Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finland

• 28-05-2008 3:33pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am heading off to Oulu in northern Finland via Helsinki on Sunday for a week. I hope to be able to cover some things to do or see there whilst I am there, so anyone any ideas - in Helsinki perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I was a few days in Varkaus in the Lake District last year, beautiful scenic countryside. I was told by a colleague to go to Tampere actually, which is a few hours to/from Varkaus by Finlands excellent hi-speed Pendolino train services. Apparently theres a theme park or something in Tampere. Reading this i'm actually starting to consider going back, such a beautiful, clean, relaxing country. Let us know how you find it!

Link - http://wikitravel.org/en/Tampere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

When you say "via Helsinki", do you mean you'll be staying a number of days there?

Here's the forecast in Oulu for the next 5 days (pe=Friday, la=Saturday...etc and yö=night)

gramYo_Oulu_2008053015_2008052915.gif

Nothing special I know.

In Helsinki, you could visit Linnanmäki if you've got time... and cash:)

I know sweet Fanny Adams about Oulu so can't help you there :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Well I hope to have a day either side in Helsinki - that could change but hopefully not.

Tampere sounds interesting and getting about by train too :)

Tampere is OK. If you're looking for a cosmopolitan place then it would be either Helsinki or Turku.

Tampere has Särkänniemi, another funpark and small zoo. It's got telecom tower where you can eat overlooking the miles and miles of countryside and lakes. It's also where you would fly to, had you been using Ryanair. The football team is called Tampere United, called so because of its nickname "Manchester of the North" given because of its strong industrial history. The quality of football would be much the same as League of Ireland (maybe a little higher) so it's nothing special. You could go and watch a pesäpallo game (Finnish baseball). Trekking is also a popular hobby along with fishing.

If you can find a "mökki" (a summer cottage) to stay in for a night, take it. Spend the evening drinking strong spirits or flat beer, relax naked in the sauna, go for a swim naked in the lake/sea, drink some more, eat some sausages, drink some more, collapse into a drunken heap and wake up in the morning with a hangover and a million mosquito bites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Was in Helsinki for a week a while back but it was with work so only got out and about in the evenings. Found it to be a boring enough spot. Lots of pubs but all empty. Cafe/coffee shops were packed in the evening though!

Got a boat over to Talinn on my day off so that was good to see. Its an hour and a half each way, cost about €30 for a day return.

• Advertisement

Didn't get any time in Helsinki afterall :mad:

Finnair is an excellent airline. First impressions important, they excelled - the late departure was Heathrow's fault and their service is the only way I caught my connecting flight at midnight.

Oulu is nice and relaxing if astonishingly quiet even for out-of-term time through morning, day, evening and night. I think a week was enough there, but it was very nice. Went to Island Hailuoto and camped out amongst the mosquitoes..very nice running through the forests and little hamlets. Took advantage of the abundant saunas too. Salmiakki or tareschnappsi (?) is an acquired taste...:eek:

I would never ever ever get to used to no darkness though. Bright for all 24 hours. Surreal when you come out after a night out at 2am to a bright blue sky, sunrise and it's bedtime:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Bah, if I had of seen this thread earlier I could have helped you out. Have relations there.. Finland is off the chain though!

In Oulu?

Glad you enjoyed your stay. Next time you should visit a place with a population ;)
    dfx- wrote: »
    Salmiakki or tareschnappsi (?) is an acquired taste...:eek:

It definitely is an acquired taste but it's nice when you're more used to it. It's like cough medicine really, with a kick :)
    dfx- wrote: »
    I would never ever ever get to used to no darkness though. Bright for all 24 hours. Surreal when you come out after a night out at 2am to a bright blue sky, sunrise and it's bedtime:D

Even as far south as here, we get about an hour or so of "sundown" at night but it doesn't get dark at this time of year. It's taken me a while to get used to it.... no, I tell a lie, and haven't got used to it. It's 11.03 right now and I don't feel like it's bedtime. And the cat wants to go outside at 4-5 every morning. Everything is all wrong!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

deman wrote: »
    Tampere is OK. If you're looking for a cosmopolitan place then it would be either Helsinki or Turku.

Tampere has Särkänniemi, another funpark and small zoo. It's got telecom tower where you can eat overlooking the miles and miles of countryside and lakes. It's also where you would fly to, had you been using Ryanair. The football team is called Tampere United, called so because of its nickname "Manchester of the North" given because of its strong industrial history. The quality of football would be much the same as League of Ireland (maybe a little higher) so it's nothing special. You could go and watch a pesäpallo game (Finnish baseball). Trekking is also a popular hobby along with fishing.

If you can find a "mökki" (a summer cottage) to stay in for a night, take it. Spend the evening drinking strong spirits or flat beer, relax naked in the sauna, go for a swim naked in the lake/sea, drink some more, eat some sausages, drink some more, collapse into a drunken heap and wake up in the morning with a hangover and a million mosquito bites.

Hmmm we'll see about that when Cork City take on FC Haka next Thursday!!!

I'm travelling to the game, heading out from Dublin to Helsinki via Riga on Wednesday and coming home on Saturday with Aer Lingus.

Rather then me beginning a new thread can anyone here tell me of stuff to see and do around Helsinki and Tampere?

Is there any interesting museums or sights that must be seen or should I kick back and try blend in for the few days?

• Advertisement
Advertisement