Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All advice...on all of it!

Options
  • 28-05-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, if this is covered somewhere else please direct me.

LC in a week and afterwards I can finally start surfing, I've been putting it off till I finished school for obvious reasons and as soon as July hits I'll be good to go. After years of hearing my brothers stories and tripping over his boards in the hall (not to mention being scared sh*tless when I spot his wetsuit hanging in the shower in the dark) I want to give it a bash. Unfortunatley, said older brother is currently diving for pearls off the coast of Broome, West Aus and is uncontact-able for weeks at a time. So I turn to you all for advice!
    Where to start I guess...

-Where to rent...and WHAT to rent, what type of board, wetsuit or drysuit..(I can't remember which is summer and which is winter) and any other gear?

-A nice easy spot to start on...Bundoran?

-Lessons near to said easy spot(for a group as ill get a few lads in aswell)

-And really any tips you can provide. I am your clay to mould, bestow your wisdom upon me!

I've not got bags of cash so the cheaper the better, Im situated in Meath, 10 minutes from Blanch and 15 from Maynooth. Ive got wheels and I'm willing to drive anywhre. All advice welcome and encouraged, cheers for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Strandhill is your nearest spot for lessons, board and suit rental. Get a few lessons to see if it is for you before you go forking out for boards with go-faster stripes.
    Don't count on the mates. Not all of them will share your enthusiasm.
    Have fun.
    Learn about the water, wind, safety and surf etiquette.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 cjs_surf

You'll get a list of surf schools and clubs on the ISA web site www.isasurf.ie

If you live near bundoran then there are surf schools on tullan strand but I'd got to Rossnowlagh or Strandhill.

If you are going to get just one suit get a winter suit and entry level one will set you back about 200 notes, DON'T get a summer on, most days in the summer here it's still fairly cold and you'll be fine in 5/3 5mm on the body 3 on the arms and maybe legs could be wrong about the legs though. Where as on a dull day you'll be solder in a summer suit 3/2.

In the winter you'll need a hood, boots and gloves but you can get them later. Maybe get boots now makes it easier walking on stony ground, have a look at the path on Tullan strand (Bundoran).

You're young so you should pick it up handy enough, board wise you normally want something that can take a beating or you don't mind getting dinged (cracked)

Normally you start out on a board 18 inches taller than you are and wide about 22 inches, most short boards are 19 inches wide and very unstable for starting out on.

Best bests are a 7'9 bic or something like a 7'6 NSP or take off. The BIC's and NSP's hold their second hand value when you want to trade it in for a better board.

You could also get a second had min-mal short long board, do a bit of googling on the web

Don't buy a performance short board now it will hold you back, you lean to drive in a simple car not a F-1 car same with surfing keep it simple

If you see a Bic 7'3 I've never know people to like them give it a miss

Get lessons first, check out the surf club in Rossnowlagh as when you join you may get a discount in the surf shops, ask first, starting out it will pay for it's self

Otherwise enjoy.

Advertisement