Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private Irish plates?

Options
  • 28-05-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Did a little looking around on the net but cant get much info on it. Just wondering how u would go about changing to private plates, does it mean re registering the car and does it cost much, any help would be great thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

what plates are on your car already ??

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Normal irish plates, 98-D- _____ i guess its not the plates but the reg on the plate I want to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

Change to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

You can't. There is no provision in Ireland to re-register or change the registration of a car. No private plates, no vanity plates, nada...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Only if you buy the car new and register it yourself. You pay more and you still have to pick a number.

On a 98 - D your a few years too late. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

"Only if you buy the car new and register it yourself. You pay more and you still have to pick a number."

yea you pick a number before the start of th new year, say 09 d 911 or something, and when that number comes up in th issue sequence it is assigned to you. you pay 250 for the service. If lots of people want the same number, (which they would for the example above) a lottery is used to select who gets it. only th winner of the lottery pays the 250.

a couple of years ago one of my dad's friends did it, could cost a little bit more now i suppsose

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is it not first come first serve??

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

ramanujan wrote: »
    "Only if you buy the car new and register it yourself. You pay more and you still have to pick a number."

yea you pick a number before the start of th new year, say 09 d 911 or something, and when that number comes up in th issue sequence it is assigned to you. you pay 250 for the service. If lots of people want the same number, (which they would for the example above) a lottery is used to select who gets it. only th winner of the lottery pays the 250.

a couple of years ago one of my dad's friends did it, could cost a little bit more now i suppsose

Costs 315 euro to reserve a number these days afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

u can do tis on a new car if the plate is still available
    also u can do tis if importing a car from england or japan cost 300 to 350 extra

Advertisement