn as it is only corn that is popped with a sprinkle of salt. Is it ok to eat?

barcoe4 wrote: »
    Hi Lola,

I wonder is there any particular cardio I can do to get away that little bit of fat around the Belly? I'm not talking about any abdominal exercises as I know what that is about and have done a lot of it recently. I also know 2-3 times a week is enough to work on the abdominal area.

I find myself going to the shop avoiding all junk food buying popcorn as it is only corn that is popped with a sprinkle of salt. Is it ok to eat?

Re the cardio- HIIT interval training is best e.g. on the treadmill alternate doing 60 seconds jogging/running and 90 seconds walking (to catch your breath and lower heartrate again), continue this for about 20 mins. Also do weights- this will help you burn more fat (however you should do the weights before cardio but after a light warm up so you have more energy to lift heavy)

Popcorn is a reasonably healthy snack, however not *very* nutritious considering you are doing exams at the moment and will need more energy. I would suggest high protein snacks such as unsalted nuts, a piece of ham/turkey/chicken, hard boiled egg etc. However, fruit is also a good option. Also read the stickies on the fitness forum for lots of other important info, and many of the posters there will probably be much more qualified to advise you than me!:D

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Also do weights- this will help you burn more fat

I can't afford to spend 300 odd quid on a gym right now and I don't have my own weights.

What are my alternatives? Perhaps I could bench a couple of small bicycles?:D

Gym today:

Bike 25 mins- intervals

lat pull down
    plate 30lb x3 x8
    chest press
    plate 20lb x3 x8
    biceps curls
    3lb x3 x15
    shoulder press
    plate 20lb x3 x8
    horizontal leg press